Exploit in shared jails

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I place a new post here to make it easier for you guys to see it.

after some testing I came to a serious but fun bug in shared jails.
Since it is true llamas cannot send players to jail this has an interresting way of release:

1: If you and some of your teammembers are captured wait till the enemy team gets released and a protection field becomes active(already know what I'm going to say?:p)
2: Shoot one of your protected enemies so you'll become a llama.
3: Frag your jailed teammates and they will be spawned out of jail.

And tadaa your whole team is free. you can now commit suicide
(with no penalties since you are in jail) and wait for a release (any release)

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Whoa! That's a showstopper!
Nice work finding it.

I guess the fix is to check where a player is before llamaizing him. If he's in jail, just kill him straight away.

[EDIT] Though it would be more fun to make him a llama anyway, but simply check on his location when respawning the people he kills.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Knew of this prob, but thanks for pointing it out again. Becoming a llama in a shared jail should be completely banned (imagine trying to split an opponent a triple rocket up his ass, he gets released and you llamaized for inflicting lethal damage).

Dunno what a good fix for this one could be though. The main problem is that this is caused be another addon. I could prevent the protection addon from registering this lethal damage like this:
Code:
if ( TagPlayerInstigator.IsInJail() &&
   TagPlayerVictim.IsInJail() && 
   IsProtected(TagPlayerVictim) )
{
Momentum.X = 0; Momentum.Y = 0; Momentum.Z = 0;
return 0;
}

But I dont know if the NetDamage of the SharedJail addon is called before the NetDamage of the Protection addon...

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Unless...

perhaps this is a bit drastic, what do you guys think of this idea:

Code:
function PostBeginPlay()
{
   local JBGameRulesSharedJailProtection SharedJailRulesProtection; //my modified version of the Protection addon, to work with shared jails
   local JBGameRules theseGameRules;
   local JBGameRules nextGameRules;

SharedJailRulesProtection = Spawn(JBGameRulesSharedJailProtection);

for (theseGameRules = Level.Game.GameRulesModifiers; theseGameRules != None; theseGameRules = nextGameRules)
   {
      nextGameRules = theseGameRules;
      if ( theseGameRules == JBAddonProtection.JBGameRulesProtection )
         theseGameRules = SharedJailRulesProtection;
   }
}

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I'm not really involved in fixing this bug but I just noticed the two different discussions of this conflicting. Quoting Wormbo's response in Core Dev. -
Wormbo said:
It's a bug in the JBGameRulesLlamaHunt.CanSendToJail() function. I've modified it now, so jailed players and those involved in an arena match are sent to jail if they are killed by a llama.
So there's no need for a work-around fix, Wormbo's taken care of the general problem.

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Yeah it does, I suppose a temporary work-around in the shared jails add-on isn't really a bad thing. Long-term though once the general fix for the problem is out in JB2004c multiple fixes for the same problem have a tendancy to not get along or screw up something else entirely, it just usually has bad results.

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I disagree, I think we are all looking at nice options for a Jailbreak 200xc update that isn't being worked on, but eh, I'm a pesamistic guy.

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think he isn't working on it cause he's tied with normal life. It don't matter, I'd be gald to help out with it anyway possible (testing is all I can really do).