UE3 - General Female character progress thread - your input and comment are appreciated

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
Hey this is my thread for my dissertation, which will feature a female character
I am creating a realistic looking female, at the moment i am about to start the concepts but before i do there are 5 potential characters that i am choosing from, below shows the table with their information:

Characterchoices.jpg

Your input would be very welcome, please choose a character and say why, or suggest/ammend a character, comments are appreciated

Progress for this thread will be updated regularly as it has to be finished by April 27th, so check back every couple of days for updates

Coachsta

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
The process is up to you. A lot of the members here probably don't care too much about your ground work and just want to see actual model progress. Once you have some of that up you will probably garner a few more comments.

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
VOTING TIME!!!

After gathering the results of the characters the two most popular were the survivor and the girl next door, so ive devised a concept of each character, vote for the one you prefer!!! (i like them both)

concepto.jpg

Modelling will start Saturday so youve got until then to post your vote, Happy voting :D

C & C's please

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
The votes for the concept to date are:

Survivor - 13
Girl next door - 19

Thus suggesting that the community want to see the girl next door, however the total votes (including descriptions) were:

Survivor - 24
Girl next door - 23

Making it very even, so due to a suggestion made by Omegaminus1 on the epic forum it has been decided to mix these two characters using the looks of the girl next door (from feedback the looks of Allison Stokke and Katie homes gained votes for this concept) and the survivor lost votes due to Michelle Rodriguez and the more "butch" look.

Artax from the Epic forum also suggested the survivor due to it being more interesting and challenging, and i agree

Stay tuned for modelling progress

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
Creating the base mesh

I spent a good deal yesterday roughing out the general form for the model seen below:

1-BaseMesh-Day1.jpg

Obviously this isnt complete, im looking to get a decent enough looking base mesh so i can get it into ZBrush and do the good stuff

An update post of the completed base mesh will hopefully be posted in 15 or 24 hours :D

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
Heres a little update of what i was working on yesterday, I was sorting out the head as previously i just had a box which was just for proportions and also i did the hand, which im relatively happy with.

1-BaseMesh-Day2.jpg

Going to continue to rework the main body today

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
So heres an update of the work done today, i was putting a lot of it together today as well as doing lots of tweaking that i think has imporved the shape but still some way to go, need to start adding detail to the mesh to where it is a consistent amount over the mesh, i.e. having the high poly done

2-HighPolyMesh-Day1.jpg

thats it from me today, check back tomorrow, night all

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
Quick update from the last couple of days, ive been focusing on the high poly mesh tryingto get something decent with my limited ZBrsh skills :p

Here we go, without clothes/without:

2-HighPolyMesh-Day2.jpg

Toughts and comments?

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
So i havent updated in a while, no worries ive been busy with other modules and the report writing for this project , the joy :D Lately i have taken all feedback into consideration and attempted to refine the model to look better, but ive had to press on to keep with my schedule. The low poly model has been unwrapped and ive created a normal map for the model seen below:

UVs-1.jpg

Normal.jpg

Comments welcome and will be considered having enough time, but for now i am pushing ahead with this project to stay on track, next up is the diffuse map, i created a real basic base colours one, below:

Diffuse.jpg

When viewing the model in the viewport the material is fine but when it comes to rendering all the colours bloom bright, anyone have any advice on this?

Normal.jpg

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
So i have unfortunately ran our of time so here is the final model, i wish i had more time but with the project due in soon i cant work on it anymore as i need to focus on parts of the report. feel free to comment on anything that i could take aboard for future projects

1Presentation.jpg

coachsta

Apr 6, 2010
no i didnt, i wasnt happy with the final porduct as it was rushed so going back to the drawing board to start something new