UE4 - UT Getting Started with the New Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Hi everybody!

I am interested in mapping for the new UT (which I will henceforth call UT4). I wanted to ask any of you guys or gals who has had experience with it some basic questions:

1) Does UT4 utilize the latest, ever-evolving version of Unreal Engine 4 (at the time of this post version 4.8), or has it stuck with a certain branch? I ask this to avoid learning stuff for general UE4 and then finding different features in UT4.

2) Are there any good tutorials to get started with mapping?

3) Is it a good idea to start mapping now, or are the core gameplay mechanics and main rules still up in the air?

3) Just out of curiosity, is the transition from UDK jarring? What have your personal experiences been like?

I would ike to thank you all beforehand for your responses, which will be greatly appreciated!

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Hey hieloco!

1. I was updating my UT(4) earlier this week through the Epic Launcher and it has the Unreal Editor there too so I would assume it will be updated as UT4 is.

2. I'm not sure how many apply to the new Editor but I would look around for some UT3 tutorials and go from there, I learnt a lot just by playing around.

3. I would go for it, if things change you can create a new map, or update your current map. Going for it now also means you'll learn a lot too ready for a final release of the game.

3 (4?). From UDK to UE4 there is probably a bit of a leap, others may know more.