how much bandwidth

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
I finally got around to setting up my serverfor FHI under Linux, give it a try at 65.241.68.151:7777. What motivated me to do this in the first place was that there was no servers for FHI this weekend, or at least the server browser didn't return any.

A few notes regarding the fact that you need to modify FHIMod.ini might have saved me a little more time, maybe someone could write instructions on how you set up a server for FHI.

Anyway, my problem is that I have limited bandwidth (about 384K up/down), although it's rock solid and low latency. I would like to know the bandwidth requirements for FHI so that I can set the number of players to a value that will ensure a good experience. This connection will also be shared for my reularg internet activity and downloads...
I never planned on running a server full time but I really like this mod and would hate to see it die due to lack of servers.

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
That's incredibly kind of you to set up a server. :)

First of all, like normal Invasion, you should be able to host about half of what you can during a normal game because of all the excess monsters and crap like that.
If you think about all the monsters on screen, and how the server has to send this data to all the clients, it's pretty reasonable.

So, if you're not playing yourself, a 28KB/s upload should handle about 4 players. A 38.4KB/s upload would probably handle 5, maybe 6 at a push. Make sure you find FHI.ini in your UT2004/System/ folder (another problem of Epic's, the file is supposed to save in the mod directory, but it doesn't) and find:

[FHI.FHI]
MMPP=5

Set MMPP (max monsters per player) to something like 2 to make sure your upstream doesn't get crowded.

The more upstream you have, the more players you can host, basically. Morph's 100MBit server (when he was still renting it) could handle 24 player Invasion.. yikes :eek:

Anyway, you'll have to launch the server via UCC because of another Epic problem. UCC is in UT2004/System/, so once you've navigated there, launch it like so:

UCC server FHI-mapname -mod=FHIMod

If you need any more in-depth detail, just ask, although given the CPB2 volume 2, Alien Swarm and other downloads, FHI players will be pretty thin at the moment.
You'd be best to wait off for v3 which will feature objective-based maps, bosses at the end of some maps, new weapons, models, content, etc.. :)

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
It's not kindness, it's selfishness. I want to play the mod and it's more fun with other people.

I have it currently setup for 4 players (assuming the web admin setting work). We'll see how that works and may bump it up, or take the server down altogether depending on the results. I also have voice chat enabled and I could turn it off if it uses too much bandwidth.

It's up and running, I guess some of the problems ran into where the fact that I didn;t have ut2k4secure and that I didn't know mods had their own ini file, so the server always showed up as yours (admin name"parser", by the way, there is a passwrd in the FHIMod.ini, so you may want to change it on your own machine if it's public). Also since I dont use port 80 for the web admin, it wasn't working because your setting forced it back to 80. No biggie but it took a little extra time to work through those details.

By the way, do you know of a way to measre the bandwidth actually used by the server (it's basically the only thing using the Internet on that machine so I supposed anything that will measuer Internt usage in and out of the box would be enough. I'm running Linux).