Export in Maya 5 PLE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
I got some problems with exporting my models with
Maya 5 PLE that came with UT2K4.
When i try to export, the program says theres no "root node"
and i try the command root node but the program says nothing
else than... Syntax error.

I have activated the unrealed plug-in and read the help file
many times but i dont understand how to create a root node!
Can someone help me?

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
what are you trying to export, static mesh or skeletal animation? if static mesh, make sure the object (polygon mesh) you want to export is selected before trying to export. if your model is composed of more than one polygon mesh, select them all and Combine them into one before exporting

if a skeletal mesh, you need to select the root bone of your skeleton before exporting, as well as having the character set and clips in the Trax Editor.

"root node" is not a MEL command, btw, which is why you get the syntax error response when entering it in the command line.

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
Right now im modelling vehicles so it should be a static mesh.

The export window open, i try to create a package and a group
or try to export it into a another package/group and nothing happens!

Here is a pic
maya-help.jpg

What is happening?

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
as previously stated, you must have the object selected for the export to work. the plugin can't read your mind as to what you want exported. :rolleyes:

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
Ok, now i know how to export but now i got a another problem:
export-complete.jpg

The model is scaled down very much, so now it looks like a bug!
I attached a pic that show how the model WILL look like.

So now my problem is why its scaled down so much.
Also, right now im modeling many differents objects, tanks, aircraft and weapons and also mechs so i might need a mod team.
Because i cant code or skin my models, but i know at least know how to export my models.

Attachments

• UFO-2-revival-complete.jpg
    UFO-2-revival-complete.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Devil_D said:
So now my problem is why its scaled down so much.
the default units in Maya (centimeters) and those in UEd have a 1:1 ratio, so if your model is only a few units long in Maya, it will be tiny in UEd. this is a common prob because Maya's default workspace is rather small compared to UEd, so your model's scale may look OK in Maya, but it can be miniscule when exported.

some things that can help are paying close attention to actual (rather than relative) sizes of models when creating them. get some dimensions of items in UEd that are close to what you want and use them as size guides in Maya.

also, i find it helps a lot to "resize" the Maya workspace (grid and clipping plane settings) to better match what you find in UEd.

and of course you can always scale your models up or down as needed in UEd.

Last edited:

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
one thing that may help a WHOLE lot is if you check out www.3dbuzz.com. They should have the tutorials on making things for unreal there.

however I can give you some direction.

1.) vehicles are not static meshes. they are skeletal meshes, even if you only have a single bone. While you *could* in theory use a static mesh as the vehicle's geometry, it would have to be all custom code.

2.) as has been stated maya's default unit is CM, where 1 cm = 1 unreal unit (uu). Players in ut2k4 are 96 units high equaling roughly 50units per meter. So if you build your model in maya to real life scale then simply scale it down by .5 and it will size right in unreal. Scaleing your model in unreal ed by large amounts (up or down) can lead to render errors or collision errors. Why that is I don't fully know, but its not recomended.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Vailias said:
one thing that may help a WHOLE lot is if you check out www.3dbuzz.com. Scaleing your model in unreal ed by large amounts (up or down) can lead to render errors or collision errors.
could you be more specific -- how much is a "large amount"? and what type of errors might happen? reason i ask is i've scaled meshes/movers upwards of 300 in DrawScale3D and have noticed no untoward effects. but if somethin' starts glitchin' i'd like to know if it might be connected to the scale-up.

danke.

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
I got some problems with scaling the model, because if i try to scale the model the model is totally messed
up and i have to move every object so they are on the correct positions again.
The help index says that i should move my "pivot point", is that right or what should i do?
Or should i combine it? But if i combine i dont know how to render it later (if i can render it...).

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Devil_D said:
I got some problems ...
sounds like currently each of the polygon objects making up the model has its own separate pivot point -- things scale from their pivot point, so they all need to either have the same pivot (by Combining them into a single polymesh), or share a common pivot point position (can be done by using Reset Transformations). you'll have to decide which method is best for your modeling workflow.

btw, spend some time learning Maya's basic tools, functions and terminology. help files and tutorials are available, and just playin' around with the prog can be very instructive as well. investigate the menu items, and try stuff out before posting every time you meet a hitch.