Hide the gun in 3rd persion view?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EdudDiputs

May 23, 2009
I posted this topic over here
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=680659

But I wanted to see if ya'll know anything about how to do this.

The only examples that I can think of use custom animations so I am guessing that may be the only way to do this.

EdudDiputs said:
I've seen a couple of character models where the gun is completely hidden in 3rd person. Off hand I know that the Homestarrunner, Bass and old Megaman models all hide the gun in 3rd person.

I wanted to know if anyone know how this was done.
I have a model rigged to one of UT2004's standard animations. But this model already has a gun in hand as part of the mesh. Is it possible to hide the gun from this model?
tzrksvsrlb.jpg

This is the model. You can see he has a grey cannon in addition to the mini-gun. I would like to hide the mini-gun so he just shoots from they grey one. If anyone could tell me how, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Joel

Thanks again,

-Joel

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
From what I understand, it's entirely possible to get rid of the gun. I read the Epic forums post reply, something about using a mutator to hide the model or something like that.

However, in one of the character packs I have that I made with a bunch of friends, some of the characters don't carry weapons. This was unintentional, of course, but they also referenced the default Jugg animation set. From this, as well as the fact that the Bass model doesn't rely on a mutator or anything to achieve the result you want, I can safely say that won't need a mutator to work.

I don't have too much time to research, but I'm a bit curious about this, myself. I'll look into it for a bit and let you know if I find anything. If you find something out before I do, let me know... I want to know, too. ;)