"Headshot" a vehicle?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
If they give vehichles weak spots, that will be fine. If they make vehichles with massive ammounts of armour a la BF2 and force the game to be vehichle vs vehichle, that would be bad.

So armour is fine as is. Adding some weak spots that need considerable skill to exploit will be fine - e.g. small areas as a weak spot, and make it so that only infantry can exploit them with rockets or nades.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by briachiae
I'm pretty sure ut2004 uses hitboxes for players, but the headshot area is semi-per-polygon hit detection, because the calculation is taken from where the neck bone is midway through the animation it is going through, or something like this.
UT2004 characters don't have hitboxes, there are 3 ways to prove this.
1. Ragdoll physics would not work smoothly if the character collision consisted of boxes (no sliding etc.)
2. If they did have so many hit boxes on the character that it was a smooth body it would kill the performance of the game and give it a framerate like 15 FPS. I know this because I was making a mod that gives the vehicles many hitboxes so that they have good hit-detection and collision. It worked great, so well that when a raptor lands it would be tilted 45 degrees for its tail is higher than its chest so when it lands the tail would push down giving it this realistic tilt. I would show you a pic of these awesome physics but I deleted this mod after finding its flaw in game. The flaw was that I had 25 hit boxes for the Raptor, and this killed game performance. ( it was still an awesome mod).
3. In Unreal Ed you can make it show hitboxes, the vehicles have hitboxes but the characters don't.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
All this talk about having damage dealt differently to vehicles dependant on where you shoot, and what weapon you use. I don't understand why no one has just suggested making a specific anti vehicle weapon to inflict such damage? :confused:

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
hehe

what about bulletproof glass and tires...can't you shoot a hole in it with a sniper rifle?? :sniper: and get it all hard to drive:D
also, some parts could be blasted open or apart
such as the hellbender-rip off the door with a rocket launcher??:D
or take the covering off a hellbender's engine and destroy it...

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
could be a cool thing. something like tagging a vehicle in the same place twice within a certain amount of time or hitting a critical spot 2-3 times with the same weapon could lead to some fun announcements...

"Right on Target", "Critical Hit!", "Vehicular Meltdown!", "Car Bomb", "Major Malfunction", etc....

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
@sach

players have hitboxes

there is even a console command to view them

headshots are calculated differently

if you would like to know how headshots are calculated, search for anything I or 1337 posted with the keyword "headshot" in it, becuase I'm not going to write about it again, and I don't want to search for it myself.

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
edhe and rhirud hit the point best.

First of all, vehicles are certainly not overpowered in this game, all of them except the Lev are combatable on foot...particularly mantas, scorpians and hellbenders (as long as they don't have gunners).
This makes sense, they are vehicles, they are supposed to be stronger, and I think Epic got it spot on when it comes to their armour. I mean a tank...it does only take 4 Avril hits. Sure, going one on one with it and you are certainly going to lose sometimes....especially of the geography doesn't favour hiding places, but really...ITS A TANK FFS. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!
The idea of vehicle damage affected the handling, in my opinion, sucks. That's something best saved for a realism racing game or whatever, not Unreal.

However, I don't think the idea of a spot on a vehicle which is slightly weaker and takes more damage is a bad idea at all. It would have to be as rare as headshots on people though.
Edhe's idea of the underbelly of a manta is nice as you usually only see that upclose when someone is trying to hop up and crush you...it would be nice to know that a very well placed shock beam could kill the manta just as he is about to pancake you.
On other vehicles I would guess a small place on the back...as most times when you are run over it is by someone going forwards, it would be nice to be able to dodge a scorp or bender and then hit it a few times on the rear "headbox" to take more damage off it than usual.
Tanks...hmmz...don't know as tanks move backwards as often as they do forwards. Perhaps a small spot on the back of the turret itself rather than the back of the main body. The turret is usually facing the action and it's therefore harder to hit the back of it. On the rear of the body though it would make a tank even easier for mantas to take out.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Exactly, if you take the time to aim on someones head (and do it good) you get rewarded by a "headshoot" and an instant kill.
Vehicles oth doesnt have that, it doesnt matter where you hit it (AFAIK).

And i agree it shouldnt be easy.

PureOwnage

I like guns!
Aug 5, 2005
Anaheim, CA
www.myspace.com
I likw the idea of the,"weak" spots in tanks and such. Kind of like in GTA:SA if you shoot the gas tank(but a much smaller target in UT 2k7). I mean 1 on 1 with a tank no advantage.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Where is it?

I tried to shoot though a hellbender but it never worked. I could only shoot though manta and scorpions.

You can throw grenades inside a hellbender maybe I don't remember. Or if you walk in a hellbender with grenades on, some get attached inside it. Actually I'm not sure because I haven't played ONS in forever.

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
:rockon::rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:my legions of headbanging devil worshipers shall convert you.
will you follow??
no, no headshotting vehicles