1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic Games Divulges GDC Plans

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jan 22, 2008.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Epic Games has announced its plans for the upcoming GDC. In addition to showcasing the most recent enhancements to Unreal Engine 3, the following sessions will be available:
    • “Automating Regression Discovery: Finding the Wrenches in the GEARS OF WAR,” will be presented by Martin Sweitzer, programmer, Epic Games. This intermediate-level lecture, to be held Wednesday, February 20, 12:00-12:30, in West Hall Room 3004, will be geared toward programmers, although production and management may also benefit from the talk.
      “UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 Postmortem: ULTRA KILL!” will be led by Dr. Michael Capps, president, and Jeff Morris, producer, Epic Games. This postmortem, to be held Friday, February 22, 2:30-3:00 p.m., in West Hall Room 2001/2003, will cater to all developers, regardless of experience.

2. hal

Press Release:

3. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

What the heck, Dr. Mike Capps? He's a doctor?

4. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

He has a PhD, Although he's not a medical doctor.

I'm thinking of going for a PhD. Having Dr. before you name sound great on a CV (unless you have Pepper as Last Name)

I wonder what this post-mortem is going to be? Are they going to analyse in an honest way why UT3 has failed?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

excuse my ignorance but
    exactly what is a postmortem?

6. jimb0

jimb0 New Member

This is a pretty convenient title, but not in the way they wanted it to be, I'm sure.

Still, GDC is awesome, go Epic.

7. Peccavi

Peccavi New Member

Are you kidding, I would love to be called Dr. Pepper in real life.

Do we know if this will be available as a recording for us schlubs who wish they could go?

8. hal

The term postmortem is most often associated with an Autopsy. In this case it simply means "after the event", with "the event" being the publishing of Unreal Tournament 3.

9. «BuA»Lurker_71

«BuA»Lurker_71 Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg

Hey, what's wrong with being a Pepper? :D

If everyone (or even half) that complained on the UT3 & BU forums about the PC version of the game showed up there, it might start looking more like a funeral... or a lynching... :eek: :catfight:

10. Guyver1

Guyver1 New Member

ironic use of the word post mortem

so they'll be dissecting the corpse that is UT3 and explaining how they killed it in a calm lucid hannibal lecter like demeanor...

Jeff Morris - " I cut out the UI and deleted it with some java beans and a nice bottle of chiante.....phuffffffff..ffffffff.ffff.fffff."

11. Aggressor

Aggressor mutator

I'll defo need to attend the post-mortem. Wanna see what the hell were they thinking with this kind of level design. :D

12. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Sweet I'll have to check these out when I am at GDC next month doing my own little presentation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  13. jimb0

jimb0 New Member

Although I'd have to agree a bit, the word postmortem is used at large in the game development industry in presentations and articles about games once they've shipped, and specially on keynotes at GDC. It'd actually be pretty weird if they used any other word.