Fewer Capture the CD Maps.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
One thing that kind of dissapoints me is seeing what EASis capable of in a few
maps (like Mostar and Tuscany) but having most maps not exploiting the new
system. I simply request that when you create a map, don't just put detail into
the enviroment, but put to use the EAS game type and put as much thought
into story/objectives as you do for level design.

RaekwoN

Infiltration Level Designer
Aug 5, 1999
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry to hear you're dissapointed. Care to make some non-capture the CD maps for us all? It's a simple request really.

Narky, snide comments aside, we do have our reasons.

The reason that so many of the official maps in 2.9 lack features like Mostar and Tuscany is because they were made earlier in the development process. You see, maps take a long time to make, hell, Iraq took me 18 months of creation and tweaking to complete. It wasn't full time but yeah. Anyway, a majority of the mission features you see in Mostar and Tuscany were introduced relatively late in the development. process. Most maps were months into development already.

It's not just a matter of plonking these types of goals into the maps either, I can't speak for Alpha, but the maps are designed around these types of goals. Not the other way around.

I agree with you though, it'd be great to see what the community can do with these different goals. Which reminds me, EAS Docs coming really soon.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
This was not an attack on the existing maps. They are very, VERY well done. I
simply askd that community mappers make good use of the EAS system, as the
community maps that have come out so far have all been CTCD. Reakwon, you
and the other SS mappers did a magnificant job.

Edit: on a side note, I am learning how to map and mod, but it will be a while
before I get good enough to release anything.

Last edited:

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Raek's right on, good EAS maps are built around objectives. Since most of the extra EAS capabilities came on relatively recently, not a lot of maps could be made for them, thus most of the 2.9 maps feature the EAS setup that's been there from the start. Hopefully the community will take advantage of what EAS can do w/ new maps. Maybe even do things we didn't think possible. ;)

And thanks for the compliments Demosthanese! :)

Last edited:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
When do we get to find out what EAS can do? Is there an ETA on the mapping manual?

RaekwoN

Infiltration Level Designer
Aug 5, 1999
Melbourne, Australia
jaymian: ETA is when my real life stops interfering. :p But seriously, it'll be either in the next few days or it won't be until early next year after I get back from my vacation.

Demo, appreciate the compliments, apologies for going off like that. Good to hear you're picking up mapping, hopefully these EAS docs will help you out when they're finally finished.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I think nearly the same like Demosthanese, but you can not change it yet (or only with a patch).
And please, look into TTR, their "CaptureGround-System" is just godlike!!! (so much fun and so thrilling :) ), also the other mission-objectives are much more fun (hell I love to blow things up :) ) and still very easy.

I like the maps (I mean their design, the looking ...), but I am (very, very very very)^10 dissapointed by EAS (what I HAVE yet) and its missions. :(
And yes, I am really not sure if i should remain playing INF, only a few things keep me in this community, and no, not 2.9.
But I won't go further in this topic (posted much about it in german ;) ), because that is too OT.

w00p

Windows at its best
First of all, TTR is WW2...
So capturing and blowing things up is quite what missions where back then.
INF is about smaller wars, that are hardly even called wars. More mission-ish.
INF is modern warfare, and more strategic. If you want someone with a robar sitting 4 metres higher than you and "snipe" you from 5M's distance, you won't likely see it in INF... ;)

TTR and EAS both are very similar and yet so different. Both are practicly unlimited, both are built around multiple objectives, but in a way, EAS is just a wee little more advanced.
First off, the optional objectives. In TTR, they're possible too, but only if you entirely leave them out of the briefing screen and make them sort of "secrets" for the thorough player, like the villa in tuscany. You don't HAVE to do it, but its better for the team since your spawns get moved up.
In INF they've been worked into EAS however.

But yes, they both have their pro's and contra's.
Still, EAS is simply somewhat more advanced because of the fact that it has been in developement for what? 2 years? ;)

If you ask me, the best things for EAS are yet to come...
Just play both with healthy changing between the two, and you'll love em both! :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2001
americas
Visit site
Hi,
I've been following this mod for quite a while and always thought that UT Assault was a gametype that Inf. could really capitalise on.
I've noticed a few assault maps which almost work perfectly in Inf. except for some bot-play issues (like urbanassault 1 + 2 and mountainairbase), besides the ones built only for Inf. :).
..as-mountainairbase was a blast once I grenaded the bots off the starting cliff ;)

EAS definitely sounds like it is capable of 'enhancing' assault and maps like Mostar have shown me that it is, glad to see that true multiple object maps are on the horizon.
The ones with Inf. 2.9 are great as they are of course..dont mind getting a cd if the map-play is fun ;)
keep up the high standard of work!