Half-Life 2 / UT2003 engines comparisons.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NuKeR

Majestic 12 - Lead Mapper
lol RegularX, the UT2003 engine is old compared to the current Unreal Engine build.

Evil-Devil : You're right, thats because once I saw "I´d read that they will provide a patch for the 2K3 users, so they could play on 2K4 Server." I didnt read what was after :p

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
NuKeR said:
lol RegularX, the UT2003 engine is old compared to the current Unreal Engine build

oh lol - that's not the point.

We were discussing whether the engine can be updated in 2k4 and still play 2k3 games.

CliffyB's comment was that the UT2003 engine was now faster and more efficient for UT2004.

Faster and more efficient almost undoubtably means native code updates. IOW, the Engine code itself. No, we're probably not seeing new lighting tricks or new texture tricks, but instead more efficiency in the same renderer which lends to lowering the bar on the hardware requirements. Which probably means that your current hardware will be able to push better settings.

If that's true, which by Cliffy's statements it sounds like it is, and the UT2003 compatibility remains, then the answer to "Can you upgrade the engine and maintain backward compatibility" is "yes".

NuKeR

Majestic 12 - Lead Mapper
Evil-Devil said:
But there´ll be a patch some time after Ut2k4 was released

Nope, thats the whole point. Maybe you misunderstood what he meant ;)

Players with UT2004 will be able to play on UT2003 and UT2004 servers.
Players with UT2003 will only be able to play on UT2003 servers.

@RegularX:
Well in that case its not really an upgrade, more like only optimisation. I know they had to greatly optimise the netcode for it to run smoothly with 32 players, which will be needed with the Onslaught mode.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
That's just semantics. The point is that yes, they can update the native code. They can make changes to the renderer.

And if they get Onslaught running with 32 people on a decent box with a high resolution/detail - I think that's enough of an optimization to consider it an upgrade.

Hardware requirements are frequently considered one UT2003's biggest issues. I'd personally rather see a faster, sleeker engine than one with an additional feature.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
but they can't superimpose a new version of the Unreal Engine, which is what I thought you were trying to say.

Mychaeel

The Unreal engine is being developed in many different branches; the main branch is not tied to a certain game and thus the most technically advanced one.

The UT200x branch is still "the Unreal engine" though (or just yet another branch thereof); there's little point in discussing semantic subtleties about that. And obviously you can "superimpose" a new version in that engine branch on the game; however, trying to "superimpose" any version from a different branch is almost guaranteed to fail (otherwise it wouldn't be a different development branch to start with).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
right I was saying that Epic's current build of the Unreal Engine could not be just stuck into UT2003 without a massive amount of native coding.

And that's why I called it the UT2003 Engine, because there is no specific distinguishing between Unreal titled Unreal Engine games.