UE3 - UT3 fog help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pookycs09

Jun 14, 2009
Hello,
I've been trying to change the color of my static mesh which is linked up to my FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo actor thing. I can see the fog just fine, my kismet that changes the density works just fine but the color is stuck at white. Is their some trick to changing the color? Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Pookycs09

Jun 14, 2009
What did you do in Kismet?

Are you trying to do this directly on the actor, or are you making Kismet change a material instance? Latter is better.

I'm trying to make my own sandstorm. Basically almost a copy of the sandstorm found in VCTF-Sandstorm in ut3. What I'm doing in kismet is just changing around the max density of FogVolumeConstantDensity and that gives me the effect I'm looking for.

Heres the kismet:
84532154.jpg

This is what it looks like in my level:
9467498496.jpg

I'm just using this simple box mesh I found as a test. As you can see in the picture the box isn't green like I have it set to in the properties. That's all I want to change but it isn't working out. The color just stays the same.

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
You need to do it via the fog material. I dont know what the deal is with the color property but the material approach works for sure. Any fog volume uses a material anyhow, default blue one, so define your own material instead, then turn that into an instance, and then hook the instance to matinee to make that one alter the color and thus the fog.

Why do you need both depthfog and fog volume? If all you want is fog that comes closer during the sandstorm you can simply hook up the depthfog to matinee and animate the range?

Pookycs09

Jun 14, 2009
You need to do it via the fog material. I dont know what the deal is with the color property but the material approach works for sure. Any fog volume uses a material anyhow, default blue one, so define your own material instead, then turn that into an instance, and then hook the instance to matinee to make that one alter the color and thus the fog.

Why do you need both depthfog and fog volume? If all you want is fog that comes closer during the sandstorm you can simply hook up the depthfog to matinee and animate the range?

Thanks man, I actually figured it out a little bit after my second post by going to udn XD.

and i have a depthfog and a fog volume mainly because I'm a noob I'll figure that stuff out later and thanks for the tip.