Hover boards?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
That's as likely to die as the default "weapon/vehicle X is overpowered/weak"-comments or the "Hellbender was stolen from Halo"-comments.

It's pretty much a given that in any discussion involving hoverboards someone in the anti-hoverboard-crowd is going to use the "Tony Hawk"-comparison as a basis for their reasoning.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
I don't really care where they got their inspiration (notice the word inspiration) from...as long as it is cool and fun. So far everything I have seen has me seriously stoked. The walkers look awesome and the boards... well after seeing them, I have changed my mind and feel they will fit into UT quite nicely and will add some much needed movement in ONS. (At first I thought it sounded really dumb, to be honest.)

I have already imagined myself gliding down a hill (like Torlan or something) towards a furball and jumping off a dozen yards away to join the chaos as I whip out my flak cannon. :D

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
im looking forward to them working out and being fun but i still have reservations, mostly because we all know..

JaFO said:
Of course there's going to be *ssholes that will find a way to exploit it in a way to make the game non-fun, even with Epic's best efforts.

and so im just hoping whatever exploits (ala shield jumping, dodge boosting, tele punting) are discovered that they arent too bad and that they are quickly squashed with updates/patches.

ONS needs to survive & thrive to keep UT alive and itd be sad to see HBoards goof that all up.

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
I personally like the idea of having HBoards. If there are great distances between the power nodes and no action or speedy vehicles nearby, a lot of the action dies.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I must say, I'm no longer worried about hoverboards.

If a shot makes them tumble; predict a shockball to where they'll tumble to, hit them with shock primary, hit the combo, and that'll be that. The important thing is that Epic has made it clear that they are for travel only, and in combat they leave you at a disadvantage.

So it'll work.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah he clearly mentioned that you can knock the player off the board and once you use the board you have no weapon, it's only for getting into the action faster.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Don't know why you guys worry so much in the first place...

This is round 2 for them in onslaught, I'm sure they are paying attention to past mistakes... Look at how much more balanced AS was in 2k4, and with simple changes like "no sg jumps."

Most of the big problems or exploits can be chalked up to "first time releasing this gametype."

Remember, they don't do open betas...

Gorzakk

Scorpion Powah!
Apr 25, 2006
briach said:
OMG players moving fast sucks. It means I can't defend choke points as easily. This game will suck.

The "1337" people that like playing games for fun and the fast paced aspect will be able to exploit their dexterity, prediction, and smarts to overcome my campish lame strategies.

If a map can be held by campers (i.e. it has choke nodes with no cut off options) then that map aint finished yet.

I want vehicles to be the only way to get around in vehicle gametypes, because the vehicle movement is increasing and the player movement is being nerfed. I want vehicles to be super secure, so there is less chance of hijacking. I want this to be vehicular king of the hill, where whoever gets in the vehicle first will have the momentum for the rest of the game. I want more vehicle spawn camping. I'm too lazy to shoot things in the air, so I like using splash damage on the ground. I play for the score, nothing else. The game being slow doesn't bother me.

Well there is 101 other gamemodes without vehicles, so why take the one mode with vehicles and nerf them? Vehicle based teamplay is the only thing that appeals to me in Unreal tbh. I never play DM or any other miscellanious gametype. I hope there is a no hoverboard mutator, and I hope that if they do turn out to be lame public servers will use it.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Gorzakk said:
Well there is 101 other gamemodes without vehicles, so why take the one mode with vehicles and nerf them? Vehicle based teamplay is the only thing that appeals to me in Unreal tbh. I never play DM or any other miscellanious gametype. I hope there is a no hoverboard mutator, and I hope that if they do turn out to be lame public servers will use it.
Hoverboards would do the opposite. They'd allow the gamemakers to not have to nerf the vehicles to compensate for slower player movement.

Who cares if there is a hoverboard mutator? Just don't play on the servers with the mutators you don't like. It's that simple.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Gorzakk said:
If a map can be held by campers (i.e. it has choke nodes with no cut off options) then that map aint finished yet.

I agree with the first part but dont quite understand the second part. I don't see how it will be nerfed with the inclusion of the Hboards.

Either way I just wanted to point out that briach posted that message in jest. I'm pretty sure he wasn't serious. (read posts directly after it.)

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I am very excited about the hoverboards inclusion into UT2k7 :)

I think it'll be so helpful for those times when you get abandoned in the middle of nowhere.

What i'm wondering though is are these boards going to spawn at nodes only, or will we be able to whip them out when desired :lol:

Also, i am secretly hoping for tons of hoverboards mods for stunting, etc.

