Hollywood at it again??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
Seems that in Tom Cruises new film "The Few" he will be playing Billy Fiske (For those that don't know Billy Fiske is cited for the film as the first american killed in uniform in WW2), he was flying for the RAF in the Battle of Britain, now are hollywood going to stick to the facts!

Billy Fiske, had NO confirmed kills to his name, flew Hurricanes NOT spifires and surviving ground crew members describe him as "Just another pilot" and "unremarkeable", in-fact 2 other american pilots were killed before fiske, but it seems that they weren't as good "propaganda" material back-home!

It seems though that Hollywood is going to create another "celluloid-myth" of a crack american fighter squadron saving Britain from the Nazi's!

It's "The Great Escape", "Braveheart", "Titanic", "U-571" or "The Patriot" all over again! Can't they just find a good story and tell it?? Billy Fiskes story show's a remarkeable amount of bravery and heroism as it is without creating another ficticious piece of Hollywood rubbish passed off as historical fact!

At least the classic "Battle of Britain" show's the fact that the R.A.F. had pilots from all over the world flying for them, though only a tiny few were in fact american!

Last edited:

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
What was wrong with The Patriot? I think the guy portraying the British cavalry officer (the patriot) did a splendid job. Oh, wait, do you mean someone thinks the title role was handled by Gibson? :eek:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Hey ! Finally a good movie with Tom ... he gets shot in the end ;)
(that is if they stick to the facts ... :()

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
The producers of "The patriot", admitted that they went over the top with the portrayal of the bad behaviour of the English soldiers with NO historical evidence to support it!

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
I know Holywood will twist the truth, they can't help. Then to make things worse the uneducated Americans will believe its true (Sorry don't mean to cause offense to all Americans here just the ones that will believe anything that holywood says). Whats worse is that there are some dumb idiots over here that will believe its true. I would just love it if someone made a film about an American Event, and portraid it completly differently. Would be interesting to see how the America would react to that.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
pfff, its like Pearl Harbour where the japanese naval fighter-planes attacked a hospital :rolleyes:

****ing hollywood and their so-called "historical" bull****. The only DECENT historical WWII film i have seen is the Band of Brothers series produced by Steven Spielburg and Tom Hanks. Everything else is just **** and so off the truth, that i'd rather watch historical documentaries.

as on the comment about uneducated americans, we all know that some are led to believe that Sadam had connections to Osama and that the Americans where the main cause for beating the Germans in 1944-5 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I suppose I will have to wait and see exactly how much they distort things, but my initial reaction is that this just isn't cricket.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
i mean if its Tom Cruise, he HAS to be some kind of hero right? like that american he played that saved japan's tradition in The Last Samurai :rolleyes: To think that the last samurai happened to be an american played by T.Cruise is just sickening.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
What else is new? Hollywood did it already in the early 60's with the movie about the sabotage of the heavy water plant in Norway during WW2. The americans were portrayed as the big heroes while the norwegian resistance only had a minor role in it, according to Hollywood. I guess the Norwegian resistance wasn't "interesting" enough, but as usual they manage to make a "documentary drama" of it to make it seem the events portrayed actually took place.

Anyone believing anything that comes out of Hollywood is an idiot.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
ninjin said:
To think that the last samurai happened to be an american played by T.Cruise is just sickening.

Odd. I got a totally different take on that. To me, the "Last Samurai" was the guy who died at the end. I suppose you could then say that Tom Cruise killed the Last Samurai, but that's not quite as bad.

Really, Tom's character wasn't a Samurai, or he would have killed himself to redeem his honour.

Bh

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
And U-571 depicted the events of a British sub team.

Face it, we'll pillage anyone's history for material.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Jesus christ. I suppose that he'll single-handedly save Britain no doubt :rolleyes:

EDIT- if Holywood wants an American "hero". why not make a film about Jimmy Davies? At least he actually shot down 6 planes and was killed the day he was going to recieve the DFC...

Last edited:

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
ninjin said:
i mean if its Tom Cruise, he HAS to be some kind of hero right? like that american he played that saved japan's tradition in The Last Samurai :rolleyes: To think that the last samurai happened to be an american played by T.Cruise is just sickening.

That's not what the movie was about at all. If you ask me, it was decidedly anti-american. It criticized the mass murdering of Native American tribes and the corrupt captalistic greed taking over Japan's culture (to which it backed off where it could have really went all the way). I can't recall one part of that movie that put American/Western society in good light. Hell, he wound up wanting to stay in Japan rather than go home.

It also can't be said that he saved Japan's tradition since the Samari were wiped out in the end. Did you even watch this movie?

EDIT

I also don't believe this movie even pretended to be based on historical fact. It was just a story. Nothing more; nothing less.

Your comment just screams of the same bigotry that you're trying to denounce.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2001
England
Keiichi said:
..... I hate you so much...
-Keiichi

Lol! Then I shouldnt tell you I'm going to live over there for the next year with her :lol:

I'll make a thread about this before I go (very soon).

[edit] and yes, kill bill does rule, as does Zatoichi.

Last edited: