Gears 2 In-Depth Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Man, you don't have a spine do you? You got to have some principles in your life man. Let me help you with this one: I will never trust someone who betrayed my trust again."

Thats a pretty silly thing to say, more so because i never said i was boycutting, i said they have lost my confidence and my loyalty, and they have, but that's all i said.

There certainly are things that will make me boycut, EA is on my list for their new DRM buisness for instance, but Epic has not quite gotten that bad yet, they are not far from it though, so we'll see what the future holds..

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
This is pretty interesting:

The reason we decided not to develop Gears 2 for PC was so that we could focus our resources on making Gears 2 the best possible Xbox 360 game it could be rather than splitting them across multiple platforms like we did with the first one. I think Gears 2 will be a better game for it and that this was the right decision.

If splitting a game across multiple platforms does weaken it on any one of said platforms (and it does), then UT3 WAS weakened on the PC by its watered-down-ness of UI and game options. Like we've said. And Epic denied. And now Epic says themselves. Oh, the irony.

You can make Gears 2 for Xbox. I don't care. Just make UT for the ****ing PC again. PLEASE.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
cmon guys, probably most of you own a good high end pc, know what bittorrent is, and even so, buy original epic games... hell, maybe even you buy some original non epic games!

when he said that, he was not talking about you, about the ones who buy legit games,
he was not saying you were pirates,

he was talking about a vast mayority of users, that are not you, who actually pirate games, he was refferring to those.

There are actually a lot of them and this is a problem for the industry.

Im playing to devil's advocate but i think that this is emo sh1t,
If you have got that angry for some words maybe one should live always in silence.
No one takes the measure of his words so accurately when talking, but is easy to come to a forum and responds to words that have been said as if were words taht have been written.

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
cmon guys, probably most of you own a good high end pc, know what bittorrent is, and even so, buy original epic games... hell, maybe even you buy some original non epic games!

when he said that, he was not talking about you, about the ones who buy legit games,
he was not saying you were pirates,

he was talking about a vast mayority of users, that are not you, who actually pirate games, he was refferring to those.

... but Epic's actions do not distinguish us from the pirates, and they show no interest in doing so. They prefer to just abandon any serious support for PC gamers.

There are actually a lot of them and this is a problem for the industry.

The claims for lost sales due to pirates are very shaky. As others have pointed out, there is often a suspicious correlation between the release of crappy games (buggy, restrictive, just not fun, etc) and claims of piracy issues. I bought UT3 and like it well enough, but it is pretty clear that its lack of success is not due to piracy.

Furthermore, if there really is such a big piracy issue, and legit buyers are victims as much as anyone, then why does Epic not say that and work with their customers instead of forsaking us.

Im playing to devil's advocate but i think that this is emo sh1t,
If you have got that angry for some words maybe one should live always in silence.
No one takes the measure of his words so accurately when talking, but is easy to come to a forum and responds to words that have been said as if were words taht have been written.

The reactions in this thread are not really a response to one quote. They are a response to a rising tide of anti-PC rhetoric and actions. This statement from Cliffy is just the thing that finally pushed many people over the edge.

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
...Gears for windows came out a year later and was ported by someone else. ...
A common misunderstanding. Additional maps were designed by "someone else", but not the port itself. Unreal Engine 3 is completely cross-platform. Epic just made a very pleasant gift for PC gamers by adding additional content to GoW PC, instead of making a copy of GoW 360. Completely different things with GoW2, however. :(

The claims for lost sales due to pirates are very shaky. As others have pointed out, there is often a suspicious correlation between the release of crappy games (buggy, restrictive, just not fun, etc) and claims of piracy issues.
From Epic's words it sounds like UT3 and GoW PC were pirated more than other games are pirated. Like, "we've made a kick-ass game, but because of pirates we have got bad sales of it." Bull****, all games pirated in the same degree as they are bought, there're no preferences there. Lame excuses.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
well, while it is obvious a bad game wont sale, it is obvious that piracy will always damage sales on a game, good or bad.

The part of a game being bad can always be fixed if the next game from the company improves,
the part of a game being pirated doesnt have solution atm and a game company will always like to sell the more copies of his game possible, what identifies that problem as something serious and not fixeable.

sh1t, when i read his declarations last day, i didnt take the hint, because i have a laarge collection of original games and a good pc, so i almost ignored the coment, then i saw that misterious survey on the web, and then i came here, and i see flaaaaaaaaaaaaames!!!!... the ones who buy original games, i dont know why they re so angry, the comment was not referring to them.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Apparently they're dealing with used game sales by offering an exclusive "new buyer" only code to get 5 bonus maps from the original GoW as DLC.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55084

So we punish loyal PC fans by calling them pirates, and reward console loyal fans for shelling out for new software. Does that make new console game buyers pirates too?

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
“Gears has become our most important franchise,” he said. “Unreal Tournament has been our bread and butter for years, but it is hard to argue with the success of Gears. Unreal Tournament III is a game we really care about and it reviewed very well. But Gears is now our primary franchise.

Finally some truth....

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/27817/Epic-Were-aiming-for-casual-gamers

And here I thought they were good concentrating on both...

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net

Matfei

[:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:
Apr 22, 2008
Behind the Great Australian Firewall
I've only flicked through the threads here so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

But in my opinion it's the biggest farce that Epic is on the PC Gaming Alliance yet acting like this. They ought to be kicked off out of principle alone, since PC's wellbeing is obviously not on their agenda anymore.

If I'm behind the times and they've been removed, I'd appreciate a few links regarding it.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
I've only flicked through the threads here so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

But in my opinion it's the biggest farce that Epic is on the PC Gaming Alliance yet acting like this. They ought to be kicked off out of principle alone, since PC's wellbeing is obviously not on their agenda anymore.

If I'm behind the times and they've been removed, I'd appreciate a few links regarding it.

Nope they are still there and equally ironically so is Microsoft.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
lets make dumb games for those casual ppl, they dont want anything too difiicult... hows about Gears TicTacToe. theres an ez one no one will torrent :rolleyes:
besides if we make a game that actual computer users want to play, they will just pirate it anyway. theres some convoluted logics for ya :eek: wtf
i guess the dozen or so Unreal games i bought (not counting those i bought for gifts or giveaways) are imaginary and i still have my cash ...