FOREIGN VOICE PACK THREAD: Current actors please read.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Recce said:
staak vuur = cease fire
val terug = fall back
kontak = contact
beweeg = move
wapen is leeg = weapons dry
gaan = go

No no I meant literally record a few and post them. Do it in low quality WAV format please. Also this language, is it a native african language? Excuse my ignorance on this matter.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
'afrikaans' is not really native... the dutch brought their language with them to South Africa during the colonization of course, and it developed into its own 'style' to become one of the official languages of South Africa later on. So today you would be able to call it 'native'.

You can partially (not fully) compare it to the different styles of english spoken in England, USA and Australia. And these differ a lot actually.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Beppo said:
'afrikaans' is not really native... the dutch brought their language with them to South Africa during the colonization of course, and it developed into its own 'style' to become one of the official languages of South Africa later on. So today you would be able to call it 'native'.

You can partially (not fully) compare it to the different styles of english spoken in England, USA and Australia. And these differ a lot actually.

Do you think it would be good to add this language in the next voicepack?

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Freon said:
Please don't add more voices, some players with slow connections already refuse to play on the servers with the 1st voice pack :(

Sadly, most people by now should have moved to high speed internet connection. In fact I hold the belief the reason its still slightly more expensive than dial up is because people are still using dial up. More people using High speed internet would result in more competition among the high speed companys which means lower prices.

People who use dial up can download the voicepacks from the forums or combatmaps overnight either which way. The voicepacks are not that large in size anyway, about the same size as a custom map. Should we drop custom maps now too since dial ups would have to download them?

I dont know what other server is using the voicepacks but on GD we have high speed redirect. It takes less than 10 seconds to download the voicepack with cable. It shouldnt take more than a few minutes on dial up. If a perticular server is that concerned about the few dial up players online then they have the option not to use it. But I mainly made this voicepack for the GD server and for whoever wanted to use it. GD will always be geared towards cool custom mutators and custom maps. Dial ups beware! :(

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
{GD}NTKB said:
Sadly, most people by now should have moved to high speed internet connection. In fact I hold the belief the reason its...
Dude, "broadband" is not available everywhere, and when it is it may be a *lot* more expensive.
We have the voicepack on the VeGA server (and a HTTP redirection as well). But 2 jgkdo guys had to left because an other member of their clan was on a 56k and didn't want to download the pack :hmm:

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
About voices. I prefer much more english spoken with stranger accent than native langage.
My argument on that, it is most people understand english and it still add some world played effect.

Freon: I know you already complain about size of download, but could you add the yurch nade on VeGA please ? ;)

Saladin

Fez Toting Warrior!
Jul 25, 2002
Atlanta, GA, USA
home.attbi.com
here we have DSL light where its like faster than isdn, but not as fast as your standard 1.5mbs max DSL line for the same price as dialup now, people dont switch do to "inconveniance" and i want to slap these lazy bastards every time they are "inconcenianced" by their damned dialup-

well if u dont make the entire pack, can ya at least finish off my arab voice, i wanna use it on GD!

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Freon said:
Dude, "broadband" is not available everywhere, and when it is it may be a *lot* more expensive.
We have the voicepack on the VeGA server (and a HTTP redirection as well). But 2 jgkdo guys had to left because an other member of their clan was on a 56k and didn't want to download the pack :hmm:

I understand your concern Freon, and its well put, however I doubt Vega server will be using the second voicepack, since im sure Vega mostly wanted the french voices... Now if I just added 3 new french voices my plan will... never mind :lol: j/k

But seriously I doubt the second pack will get play anywhere except {GD} and for private use. I dont think you need be so concerned. ;)

Beppo said:
what about a standard dutch voice if not yet on the list instead of afrikaans?

If we can get a Dutch actor sure. I dont see why not. The more variety of voices the better IMO. I dont care if it jumps to 10MB zipped. I want to truely internationalize the game. This is the first step towards doing that. Now if we could only add more faces to the game... Mwuhahha my next project ;)

Im thinking some bearded russian faces and some oriental faces.

Last edited: