[Game] Prey

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Prey

Human Head Studios, Incorporated is working on a new FPS game called Prey. Prey is being developed by Human Head Studios in partnership with 3D Realms, to be published by 2K Games. The game will come to PC and Xbox360.

Release date: 2006 (TBA)

Features: (taken from site)
  • Built on an enhanced Doom 3 engine, the most impressive 3D engine used in a released game.
  • Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles.
  • Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk.
  • Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy.
  • A deep, emotional story of love and sacrifice.
  • Tommy has a sidekick, a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship.
  • Multiplayer game support that takes advantage of the unique gameplay styles in Prey.

Story:

Prey tells the story of Tommy, a Cherokee garage mechanic stuck on a reservation going nowhere. Abducted along with his people to a menacing mothership orbiting Earth, he sets out to save himself and his girlfriend and eventually his planet.

Site & Trailer: http://www.prey.com/ Check the E3 demo!

Screenshots:

prey_ss1.jpg

prey_ss2.jpg

prey_ss3.jpg

prey_ss4.jpg

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles.

Two in front, one behind.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Yeh sounds familiar eh? :lol: Let's jus hope they don't make a doom cloneand it's worth the wait. Judging from the E3 movie they are on the right track.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I've been waiting for this game for years. It has been in development almost as long as Duke Nukem Forever. Only unlike DNF this game is actually coming out.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
edhe said:
I don't think anyone knows what the Doom3 engine can do, 'cos all you get to see is brown on brown on brown on black.
To quote a D3 mapping tutorial:

"The more lights you add the brighter the area, but the more surfaces that get hit and the harder that effects the FPS. Lowest in game FPS." ... "This means that where an overlap occurs the engine basically renders the area multiple times, once for each light. Obviously this then means the more areas of overlap you have the more renders that are going on and the more CPU and GPU power/time that's being used up."

It will be a long time before you will be able to run the Doom3 engine to it's full potential. By then of course, there will be a certain unreal engine 3 around, which handles lighting (along with pretty much everything else) a lot better. :eek:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
tool said:
I've been waiting for this game for years. It has been in development almost as long as Duke Nukem Forever. Only unlike DNF this game is actually coming out.
Not quite correct. When the game was first announced (before the Quake 2 / Unreal era if I'm correct) it looked promising, but was cancelled. It seems that only recently they picked the project back up. :)

Dave the Insane

Supreme Commander
I didn't really care for this as i had only seen screenshots until Games(tm) did a huge preview of it.

As for the Doom 3 engine, although Quake 4 is still a lot of brown i thought it showed of what it can do a lot better than Doom 3. With a development time this long they should hopefully do something right.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Slainchild said:
"The more lights you add the brighter the area, but the more surfaces that get hit and the harder that effects the FPS. Lowest in game FPS." ... "This means that where an overlap occurs the engine basically renders the area multiple times, once for each light. Obviously this then means the more areas of overlap you have the more renders that are going on and the more CPU and GPU power/time that's being used up."[/I]

That sounds like a weakness in the engine to me. It limits you by only allowing you to do one light per surface unless you want crappy performance because it's too inefficient to do a way to render multiple lights instead of rendering the entire surface multiple times.

I'm hoping this game will be the one that Doom 3 and Quake 4 weren't. The D3 engine has a great potential for immersion and atmosphere, but it needs a great game and story under it to make those last any more than five minutes.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
KMFDM did the soundtrack to this years ago when it was first announced. i'm buying it just for that.

_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
[*] Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT:

actually, after watching the gameplay video, it looks pretty damn good.

Last edited: