HUD and Deployables

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAS|Spiff

Jan 22, 2004
This is bugging me all the time, i was playing last night. Hacked some energy, but it did not increase. Some n00b was setting up rock turrets, and some field generators. There was no worning in the hud, on how many turret's he had placed... :( Can some1 please do something to this, it's very enoying. In U2XMP, u could see how many deploy's and what deploy, but not in UTXMP.... :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This HUD is fine, they could add the numbers onto it still.

Although it is in DESPERATE need of scaling. Making it less opaque helps but it still would be better to scale it down.

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Brizz have you ever really played u2xmp properly?

Nembers on the hud are VERY useful ie. the number of spammed deployables and another one that has been removed; your speed...

Artifacts do not show up properly on the new f1 menu...

Making the new HUD more opaque also makes the text more opaque - which is silly...

Would it have not make a whole lot more sense to first do an exact port, release it when ready, and then change things afterwards? One of the main ideas of the port was to please the XMP community... Has it achived this aim?

Discuss

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Eat_my_shorts said:
What's this? Asking me a question I have answered a hundred times already? I played U2XMP from the very first beta all the way until I realized that the community was not backing it and the playercounts dropped back to "normal". If you don't believe me, ask many of the beta crowd. I played with them often. And as in my other reply, how often I played U2XMP hardly has a bearing on how much my opinion matters.
Nembers on the hud are VERY useful ie. the number of spammed deployables and another one that has been removed; your speed...
Where did I say they weren't? Did I say they should leave them off? Well if you can read that into my post somehow, you might have just confirmed my worst fears.
me - FIXED said:
THEY CAN STILL ADD THE NUMBERS TO IT.
Does that help you comprehend what I was saying?
Artifacts do not show up properly on the new f1 menu...
I don't know what you mean by this. I have never had a problem.
Making the new HUD more opaque also makes the text more opaque - which is silly...
ummm....right.....the point is to make it more see-through. I have mine set to 70% and I don't have any problems reading the HUD or seeing through it.
Would it have not make a whole lot more sense to first do an exact port, release it when ready, and then change things afterwards? One of the main ideas of the port was to please the XMP community... Has it achived this aim?
No. Why does that make more sense? You know as well as anyone that people were already complaining about stuff in UTXMP that hadn't even been discussed by FMI on the forums before the Beta started. You also know as well as anyone that people were already complaining about how long the game was taking to get released as it was. I'm too lazy to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of them.

The port was meant to get XMP into a better position to be supported and patched and to bring XMP gameplay along with it. Not to bring U2XMP and all it's problems into UT2004. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if the game was 100% different and they tweaked it back to the way it was just enough to get everyone to shut up.

Reading comprehension--;

And because I know you (or someone else) is dying to make the accusation:
I don't think they should not bring the old HUD back. I just don't think they should ditch the one they have.

AshTrai

CaSuAlTy Of SoCiEtY
Nov 25, 2004
www.clanuk2.co.uk
eek look likes the HUD has hijacked another thread :s

I agree that the indicator telling u how many of each deployable there is, is useful but its hardly the most important thing to fix imo. If ur energy is getting cained then surely u know there's ****loads of deployables?

on a side note; bring back the U2XMP hud .... i loved it so :(

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Sir_Brizz said:
ummm....right.....the point is to make it more see-through. I have mine set to 70% and I don't have any problems reading the HUD or seeing through it.

The text NOT the hud - It wasn't asked whether YOU had a problem or suggested it. Was merely a comment. Not every post anyone makes is aimed at / involves YOU :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz said:
No. Why does that make more sense? You know as well as anyone that people were already complaining about stuff in UTXMP that hadn't even been discussed by FMI on the forums before the Beta started. You also know as well as anyone that people were already complaining about how long the game was taking to get released as it was. I'm too lazy to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of them.

