God is not without a sense of irony

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cactus

The Evil Spatula
Mar 19, 2000
Ithaca (A.K.A. Cornell's Bitch) NY
A Repost from the old forums.

in today's news: A Virginia Court banned a kid from forming an "Anarchy Club" or wearing t-shirts that remotely decries the US bombings of afghanistan, because, "While the right to free speech is sacred, it must not disrupt the educational process."
apparently, freedom of speech is something that disrupts the educational process, homogeneity of thought is what we need.

The irony is that on the same day, another Virginia Court abolished a law against burning crosses, because cross burning is something that ought to be protected under the first ammendment, someone should have the right to display their bias, bigotry, and hate, but not allowed to display opinions against the government.

i believe the fundamental principle of hte government in this country is the fact that you CAN indeed criticize it. i criticize it many times, but i never take for granted, and i always appreciate the fact that YOU CAN CRITICIZE it. it alone makes this country worth my time to spend in. however, apparently this is no longer the case. you can preach hate but not dissent. we can educate our young to hate blacks and jews but we can't educate our young to question the actions of our government.

regardless of whether or not it's right to have a war in afghanistan, regardless of whether or not it's right to support peace, the fact is we are going to be denied our right to show dissent because it makes other people feel unsafe. I remind you that germans were banned from preaching dissent on the killing of the jews, and russians were banned from preaching dissent against stalin, and afghanis are banned against preaching dissent against the taliban.

When one fights monsters, one should take care not to become one.

-Friedrich Nietzche.

there is a greater darkness than the one we fight. it is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. the war that we fight is not against powers or principalities, it's against chaos, and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
As i said before the move, the governemt actually benefit from people badmouthing them because it shows they are open and democratic, but if people start attacking their actions , they get worried. :stick:

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
If they imported all the post counts from the old forum, they'd have BeyondUnreal newbies running around with 1000+ posts under their name. That wouldn't be good, would it? ;)

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
Originally posted by Deathwing
If they imported all the post counts from the old forum, they'd have BeyondUnreal newbies running around with 1000+ posts under their name. That wouldn't be good, would it? ;)

Well no, but as it is my 1900 posts have gone to pot...i almost made 2000. But post counts dont matter anyways;)

Cactus

The Evil Spatula
Mar 19, 2000
Ithaca (A.K.A. Cornell's Bitch) NY
yeah right.

Originally posted by Cat Fuzz
Maybe they banned the Anarchy Club because they thought it might be disruptive due to the current rise in patriotism. Other students might ridicule them for their anti-patriotic views and cause disruptions in the school.

yeah read the decision, they banned the anarchy club because it's saying things that are counter to what the children are being taught. the reasoning being that kids no longer feel safe at school because of a t-shirt. it's propostrous. they're not trying to protect the people in the club, they're trying to suppress their point of view.

look, if a kid wants to wear a shirt taht says, "don't bomb afghanistan" why would it up be up to the school to do anything about it? is it the school's place to dictate morals? there's certain lines for what people know are obscene, like if you wore a shirt with a naked woman on it, or if you wore a shirt taht read "BLOW UP MORE **** NEXT 9-11" that's a credible threat. something that calls for an end to the bombing, in any enlightened institution is just another point of view. in the eyes of idiots however, it's not something to be allowed.

again, i'm not making any judgement on the first case by itself, if you feel something is obscene, you CAN censor it, it's why we say that if you dance naked on your lawn, technically you're on your property and you can do whatever you want, you still get a citation for disturbing the peace. and i accept the reasoning behind that. but you know what irks me? the fact that the first case took place on the same day, in the same state as the SECOND case. where they said that BURNING A CROSS should be legal. i haven't heard you make an arguemnt agaisnt that? maybe cross burning should be legal? i'm just saying that if something like wearing a "end the war" t-shirt is banned, then it's UTTERLY HYPOCRITICAL to on the same day legalize burning crosses, an act which is HEINOUSLY more obscene than a "end the war" t-shirt. there should be a catagorical imperative, to limit the right to free speech or to not limit it, for both cases, but the events of yesterday were deeply disturbing because they limited it for a dissenting opinion, and let people loose to preach hate

Reactions: oosyxxx

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Re: Re: ???

Originally posted by QUALTHWAR

They gave you more than me. I had over 4,750 posts and logged on with 330 today. I'll blow this place sky high. Oh, wait; that's the neighbor's car i'll blow up.
the NC post s arent no more. but the planet unreal forum posts got ported. so if you had an puf id you had some posts...

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Re: Oh, the irony.

Originally posted by Cat Fuzz
I see your point, Cactus.

if they only wanted to listen to rock music and beeing different than the others? dont they have the right to? its liek with the afghanistanic womens who have to dress like a mummy!
they have no choice aswell....

Claw

Weird little hermit on dried frog pills
Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Cactus
When one fights monsters, one should take care not to become one.
too late :p

there is a greater darkness than the one we fight. it is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. the war that we fight is not against powers or principalities, it's against chaos, and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

I know this one... uhh... my memory fails me :hmm: