Feign Death on InstaGib

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Someone mentioned a while ago how this was useless; obviously everyone knows that everyone gets blown to giblets when they're hit....

However, I was playing someone a few days ago (sorry, can't remember name...) who used this with great effect. They feigned death when I shot at them ... so my shot went straight over them!!! The first few times I was so surprised (as I'd been 100% sure of my kill) that I didn't manage to evade when they returned fire!!!

I didn't think it was possible to feign death and return to firing so quickly, guess I need to revise my opinion....

Buscemi

Lost and cannot be found
May 1, 2001
Far away from here
www.zombo.com
Normally when you kill someone don't you get a confirm message that you killed that person? So it isn't so hard to figure out if the person is feigning death.....but whatever........haven't played normal UT myself for a while......;)

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
It's a gamble...

Two things - it appears you may have run into the crouch cheat. As I understand it, it allowed the user to crouch to fire but actually set their status to feign death, so you'd be firing at them but not hitting them. Solution? Fire at their feet next time and see if you score the hit.

This next one is off the subject just a tad - while we're talking about feigning death, I have to share this story. I did this a day or two ago on Lava Giant on the RoA servers. I was on the Blue team feigning death in the Red flag room. It wasn't strategy, I just wanted to see if anyone would pick up on what was going on. I, myself, frag anything of the opposing color without a second thought, but it worked surprisingly well. I'm going to guess that it was the novelty of a very old gag that we just hadn't trotted out in awhile. Whatever, a Red warrior came into the red flagroom just as the red flag was returned. He looked right at me. I lay there for a second just to see if my number was up. Nothing happened, so I popped up, popped him, and took the flag.

We laughed about that for quite awhile, and he laughed too, showing that he was a good sport. He proceeded to hunt me down pretty exclusively for the rest of the map, but we won the day and I enjoyed the competition; it started *his* juices flowing which kicked *my* competitive level up a notch, so everyone was happy. I was happi*er*, of course... ;)

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
I play instagib on nguk.net Instagib LMS #X and when I press F to feign death I suicide myself. How come?
Now I use F for taunts, because I don't want to kill myself with it. Can someone explain me why I kill myself in that server when I press feign death?

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
LMS keys are different that way, it is to adjust for typekills and the sort. so you can even the score...

CTF on the other hand, I too blast anything of the oposing color, walls, lights, players, anything. :) But here is something i see: feigh never works with me, instagib or otherwise (although i play mostly insta ctf) because i see a body, quickly touch it with my crosshair, and dodge immediatly, if a name showed up on the cross hair, I will circle around, wave, then shoot, for the "!" point.

I love when people try to feign me... :) I also see how it could sork well with people who are not thinking of it.

Reee

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
He did this a couple of times before I caught on and aimed lower; I didn't realise there was a crouch cheat, but from the speed of reaction and return of fire maybe that's a possibility? The feign death was actually at the moment I fired at him....

Hmm, feign death in LMS wouldn't help against me, I have this sick habit of blowing up any corpses I see! Hey, even got a frag or two that way...

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Crouch cheat?

Originally posted by Phydeaux{RoA}
Two things - it appears you may have run into the crouch cheat. As I understand it, it allowed the user to crouch to fire but actually set their status to feign death, so you'd be firing at them but not hitting them.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Is it a MOD that can be bounced by CSHP, or something else? Can anyone confirm whether it exists and exactly what it is?

Neil

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I doubt he was cheating. I did that same exact thing on accident once. Dude loaded up six rockets and launched them at me. I went to dodge (double-tap D) and hit F instead. Down I go. 6 rockets fly over my head. I jumped up and scored an awesome (OK, LUCKY) headshot with the sniper rifle.
He was a good sport about it.
"Wow, dude that was cool as hell" he said. Then he was trying it on purpose. LOL

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Crouch cheat...NOT.

1. If, while in the process of feigning death, you hold down the fire button you will continue to shoot when you lay down. It's a well documented bug/feature of the game. I.e. you can hold down the alt fire on the goo rifle and then feign death. While lying down you can release the button and it will still fire. If you hold down shock primary while feigning you will continue to shoot beams of electricity from your rifle while lying down. The goo is a good trick as you can hold it down and appear to be dead then fire upon unsuspecting passer-by's. I would imagine you can do the same thing with the insta-gib rifle. He probably just laid down and held the trigger down, allowing him not only to return fire but to dodge your shot at the same time. You can also aim while feigning death...;)

2. You can't simply jump up from feigning death like you guys are describing. It takes at least 1 second to stand back up and you can't fire until your gun reappears on the screen, thus the small disadvantage to feigning death. I've seen people feigning and simply gibbed them to death when they go to stand up. I've never seen anyone use this in IG before but I suppose it would work if you could kill the person before they killed you while you tried to stand back up.