GPU static noise

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
My EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked makes a static noise that gets increasingly higher based on the GPU load. Is this usual? I am really worried right now. The temperature is around 50-60, so that's not my concern.

I recall having the same thing happening before on older PC's, but never did the noise go THAT high. It's impossible not to hear it if the GPU load is above 50%, the side panel is removed and the room is quiet. Impossible. Unless you are deaf.

It's probably because I mostly play with my headphones on, that I haven't been noticing it earlier, or maybe it has just recently developed? D:

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
its coil whine and it's absolutely normal. its vibration of electrical components on the card and is tied in with framerate (higher framerate, higher pitch sound). you might also hear it as interference over your headphones if your using the front panel jack on the case.

it basically all comes down to manufacturers being cheap these days, and poor quality control. its annoying but not dangerous.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
also if it really bothers you many retailers will accept an RMA on grounds of bad coil whine but it's a lottery... you might get a quiet card immediately, or it might take several returns to get one. or you might just get one that is not as bad, but not silent either. again it is not a dangerous fault and it wont damage anything.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
My 560ti does that too Kantham. I only noticed it when didn't put my headphones on right away. It wasn't very loud and I had to lean in to get a good listen to it. Strangely enough it only happens during menu screens or loading.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
"Strangely enough it only happens during menu screens or loading"

As I said its usually to do with high fps. in a menu the farmerate can go to many hundred or even a thousand fps, so then you hear it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
also if it really bothers you many retailers will accept an RMA on grounds of bad coil whine but it's a lottery... you might get a quiet card immediately, or it might take several returns to get one. or you might just get one that is not as bad, but not silent either. again it is not a dangerous fault and it wont damage anything.

Thanks man.

Coil whine... I'll live with it, knowing it won't damage my card or anything and it is usual. That's all I cared about.

My 560ti does that too Kantham. I only noticed it when didn't put my headphones on right away. It wasn't very loud and I had to lean in to get a good listen to it. Strangely enough it only happens during menu screens or loading.

It happens to me when I start modding using the unreal engine 3. I play a source game full grafics, I hear nothing, I open a real time previewer in the UE3 ED the things starts whinning like crazy.

Mang Nux said something about high FPS, oddly enough, the GPU load is at 100 when it happens, but the framerates are certainly not dropping.

Maybe it has something to do with giving the card a full load but VERY high framerates?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I've only heard whine from my cards under >80% load, regardless of frame rates.