UE3 - General Getting that perfect placement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ninjanomics

Dr. Doom Industries
Jan 25, 2008
www.corydfarris.com
What methods do you guys use to figure out what size to make your meshes/where to place them aesthetically?

I usually try and make everything either x^2 or x^8 but sometimes that gives you a pretty symetrical 'too perfect' look to it.

I also tend to use the golden ratio to try and place things so that it mimics Greek/Roman/Egyptian architectural paradigms.

Scourgewarper

Sewn back together wrong
Jan 20, 2008
Bolton UK
Modelling for UT3 I create a cube object 88x32x24 in generic max units and freeze it so as to always have a reference to the rough size of the in-game player model compared to the static mesh i'm working on. Even if you get the size wrong, ultimately as long as the proportions are correct just scale the mesh till it looks right. Proportion is key.

As for placing meshes aesthetically, there's a few guidelines i.e. try and minimize obvious seams and make the level have a theme and structure that blend together, but other than vague pointers like that it's down to your own flair and creativity. That can be daunting perhaps but good maps are obvious when you play them but it's another matter trying to distill exactly what makes a map 'good'.

For me personally I derive many of my ideas & inspirations from films, comics and books. As long as you base your level design on something your passionate about it should just flow. That's my experience anyway :D

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The golden ratio is awesome but too much work for me to use on everything. I usually try to get close to the golden ratio by just estimating it, and I also always place counter elements for everything, so all things that stand out obviously have a counter element that balances the composition a little again, unless the object has to stand out ofcourse.

I also look at empty spots, large differences in brightness and color, texture style differences, etc. and just try to make everything consistent and balanced.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Imagine a room with a powerful red light on the left side. Thats unbalanced, so to counter it I would add a bright blue crystal on the left, or another red light, or whatever, depends on the theme.

Unless the red thing was suppose to stand out ofcourse, different story.

ninjanomics

Dr. Doom Industries
Jan 25, 2008
www.corydfarris.com
There was a post with a similar tone before the crash that I wish would have survived :(

I tend to find that keeping the level balanced (visually) also lends itself well to making things flow properly on the game play end of things.