Hardware Advice Needed!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cieprus

Mapper...In Progress
Feb 17, 2002
~America~
www.geocities.com
I was wondering if someone can please help me with buying some kick @$$ hardware...

I need to know the top name brands for motherboards, Im very unfamilure with them... And I was wonder what the best Motherboard-CPU combo would be.

Im looking at a AMD XP 1700, Alot less then the 1800 and just a lil more then the 1600 it looks like.

I wanna know what a good buy would be..Im all over pricewatch.

Well thanks alot!

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
I would stay far away from the Epox 8KHA\8KHA+ boards until Epox solves the major problems when trying to use them with the GeForce4 4400/4600 video cards.

Also, I have one question. Are you planning on overclocking your CPU Cieprus?

Last edited:

Cieprus

Mapper...In Progress
Feb 17, 2002
~America~
www.geocities.com
Ive didnt overclock the CPU i have now, because, I dont know what you call it but...Its not the chip its the big thing with the fan assembly, so I would have had to take it apart and break some crap, Soo If Its just a chip then Id probally try to overclock it.

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
Well, my suggestion was going to be that if your not going to overclock or if you aren't too sure about overclocking, definitely go with the AthlonXP.

But if your sure about to OCing, I'd take a good hard look at the P4 1.6A and 1.8A. The 1.6A can be overclocked easily to 2.1-2.4 Ghz and the 1.8A can go to 2.2-2.7 Ghz. Plus, you can OC both only using stock cooling. Which means you won't need to spend any extra money on fans or heatsinks (unless of course you want to ;) ).

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
I have an AMD XP 1700 and an ASUS A7V-266E. I have to say I'm very satisfied with both, although you do pay a little more for the ASUS quality. If you ask me, it's worth it.:)