UE3 - UDK Editor crashes while building lighting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AliZeroThree

New Unreal Editor User
Sep 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted here much but i was hoping someone here could help me as I am new to the forums and UDK. :)

I am building a map as a design test for a studio and am running into the dead end of the editor crashing when attempting to rebuild lighting. When I check the Log, it is telling me i am running out of Virtual Memory and to free up space on the selected hard disk.

I have 3GB free, I'm not sure if I need more or what. I can however, rebuild lighting on selected surfaces and meshes individually but when I try to build all, it crashes. Has anyone run into this issue? Could it be a problem with the map? Or could it be a problem with my rig?

I've tried: Disabling Lightmass, Trying on UDK March Beta, changing page file size. PC Specs: Amd Athlon 3700 Single Core, 2GB Ram, Nvidia 7900GTO

Thanks for reading.

dmgearbox.jpg

AliZeroThree

New Unreal Editor User
Sep 26, 2009
Los Angeles
I agree about needing more RAM, especially with all the lights I'm building. I did manage to find a work around in case anyone else is running into this. In the Primitives Stats, I noticed I had meshes pushing 128 and 256 LightMap Res. Once I cranked everything down to 64, I noticed I was able to rebuild lighting without killing the editor.
Much thanks to Hourences for his tip, else I would have never been able to rebuild lighting on this rig.

NightGamerFX

Oct 29, 2011
Same problem

I'm having the same problem with UDK crashing upon building the lights. all I have is a few assets and my terrain using the landscape editor. The only light I have in the environment is a directional light.

SPECS:

AMD 6x core 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 560Ti

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Are you on 64 bit windows or 32 bit? If you are on 32 bit it cannot use more than 4 gig because it runs out of memory adress, no matter how much ram you actually have. And that means it will crash.

NightGamerFX

Oct 29, 2011
I have 64bit But I fixed the problem. I was using the August build (2011 of course) and I tried it on September and it works just fine...strange... but it works.