GeForce 2 on Win2k users read this...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CORBA

Feb 25, 2001
Well there has been some discussion lately about the use of OpenGL in UT. Some people are not having any problems at all, while others (myself included) aren't satisfied with their results. Well I may have a few suggestions to increase FPS and get rid of that damn flicker in the video under OpenGL.

Before I begin I want to say that I take no responsiblity if this messes up your system. In other words, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

What you will need...
--------------------------------------------------
[*]Detonator 7.52 Drivers - These are unofficial release drivers.
[*]NVMax 1.49 Utility - This is a utility that allows you to make so advanced changes to your video card.
[*]Latest Renderers from Epic - These are the latest OpenGL and D3D renderers released from epic.
[*]Latest Chipset Drivers for your motherboard - You will need these so you have the most up-to-date AGP patches for your chipset.

Installing and Configuring...
[*]Install the Detonator 7.52 Drivers.

[*]Install the NVMax utility. Once installed, start the program and right click the icon in the system tray. A pop-up menu will appear, select the 'System' option. Under 'Miscellaneous' section check the 'Athlon + Win2k fix' if you have an Athlon system. Under 'AGP' select '4X' if your system supports 4X AGP and also make sure it is enabled in the bios. Otherwise leave it on the default setting. You can also Overclock the GPU and Mem on your card, but this is up to you. Next select the 'OpenGL' option. In the top part there are allot of options to play with here. I found that the defaults worked the best for me. Under 'V-Sync' I changed this from 'Auto' to 'On'. This is what seemed to have fixed the flickering problem I was having. Everything else I left set to the defaults. Once you are done you can select 'Exit' to close the utility.

[*]Install the new chipset drivers if there were any for you to download.

[*]Make a backup of your OpenGL renderer in your UnrealTournament\System folder. Extract the new renderer into the system folder. Copy and paste the following ini settings into your infiltration280.ini file under the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
RefreshRate=75
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
LODBias=0
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False

That's it, don't forget to save the ini file. I'm not going to say this will work for everyone, because we all have different hardware. If you have an questions, drop me a line at lvwsrr@yahoo.com.

My System Setup...
Abit KT133-RAID
1.2GHz T-Bird
512MB CAS 2
Hercules GeForce 2 GTS
Win2k w/ sp1
Detonator 7.52 Drivers
DirectX 8
Latest OpenGL renderer from Epic

Benchmark Setup...
800x600 @ 32 bit color
S3TC Textures from UT CD 2
Map - DM-INF-CubanDawn
Game Style - Team DM
Num. of bots - 11
Bot skill level - Godlike

Results...
Avg. FPS - 105
Lowest FPS - 73 during a battle with 6 or 7 bots on the screen.
Highest FPS - 162
Graphic Quality - Fair, I didn't think it was as crisp as Glide is.
Flicker - NONE, woohoo it's about time :D

I hope everyone finds this to be informative. I think I need to get a website so I can post this without having a message thats a mile long (sorry about that). :cool:

Sleep is not an option!!!

[This message was edited by CORBA on Mar 09, 2001 at 01:54.]