Oh someone's rattled here aren't they ;) This is what happens in most games - Nagging programmers to release it early doesn't normally work. If i sent a letter to epic demanding that they release Unreal 3 now or i'll rape their dogs, i'm sure i would get told to eff off :D :lol:

Usual format = Programming, alpha test w/ programmers, closed beta (to iron out all but the tiniest bugs), open beta (if needed). The game is not really in beta stage yet - this is not just my opinion.

Sir_Brizz said:
The port was meant to get XMP into a better position to be supported and patched and to bring XMP gameplay along with it. Not to bring U2XMP and all it's problems into UT2004. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if the game was 100% different and they tweaked it back to the way it was just enough to get everyone to shut up.

So far they've managed to port all the old bugs and leave out the good bits of the u2 format game... Waits for it...

Sir_Brizz said:
And because I know you (or someone else) is dying to make the accusation:
I don't think they should not bring the old HUD back. I just don't think they should ditch the one they have.
Sort of half agreed there -at last :D

Personally i think there should be a choice between the two :) :)

But seriously - not everything is aimed at you. Some of the bugs found are very basic - ie. spawn points marked as raptors on the map, and the green hacking thing not stopping at the deploy. i have 2 A4 pages of stuff like this that took me 1/2 an hour to find :/ I'll type them up if i have time - which probably won't be in the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Eat_my_shorts said:
Eat_my_shorts said:
Not every post anyone makes is aimed at / involves YOU :rolleyes:

No, but yours was, then when he responded, you tell him to mind his own business. :lol:

Eat_my_shorts said:
One of the main ideas of the port was to please the XMP community... Has it achived this aim?
HAHAHA, right. I'd like a link to quote from FMI where they stated this.

The game is not really in beta stage yet - this is not just my opinion.
Actually, this build has progressed quite nicely. If this isnt a beta stage, then what is?

So far they've managed to port all the old bugs and leave out the good bits of the u2 format game... Waits for it...
Please cite specifics. Thanks. :)

IAS|Spiff

Jan 22, 2004
No use in accuseing ppl, that won't fix problem's(i know that, and i'm sorry for that.. :( )

The HUD is god, i'm not saying it's the best hud but it will do when u get to know it. And u can do some thing about it in the option menu. But the number's give u an early warning if u see that u only have 1 energy left and 12 turret's. The u can take down some sow u don't run out of energy, for capping a artifact..It's to late when u get the msg. that the artifact node is off line..But as some1 mention, it's not a major bug. Can be fixed later when game will be released as a finished game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Eat_my_shorts said:
Oh someone's rattled here aren't they ;) This is what happens in most games - Nagging programmers to release it early doesn't normally work. If i sent a letter to epic demanding that they release Unreal 3 now or i'll rape their dogs, i'm sure i would get told to eff off :D :lol:

Usual format = Programming, alpha test w/ programmers, closed beta (to iron out all but the tiniest bugs), open beta (if needed). The game is not really in beta stage yet - this is not just my opinion.
Xaero said it best, if this isn't Beta what is? It is feature complete, which in my mind is the definition of Beta. Alpha is not feature complete, the Beta Testers pretty much played an Alpha of the game. Now the public is playing a beta.

Let me also remind you that FMI is part of the COMMUNITY. They aren't a "million dollar" company, I highly doubt they are in the tens of thousand or even thousands as a company. They have no publisher support (other than the mod support Epic offers), no permanent employees, probably no income other than donations (if they accept them), and more. It's hardly wise to compare them to any for-profit company (i.e. Legend, Epic, DE, et al.) on anything. If you hadn't noticed, most of the big mods that have come out for the entire Unreal series has been released in ALPHA stage as a beta because in the mod community you either get a community fast or you die trying. Plus, it's a free-system. You don't and CANNOT charge people for a mod to any Unreal series game. It's a breach of contract. Thus, your best option for getting your mod recognized is to get something to the public to test and play and gain a following. In the public community you have the best set of beta testers you will ever find -- free ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.