Headphone specifications

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

I am #1 Asian big boob queen!
Jun 4, 2001
CA
I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones for games and music. The ones I have now are the Sennheiser PC150's and I'm happy with their sound quality, but I don't like how small the ear cups are. Outside noise is very easy to hear while gaming (my roommates are pretty loud sometimes), and I've been looking at some full size/full cup headphones.

The ones in consideration are:
Sennheiser HD212
Sennheiser HD465

A friend of mine has the HD280's. He does DJ'ing stuff, and let me try them out. They sound awesome, but are too expensive for me.

Now, I don't know much about the frequency and stuff for sound. What does it all mean? For instance, these are the specs of the HD465's on NewEgg.com:
Frequency Response: 18Hz-21.5KHz
Input Impedance: 32 ohm
Sensitivity: 110dB@(1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
THD: <0.2%

Lil' help please!

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Can't help you out, but i'll definetly go on the record as having said that headphones for gaming are definetly a major advantage over 2, 4, even 6 speaker setups as far as i'm concerned. When i started playing CS:S (hey it was fun for a time) and i started know the maps, i busted out an old pair of Sony headphones that were hand me downs... I quickly started getting kicked from servers because i was being accused of cheating. Truth is the old pair had such a clear seperation between left and right, that all i had to do to keep my gun pointed at someone (with my eyes closed) and listen for when their foot steps switched from left to right, or vice versa.. When the sound flickered from chanel to channel, that meant that i was right on target (at least as far as 2d plane was concerned). Hence when people saw me know excactly when someone was going to come around a corner, or track a moving target through a wall all i heard was "Turn oFF your wall hax! Cheater!". I stoped playing the game shortly after. :mad:

Though i did have my 15 mins of fame when using my headphones at a lan event, and was able to prove that i was infact not cheating, by tracking a target 1st with my eyes closed, and then when i was accused of peeking.. tracking a target with the monitor off.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm actually in market for a headphones as well....old ones are going to pieces as it is.
For gaming / computer usage mainly and so far I have found out the following models. I want a mic and chordless would be a plus...
Sennheiser PC 165 USB
Zalman ZM-RS6F+M Theatre headphones + microphone

Never used USB connectivity for headphones, are there any advantages other than no soundcard required? I'm using (and probably will for the next few years) onboard soundchip, some surround sound deal. It works perfectly well for my needs..
That Zalman has some surround sound thingie which could be a nice novely...

Any thoughts?

//Kee

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I was just about to write that Medusa 5.1 (not USB) was the one I'd be going for and your message more or less sealed it Crowze :)
Read only positive things about em and they are pretty cheap as well...
Now I need to find a store that sells em :)

//Kee

hara

Where's my backup?
Aug 24, 2004
I'm using Sennheiser HD 575 and they are awesome! They cover my whole ears and it feels like wearing small furry bunnies over them ;). The sound quality of Sennheiser is best, you get all deep and high noises around and your ears are shacking when a nade explodes next to you. Of course music is something special with them. They are more expensive, but you'll enjoy it for some years.
As long as you don't use them as a DJ or for professional recording you don't need "closed" ones (meaning, they isolate every sound that does not come thru the wire). Ah! and IMHO step away from any kind of headphone/microphone-combo called headset if you want to avoid bad sound and hurting ears. Get a cheap small mic instead and attach it to your cloth or monitor for TS....

Frequency response: as long as you do not claim to have the perfect "ears", 18Hz-21.5KHz is more than enough. Humans do hear usually 16 Hertz (very high) to max 20 KHz (very low tones).

Last edited:

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
precision pc gaming headset

i dont agree with harakiri i have used my headset for quite a while now
and still have no complaints about sound and microphone quality yet.
i use a logitech precision gaming headset
sensitivity : -58 dBV/ubar,38dBV/Pa+/-4db'
frequency responce: headset 20-20000 Hz
microphone 100-16000 Hz {with noise cancelling}

it has an open air design, rachet boom placement, in line volume and mute
and 40 mm neodimium stereo drivers.
i bought it at mediamarkt in my home city enschede-netherlands-europe:D
it has cost me 50 euros

Last edited:

hara

Where's my backup?
Aug 24, 2004
Nukeproof said:
Well - the mic isn't that awesome. Otherwise you wouldn't sound like trapped in a tin cookie-box :D

Yeah, thats what my home is made of ;)