--- Get your rank here ! ----

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Ranks were the special Avatar's you could recieve according to your postcount. They were just getting rid of it when I hit 100, back in the day. Oh well, maybe DarkBls can set it back up, who knows.

But my doom guy avatar is better :)

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
There was a huge controversy about this whole thing actually, since the plan was to force all INF forumers to have these "ranking" avatars. So basically you couldn't have avatars anymore. But they were never able to find a way to technically discriminate between INF forumers & all the other BU forumers (since registration info doesn't include any forum affilation), and the admins of course would never impose something like this on all the BU forums. So the bottom line is it just never worked out and died away.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I thought there was no way in vb to link post count to avatars back then and they just waited for a new version that supports it. Anyway it never happened and that's good so. Rank linked to postcount dosn't make sense IMHO anyway but hey, if you do it don't force people to accept it. I'd prefer an honour system where everyone who wants them can put them as avatar themself.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
Well, it's just interesting to have. I do know that my avatar's been changed several times because I could swear that I used to be private or something... I could be hallucinating though... the honor system would never work because people would automatically go for the General's rank. I think it was good how it was before, post in a specified thread if you want it.

DarkBls seemed like a nice guy. Why would his Mod rights be revoked?

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
kungpaosamuraiii said:
DarkBls seemed like a nice guy. Why would his Mod rights be revoked?

Long and old story. Another chapter of INF forum politic.

Let's just say he left mostly due to RL™.

Forumers also wanted to keep the ability to have custom avatar, so DarkBls created this thread since he was the only one able [has a BU admin] to center avatar (in vb2).

/edit: This thread should be unsticky'ed.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Er.. if you think about it we already had the honor system and it did work. Why? There was a page with all the ranks and everyone who wanted to cheat could have done it by uploading the rank himself. The only ranks I remember that where uploaded by users themself were customised versions of the correct rank (e.g. someone pasted a Doom demon sprite on his rank). I don't remember any cheaters.

Also, I belive the ranks were centered couse they have a transparent border and not couse DarkBls could do it with code.