Far Cry SDK released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Well considering I see a May 31st, 2005 release date that could be a problem. Waiting until then just to get a chance to evaluate it is probably not an option.

Far Cry does sound like an interesting option but again how easy is it to work with.

Doom 3 would be a failure due to ****ty multiplayer and Quake 4, using the Doom 3 engine will have good multiplayer (so they say) is a ways off.

Stalker is also too far off.

I am sure they have been and are continuing to look at Half Life 2 but after my expereinces with it in the last 24 hours I may decide to start sacraficing small animals to the SS gods to avoid that.

Then there is UT2K4...

which gets my vote.

Last edited:

PadreScout

Nov 15, 2004
North Texas (sucks)
FarCry is reputed to be incredibly eay to work with. I gave up on it before the SDK came out, so I havent looked at the code, but as I recall its supposed to be something callled LUA scripting, which is very high level language and easy to work with ( or so I'm told) I did tinker with its level editor (the sandbox) Its a superb piece of software. Aside from some issues I had with it not wanted to texture terrain correctly (( theres a system you use, and you set ranges or elevation and angle of slope on the terrain this establishes the texture you want within what ranges. up to XXX highth is a sand looking texture for instance) ... I recall theres a limit of 4 textures though) It was great. Lots of useful tools for doing wide scale forestation and vegetation. I liked it. I just got sick of the nice folks at crytek delaying the SDK. I wonder what Beppo thinks of it.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
The SDK was nice and all but the needed online patch to make online playing faster and more 'resource friendly' took a bit long to be released actually. This and the fact that there is no 'real' support for the game anymore due to UBI splitting up with CryTek.
Nice engine, really brilliant optics, invers kinematics and stuff alike. Really a nice piece of work... but lacks support unfortunately. Their next game will have not such problems most likely cause I don't think that their new publisher will make such ****ty problems like UBI did.

@PadreScout, you should check out the official docs and tutorials about the sandbox editor that you can find on any FarCry page. They will explain you how to deal with terrain and texture layers within the sandbox editor to get a result that matches the quality of the ingame maps.

PadreScout

Nov 15, 2004
North Texas (sucks)
Thanks Beppo, I'll have to go look into that. It'll have to be later though. At the moment I'm doing a very small kinda mini-mod for HL2 thats basically battlebots( like from television). Some classmates and I are replacing the player models with simple little "im a robot" models, then we're going to set it up where you play 3rd person perspecitve and ram/flip/hammer/whatever the other battlebot into submission. Its a shorty to take advantage of Sources physics in the engine. Should be fun. So far we've done the models for the bots themselves, a couple weapons and did a test level. Next week in theory the full SDK is being released so we can start stripping the game down and make it our own. Should be a fun. After that I'll definitly have to get my level authoring shoes on and play with the Sandbox some more. Oh! I finally got another copy of UT and now it's time to play some infiltration and get my ass stomped. WOOWEE!

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I would say Doom 3 is probably not a good idea for Inf's next engine. It is probably able to render outdoor environments better than most people give it credit for; according to Raven Quake 4 will actually have some pretty big outdoor areas with lots of enemies and not much slow down, but outdoor is clearly not what the D3 engine was intended for. Given that Inf is pretty big on outdoor areas it doesn't make sense to go to an engine that will create trouble when most of the advantages of the D3 engine probably won't be usefull in Inf. Real time shadows might be a nice touch in certain moments of CQB, but I doubt it would make up for the limitations in other areas.

At the same time, Inf's next iteration may not have such an emphasis on outdoor areas that the Far Cry engine is a necessity. FC can render areas that are miles and miles long, but how likely is it that Inf will have multi-mile maps? I'm sure the Inf player base would grow in the transition to a shiny new engine, but with super-mega-huge maps even a 32-player match would be slower than 1v1 on Extreme Prejudice. If the FC engine proves prone to bugs and/or the lack of support becomes a problem, it may not be worth the trouble given Inf maps probably won't be of the super-behemoth size that is the main advantage of the FC engine.

If all else fails, the UT2004 engine would do just fine. It is still capable of doing large outdoor areas 5x bigger than any current Inf map and look damn good in the process with very little slowdown. Plus, modding for UT2004 is made to be as easy to mod as possible. I don't want to discount the advantages of other engines, but if the complications therein prove too great, UT2004 seems like the reliable, flexible 'safe bet' engine.

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
FarCry, AI and "bots"...

Having played halfway through Far Cry, I can certainly see why a lot of people are pushing for Far Cry's stunning engine to be the next step in INF's evolution, but there has been a number of comments made regarding its AI and bots that needs a little clarrification...

Far Cry does not have "bots" for offline or online play. Those of you who like to dabble in offline play, or who appreciate having bots available for online matches/when the game ages away to the point where bots will be the only opponent to play against, Far Cry simply has not been designed for bots.

It
has single-player AI that can "read" the terrain it's surrounded by. It's just that these single-player AIs are just that, single-player, and they don't fit the classic description of what a "bot" is in every other game that features them.

I think bots can play an important role in games, but Far Cry doesn't have them...yet. It'd be great if the single-player bots could be somehow converted to work in online/offline multiplayer maps, as their single-player AI is pretty startling to encounter.

Kyle
Jan. 7, 2005

:)

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Far Cry, AI and "bots"...

Having played halfway through Far Cry, I can certainly see why a lot of people are pushing for Far Cry's stunning engine to be the next step in INF's evolution, but there has been a number of comments made regarding its AI and bots that needs a little clarrification...

Far Cry does not have "bots" for offline or online play. Those of you who like to dabble in offline play, or who appreciate having bots available for online matches/when the game ages away to the point where bots will be the only opponent to play against, Far Cry simply has not been designed for bots.

It
has single-player AI that can "read" the terrain it's surrounded by. It's just that these single-player AIs are just that, single-player, and they don't fit the classic description of what a "bot" is in every other game that features them.

I think bots can play an important role in games, but Far Cry doesn't have them...yet. It'd be great if the single-player bots could be somehow converted to work in online/offline multiplayer maps, as their single-player AI is pretty startling to encounter.

Kyle
Jan. 7, 2005

:)