How does the linkgun work again?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
GoldenDragon'sGuide said:
<AltFire is> damage/second=(1+1.5 * amount of linked players) * damage/second
But I thought it wasn't linear, so linking only increased the damage per sec/player ratio for a certain number of linked players. If this is the case, what is the most efficient number of players linking. When will it be better for players to break off into another link train to make best use of the player link's increase in damager per sec/player ratio.

Also how does Amp and bezerk affect a link train?

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I've also heard that from clanmates, but didn't have the time to ask for details about it. As such, I can't add anything to what's in my guide right now :hmm:

The double damage gets calculated after the calculation of the linking up; it's not important who among the chain has the thing. This means that 2 people sharing a link and a single damage amp deal (2*30) *2 =120 damage/hit on an infantry. I assume the berserk works the same way for alt fire*, but haven't tested it or seen it in action.

*by the same analogy, prim fire should fire faster for the first person in the chain.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Can I get that formula in a manner that might actually make sense, like in damage per hit, perhaps? This recursive damage per second formula isn't doing it for me. I hate teh maths.

Sh*t. Speaking of which, I forgot I have a combinatorics exam in 6.5 hours. :(

Also, this is my 4,000th post.
gorf.gif

Last edited:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
The only thing I noticed is if you've a double damage in ONS and use the link to build a node it doesn't get built any faster from what I've seen. Then again, I node nothing!

Turns2Ashes said:
... this is my 4,000th post.

[Voice=AlienMaleA]Spammer![/Voice] :lol:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Turns2Ashes said:
Can I get that formula in a manner that might actually make sense, like in damage per hit, perhaps? This recursive damage per second formula isn't doing it for me. I hate teh maths.

Sh*t. Speaking of which, I forgot I have a combinatorics exam in 6.5 hours. :(

Also, this is my 4,000th post.
gorf.gif
Damage per hit on the alt fire? that's rather hard, since the alt fire is always continuous...therefore, damage/second is a better estimate (82.5...according to some finding somewhere). Maybe this is a bit easier to understand:

0 persons linking you: (1+1.5*0)*82.5=82.5/second
1 persons linking you: (1+1.5*1)*82.5=206.25/second
2 persons linking you: (1+1.5*2)*82.5=330/second

Congratulations on the 4k post :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The link gun has a firing rate just like any other weapon, and it does 9 damage per hit under non-linked circumstances. As far as I'm concerned the damage/second numbers mean nothing because no one can hold the thing on a person for a solid second (not to mention 82.5 damage/second sounds bloated).

Point is the drawing of the beam is continuous; the registering of hits is not. Instead, it works more like the minigun, only minus the random cone of fire. Whatever its firing rate is, it checks that many times per whatever unit of time the game uses to see if you're crosshair is pointed at someone via a trace and if that someone is within trace range. If so, take 9 hit points off of them. The gun is definitely not continuous; UTComp isn't lying when its hitsounds aren't a steady stream - that's the gun's firing rate and that's how quickly it's taking traces. This is why you can whip the beam back and forth over someone several times and not register a hit: It traces when the beam's on one side of them, then you move it over them, and it traces its next hit once you've moved the beam to the other side. If it were continuous, you'd get a hit in the middle, but you don't. This is why the link gun is so terribly weak (compared to the UT pulse secondary and Q3's lightning gun) because they set its firing rate too low, so it's really easy to have your crosshair on someone between traces where you can do no damage but then lose them from under your crosshair when the trace actually happens.

And that's why continuous damage per second is a pretty useless stat to know, especially if you're used to counting UTComp hitsounds to figure out how much damage you've done. Damage/second is impractical due to how unreliable the gun is to actually use. Thus, gimme a formula for damage/hit. :D

This low lethality (is that a word?) of the link secondary is probably why they added in its ability to stop people from dodging away. Without that feature, the gun would be absolutely impossible to kill with. Their best course of action was to up the firing rate, but they added a lock-down instead. :rolleyes:

PS: ^ Not spam. And that's how most of my posts are. :p

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
From LinkProjectile.uc (link projectiles):
Code:
simulated function HitWall(vector HitNormal, Actor Wall)
{
        Damage *= 1 + Links;

Super.HitWall(HitNormal, Wall);
}
From LinkFire.uc (link beam):
Code:
simulated function float AdjustLinkDamage( LinkGun LinkGun, Actor Other, float Damage )
{
        return Damage * (1.5*Linkgun.Links+1);
}
So link primary damage is 30 * (1 + number of linked people), and link alt damage per hit is 9 * (1 + 1.5 * number of linked people), rounded down (so 1 linked person is 22 damage/hit).

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
Turns2Ashes said:
And that's why continuous damage per second is a pretty useless stat to know, especially if you're used to counting UTComp hitsounds to figure out how much damage you've done. Damage/second is impractical due to how unreliable the gun is to actually use. Thus, gimme a formula for damage/hit. :D
Surely though, if you know the damage/second of a weapon, you've got a good idea of how much damage you're doing as long as you're aware of how often you're hitting? Even if it isn't constant.
Turns2Ashes said:
lethality (is that a word?)
Yes :D.

