How important is music?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

is music important to have in maps?

• yes, essential

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • it's nice, nut not required

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • no. atomosphere has nothing to do with music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i turn off the music when I play, so... I dont know

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Just out of curiosity and my regular cynical thinking, how important is music in unreal maps? Would a mapper or modeller be more important than a tracker? I'm just wondering why this field is so sparse. UT is the perfect medium for trackers that want to get their stuff heard. It has to be the simplest thing to do in UEd.
I just think that as much effort a mapper puts into a map whatever it is a certain atmophere can never be reached until music is added.
Think about the Unreal DM maps. Or ever the custom made UT maps that the authors forgot to add music into.

A perfect example of atmosphere from music is CTF-Face.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Yeah... Lost count of how many times I've seen a third party map that, while otherwise decent, has that niggling flaw of the author forgetting to plonk music in :)

It certainly is important :)

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
An excellent example of how music and sound influence a game's atmosphere: Undying

/me wonders why so many mods and mappers never look for trackers

Major_Error

Camper in Progress
Jul 17, 2000
The Netherlands
Music is important even for mods such as ours, thats the reason we are thrilled to have orchestra music for Single player campaign &menu´s and more action typ of music in Multiplayer maps.

DarMonkey

Primate Hick
Dec 13, 2001
Under Where?
www.darmonkey.com
I play with the music volume very low so I can hear all that is going on around me with the SoundFX, but to truly enjoy the game you have to play with they music volume high. A true realistic atmosphere cannot be reached without the perfect music.