Final 10 UnWheel 2 Vehicles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Here are the finished UnWheel 2 vehicles! I can only attach 5, the other 5 are below.

4x4Buggyrender.jpg

BlasterRender.jpg

FarSightNewRender.jpg

FireLazerRender.jpg

FormosaRender.jpg

Attachments

• UTDominator.jpg
    UTDominator.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SeekerRender.jpg
    SeekerRender.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Roadraiderrender.jpg
    Roadraiderrender.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 22
  • FramePickupRender.jpg
    FramePickupRender.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FormulaFinalRender.jpg
    FormulaFinalRender.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 23

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nice man! I guess it's time for you to change your sig. ;)
Whenever you guys have some LD assets up, I'll be ready to help out with some Level design for your mod.

Last edited:

plugh

Nov 11, 2005
Wow, very nice work, good stuff! : D

If you want some help with level creation, I'd love to contribute something.

Last edited:

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Thanks Kantham and plugh for the offer to make maps for UnWheel 2. I do have custom content for UT3, but not near as much as I had for UT2004. I will take you both up on your offer, but with a comment about official maps for UnWheel 2. Anyone will be able to make maps for UW2, but maps included in the Make Something Unreal Contest will first be approved by those working on UW2. We had some under quality maps, and too many maps to really judge, in MSUC for UT2004. So, maps in the official release will be limited to 10 max, and my goal for phase 2 is at least 2 good maps.
I have assets for a seaport race map, as well as some Google Street View images, if someone is interested.
I will be out of town for about 10 days, starting tomorrow, and do not know if I will have access to the internet:(

plugh

Nov 11, 2005
Sounds fair enough man, I wouldn't want to submit something of low standard that's for sure, I do take my time and have a lot of pride in my work : )

Seaport assets sound like fun, I'm definitely interested. I'm finishing off my current project at the moment, so I'll be free to start working on this very soon, cheers : )

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I'm working on a volcano / cavern (I'm undecided atm) map that will be fairly basic, but looks pretty.

I'm terrible at modelling so that is out of the question, and I currently work 8-5 programming for a company, so coding is slightly exhaustive atm. But mapping? GOW has brought me back into mapping.

We could do with hiring some mesh modellers.

We also need to look into perfecting the shiny shader for the vehicles, they look like they're made out of plastic atm. The models are stunning, and deserve better shaders.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
The most important thing I think we should have in maps these days is a setpiece.

You don't need them in FPS games as the levels are fairly small and non-linear, but for a racing game you need something to break up the flow from standard driving. In the old days this was a jump here and there, but gamers are used to that, so we need a bit of variety.

A good example would be if, in Steven's level, a boat had to be jumped over, the boat, of course would be moving (bobbing?), providing more of a challenge than a standard jump.

Or in my level, if there were spouts of lava to damage the vehicles.

Absolutely MASSIVE jumps would also work, but then there's the problem of getting the players back up to the top.

Not only should these be present, but there should be at least one "grand" set-piece. Think the cannon in DK's level on Mario Kart, or driving up the building at the end of UWRL-SUICIDE, or maybe the giant swinging pendulum in UWRL-Aztec (actually that level was mainly designed as a test-bed for set-pieces and not as a real level, the flow and design are terrible, but the set pieces are fun). There needs to be something that makes the player go "woah!". This is what will set UnWheel apart from the average racer.

Luckily the new UnrealED is pretty much designed with setpieces in mind, so there's no excuse guys!

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Nice to see Unwheel is alive. Been years since I used to race some of you online on it :D

If you manage to find a coder I'd love this to be in UE3, you can count me in for working on levels and cars too :)
I'm currently working on a Dodge Challenger lots to do yet though before it even comes close to how good yours look Steve.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I need to know something for this level to proceed. What size are the vehicles (in uu).

I've done a lot of work, and as far as I can tell the new UED doesn't have a scale map function, so I'd rather know before I do any more.

SciJo

Mar 27, 2005
Awesome looking vehicles. Keep up the good work.

I've always been a fan of UnWheel. Good luck with the next version. :D

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
The_Head, my vehicles have a range from 10,110 triangles for the RoadRaider to 16,472 triangles for the FramePickup,(the frame and tires have alot of polys).
I looked at your Challenger, nice job:) One of the goals the UnWheel team established, before real life swallowed them up, was to use futuristic vehicles. We would like to stick with that theme. However, I did make a new Cuda for UW1 that never was used, it is basically what I thought a 2008 Cuda would look like. In the attached picture you can see the simple changes I made to look like a newer vehicle. If you were able to modify the existing Challenger we may be able to use it, since actual body itself looks fairly low poly, the lights and wheels look higher.
Hey Jack! Nope, no easter eggs, you get what you see:p

Attachments

• CudaSidebySide.jpg
    CudaSidebySide.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 17

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What if the rims were a simple sheet with a nice normal applied to it? I think GRID's doing that.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Cool, around the same polycount as my challenger is now :)

Really like the design of the new cuda you have there, might try to make a future version of an old classic shape, although I may have another go working from images to get the hang of it first.
I could certainly look into making more futuristic cars, this was my first attempt and I wanted to do something I could get references for though.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I can't open UEd atm, (i'm on a laptop) but if you look at the scene manager with a scorpion in there it apparantly has something near 100k triangles. That's crazy. It also means we could fit approx 5 (counting for shader use, etc.) vehicles for every on-screen scorpion, giving us a max of approx 20-30 vehicles per race.

Obviously the real value will be much lower (a lot of physics has to be computed as well), but it sure gives you food for thought.