Can you imagine hoverboard TDM :D

I can.

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
JackSlap8976 said:
... but as for seeing it in unreal...the chaos team in my opinion has had a great influence on our gaming experience...

Thanks for the recognition. :)

In-The-Jungle said:
Eventually a mod will be released that allows firing while on the hoverboards. Will be fun as hell too. I can just imagine the amount of 'hoverboard only' mod maps. lol.

I wouldn't count on it, not unless they change a lot of how the code works. The issue of not having your weapons available on the board was an engine limitation, and not a design choice (or to be more precise - we assume it was, based on our experience). In Chaos we opted to get around that engine-limitation by giving HB riders a designated HB weapon.

Einstijn said:
Dont know if anybody thought about this but what happens when u link ur hooverboard to a raptor ?

Oh yeah. We've done more than think about it. And if you're not allergic to mods, give it a shot. It's fun.

http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c2_screenshots/cctf/board_grapple3.jpg

-n7- said:
Can you imagine hoverboard TDM

Haven't tried that yet, but you can try 'HyperBoard CTF' soon if you want (a Chaos take on 'low-grav insta-gib vehicle ctf').

http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c2_screenshots/cctf/hbctf9.jpg
http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/c2_screenshots/cctf/hbctf11.jpg

I can't wait to play UT2007. Hope it works well enough on my computer.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
R.Flagg said:
I wouldn't count on it, not unless they change a lot of how the code works. The issue of not having your weapons available on the board was an engine limitation, and not a design choice (or to be more precise - we assume it was, based on our experience). In Chaos we opted to get around that engine-limitation by giving HB riders a designated HB weapon.
What specific limitations, if you don't mind my asking? Epic obviously wouldn't have a problem like that since they can change whatever they want in the engine...

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Kharnellius said:
I agree with the first part but dont quite understand the second part. I don't see how it will be nerfed with the inclusion of the Hboards.

Either way I just wanted to point out that briach posted that message in jest. I'm pretty sure he wasn't serious. (read posts directly after it.)
My guess is he realizes it's sarcasm, and therefore is assuming that what briach actually wants is for vehicles to be nerfed (since that's the opposite of what he said in jest) in order to compensate for non-nerfed player movement... As though he's taking what briach said and swinging it to the opposite extreme to compensate for the sarcasm, disregarding all the potential fine lines along the way...
I coudl be wrong, of course, and I'm sure I'll be corrected in no time.

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
What specific limitations, if you don't mind my asking? Epic obviously wouldn't have a problem like that since they can change whatever they want in the engine...

We agree, it probably could be done, and there have been lots of hours by our Jb and a handful of skilled community coders exploring the idea. However, the issue becomes is the result worth the time/effort required to pull it off (as is the case with so many other cool ideas - coders can really bring a party down sometimes, what with all their insistence on dealing with reality and whatnot ;) )

This is from our dev section some time ago, but I don't think Jb would mind me quoting him here on this:

"... starting with UT2k3 your player consist of a pawn and a controller class. The controller is what handles your input (or its a bot class) as it "posseses" your pawn, and the pawn is just what we see. The problem we have is that when you enter the vehicle, you "un-posses" the player pawn and now possess the vehicle. The problem stems from the fact that your weapons are keep in your player pawn class which looses all direct control when you posses the vehicle. What we have been able to do is hack in a way to do some firing, but its not at all what we need to do to be the same thing. There are other things going on when you hit fire and the code stars firing. These are all hidden in native code. Solid Snake and I have discussed it and we dont see any way out with the current design. Not saying we could not get it to work, but when we look at the time and the unknown it seems to be too high of a price to pay when the outcome is an uknown at best. "

Gorzakk

Scorpion Powah!
Apr 25, 2006
Kharnellius said:

Infantry is being given a method to get around the fact there are vehicles. In UT2k4 infantry is already overpowered vs some vehicles that it really shouldnt be (scorpions and leviathans). Now hoverboards? I can just see really good DMers coming to ONS and being able to keep a match down using infantry weapons only, therefore reducing the value of the vehicles. Currently in ONS you at least need the vehicles to get you from node to node, as walking distances are too much. This forces good DMers to use vehicles and they are at least vunerable that way, so pure ONSers can beat them. UT2k7 ons is giving them a way to by pass that and attack any node/core on foot. :mad:

This is just an assumption of course and I am subject to getting things wrong. I am just saying this is how it looks from my angle now.