"Headshot" a vehicle?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I havent played much ONS but if iirc it didnt matter WHERE you hit the vehicle?

Ive been playing some BF2 recently and shooting the tanks on the front armor does LESS damage than shooting the back or the front treads.

Has anyone read or heard if Epic will add some of this?

Shooting the tire area of a scorpion making it explode while the tire is still bouncing would be awesome :)

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
What i really meant was weak spots on the vehicles identical to headshot on players.
But i guess you understood that perfectly didnt you? :p

Turret 49: do you have a link to where Epic said that or do you remember where you read it?

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
He means weak points. So if you shoot a very specific spot on the vehicle you are rewarded with twice or something amount of damage a normal hitbox hit would do.

This would be awesome. It would make the vehicles feel more believable. Right now vehicles are more like giant collision boxes with vehicle physics than believable vehicles.

This would add a lot to the game, imo. In vehicle gameplay it would be nice if there was more quality over quantity elements.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
briachiae said:
He means weak points. So if you shoot a very specific spot on the vehicle you are rewarded with twice or something amount of damage a normal hitbox hit would do.

Right. Otherwise known as locational damage or critical hit.

I don't remember where the "treadshot" thing came from, but I do remember seeing it as well.

I dunno, though, you'd have to pick which weapons could score a critical on a vehicle... just as not all weapons can deal a headshot, IMO not all weapons should be able to critcal a vehicle.

I'm also thinking it should be as hard to score a critical hit on a vehicle as it is to score a headshot.

I like the idea, needs fleshing out.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Yea hitting a tire seems a bit easy compared to a headshot.
But like has been said, if only certain weapons could do it it could work.

It would be really nice if the vehicles FELT real when you destroyed them.
It should be FUN and SPECTACULAR to destroy vehicles! :D

Syberdoor

Aug 19, 2005
I think hitting a tire wouldn't be an appropriate comparison to a headshot. It wouldn't damage a vehicle at all if it has a falt tire it would rather make it uncontrolable. So that would be as adding a system like some racing games have, the moredestroyed a car the less controlable, but I do not think that fit's into an unrela game. It would be the same as doing a playermodel where you can be hit in the foot, which costs almost no hitpoints but afterwards you cannot move anymore, or hit in the arm which causes you to be unable to use your weapon.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I like the concept. More in the context of "hitting the engine or tires causes 1.5x damage" than to be able to put crucial shots on vehicles, but it certainly has potential. :tup:

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Taleweaver said:
I like the concept. More in the context of "hitting the engine or tires causes 1.5x damage" than to be able to put crucial shots on vehicles, but it certainly has potential. :tup:

Nah... IMO it should be more like "hitting a very small section of the back that represents the engine would cause 4x damage"... tiny insta- kill hitbox, just like the headshot.

Logically it should be an AVRiL feature, but if you did it that way it would just ammount to dumb luck as to whether or not you scored the critical.

Red Orchestra has this feature... when they first came out with it, Ramm posted a diagram of how it works, and it's like somehow there was a hit "sphere" contained inside the tank model. Hits to that sphere did more damage.

TBH I'm not really sure how hit detection on vehicles works, though.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Kantham said:
UT2007 that is?
Yeah i've been playing 2k7 on and off recently :con:

Vehicle headshots will have to be hard, and rare though. Otherwise they'll be easily exploited.

Theoretically if you had say, the underbelly of the manta & the top of the raptor as weakzones, the comment about the treads coming off the tanks is in all the very early media. You can probably find it in the scanned-in articles.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
I've headshotted quite a few people while they're in a scorpion, with LightningGun.

Vault

May 29, 2005
have any of you guys "vehiclular manslaughter"-ed a guy in a scorpian? i ran head on at a scorpian with a bender, and i ran over the driver while he was still in the vehicle.