FileRing Launches!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
FileRing, the latest toy here at PU, has launched to the public. What is FileRing? Basically, its a browser based application which makes downloading Unreal and Unreal Tournament files incredibly easy. It currently works for all files hosted by PU and its hosted sites, but support for browsing and/or searching may be added in the future.

Instead of the standard single mirror that hosted sites such as NaliCity and Infiltration have had to use, FileRing offers many more. As would be expected, the more popular files will have more mirrors listed -- so load should never be an issue with FileRing. Also, it may take several hours for the files to become available on other sites, so you won't be able to have a selection of 30 mirrors the same hour that a file is released.

FileRing is currently in a beta stage, and is likely to have a few bugs. If you encounter any, let me know either by emailing filering@cmoz.com or posting in this thread.

Happy downloading!

ShinyObject

You're making me blush.
Jun 14, 2000
Ohio
TEEHEE! This is the first time I realized that clam and Stallion were one and the same!

qazix

Lost
Mar 31, 2001
Popup ads and indirect links = Bad. WTF clambert? Not even FilePlanet does that kind of crap. :mad: Please tell me this is just a temporary, er, test?

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
The only reason for the indirect URLS is because its the only real way to keep track of download counts.

I may add referer detection in the future, but there shouldn't be a noticable difference. The only reason for it would be to redirect people to the mirror index page if they click on a direct mirror link from a different website. This basically means if someone on the GTF links to say, the ClaraNet mirror for CTF-Orbital, the user will be sent to the main CTF-Orbital page listing all the mirrors.

This is only so one we can better ensure reliable downloads.

However, passing URLs out on IRC or putting them into your download manager manually would work fine.

Roshin

Jun 13, 2001
Visit site
For God`s sake...

I`ve been trying to download ctf-crusade.zip using this new download system.

Clicking on the filelink opens up an empty window, clicking on the FAQ link at the bottom of the page gives me a "404 Screw you" message.

Very nice. I can see how this will be useful.

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
CTF-Crusade's only mirror resides on FilePlanet. Unfortunately, FilePlanet is having download problems right now, and that is completely out of our control. With the old system, you'd get the same result, except you wouldn't have any of the additional mirrors for the many other files.

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
OK, it looks like FilePlanet changed the port for their queue system. FileRing has been updated, and it works fine for me now.

Also, the FAQ link was left over from the header/footer I copied from the f0's, but I'm sure the HTTP RFC never intended for a 404 error to translate to "Screw You". Anyways...

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
/me is stupid

OK, lets say I wanted to download map xyz. I went do www.0wn.org and only saw statistics (pretty impressive for that short time). But where do I search for that map :confused:
I don't think the files in the statistics are all