Last edited:

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, but it's still easier when you're like "Oh, I just hit that guy with a shock beam then heard that link alt hit that guy 5 times. He must be down to 10 health. :c"

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Does alt link fire do more damage for headshots?

And as a matter of fact, does anyone have a link to a page that breaks out all the damage for each weapon and how headshot is factored in?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
One you lock the target, two you bait the line, third you slowly spread the net...

JagoXmp said:
Does alt link fire do more damage for headshots?

And as a matter of fact, does anyone have a link to a page that breaks out all the damage for each weapon and how headshot is factored in?

The only weapons with the deadshot ability are the Ltg and the SR. Every other weapon does the same damage, no matter where you hit the target.

[EDIT] Virtual cookie for anyone who names the tune...

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Nereid said:
So link primary damage is 30 * (1 + number of linked people), and link alt damage per hit is 9 * (1 + 1.5 * number of linked people), rounded down (so 1 linked person is 22 damage/hit).
So the link alt fire deals 9 damage per hit. Is there an indication of how often per second a hit is registered if you keep your aim at the enemy? Of all the weapons, the link alt fire is the only one where I can't break it down to 'this is one single hit'.

(of course, if the 82.5 is correct, then there are 9.16 'hits'/second)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
There can't be a fraction of a hit with the link gun, so there's no way it's 82.5 damage.
LinkFire.uc said:
FireRate=0.12
That means it hits 8 times per "second" (remember, a second isn't really a second in UT due to upped time dialation), or 8*9 = 72 damage per second if you hold it on a person solid.

It actually hits 8 times for two seconds then 9 times for the third second, assuming you never break your aim during those seconds. If you count up by .12 you'll see why. Even further proof that damage/second is useless. :D

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Turns2Ashes said:
There can't be a fraction of a hit with the link gun, so there's no way it's 82.5 damage.
That means it hits 8 times per "second" (remember, a second isn't really a second in UT due to upped time dialation), or 8*9 = 72 damage per second if you hold it on a person solid.

It actually hits 8 times for two seconds then 9 times for the third second, assuming you never break your aim during those seconds. If you count up by .12 you'll see why. Even further proof that damage/second is useless. :D
Seems correct...so once again, my guide is wrong :hmm:

The only thing I'd like to point out that 0.12 is according to the intern clock, which has only 55 seconds per minute. So the real hit-delay is actually...
55 -> 60
0.12 -> X

-> X=0.12*60 / 55 = 0.1309 seconds

making the damage per second: 9 / 0.1309=68.75

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Linkage

The funny thing is, this weapon, when used properly, just straight melts people...

I hardly care how much exact damage it does...

In either event, you need a denominator, and to me the most logical denominator other then time, would be ammo.

1 link ammo expended in shaft, unlinked does 9 damage. Most stat counters take one ammo for a hit, and so if comp calls 1 sound to 1 hit to 1 ammo, then you have your answer, 9 damage a plink.

1 linker, and it does 13 per plink, which fits the previously stated factor of 1.5.

(1+1.5 x 1) 9 = 22.5 ~ 23. 1 link.
(1+1.5 x 2) 9 = 34.0 = 34. 2 links.
(1+1.5 x 3) 9 = 49.5 ~ 50. 3 links.
(1+1.5 x 4) 9 = 63.0 = 63. 4 links.

Which one is most efficient, would be dictated by how ammo is expended.

If per hit, each linker, and the shaft weilder expend 1 ammo each, then it would be more efficient, in the odd numbered groups, starting at 1. Naturally, with multiple people aiming, their individual accuracy facotrs in, and if one can't hit anything with it, and the other can, then the answer changes.

Bolts are a bit different IIRC, in my testing, they do 30, 60, and 90, which makes little difference how you split the linkage. Oddly enough, I can't confirm this, because these hacking bots will only link me if I shaft...

Last edited:

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Taleweaver said:
-> X=0.12*60 / 55 = 0.1309 seconds

making the damage per second: 9 / 0.1309=68.75
More like 0.12 / 1.1 = 0.109 seconds, making the damage per second equal to 82.57 damage/second. The 1.1 comes from Level.TimeDilation, and that's where the 55 seconds per minute thing comes from (it's actually 60/1.1 = 54.5454545...)

It really, really doesn't matter. I just go by hitsounds and 9 damage/hit.

Last edited:

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Actually, correction: It's actually 0.12 / 1.1 = 0.109 seconds, making the damage per second equal to 82.57 damage/second. It is influenced slightly by things like tickrate though.

Blah.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Nereid said:
Actually, correction: It's actually 0.12 / 1.1 = 0.109 seconds, making the damage per second equal to 82.57 damage/second. It is influenced slightly by things like tickrate though.

Blah.
So the value I first gave was correct after all?

(some irony)