Dynamic Volumes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
Is it possible to create volumes on the fly, without needing them to be prebuilt in unrealed?

I'm making a class that I would like to be able to spawn midgame - basically a staticMesh. I was hoping there would be a way to spawn these objects and automatically have a ladderVolume created around them so that they can be used to climb up.

I've tried just using spawn(class'ladderVolume') and setting up its drawScale3D from that of the mesh (these meshes are of random height), but although spawn throws no compile time error it isnt seeming to have any effect.

Thanks for any help
cheers!

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
I've got that method sort of working now..

I wanted the player to be able to walk straight through the ladder if they wanted to, and climb up it if desired. I've implemented all the code to do that in their controller class, but I'm having trouble with the actual collision of the pawn and ladder.

I thought the best idea would be to call EncroachedBy() in pawn and test if they have intersected a ladder object, then go from there. However i cant work out the required collision properties for the ladder to make it let them pass through but also flag them as enroaching. I'm not sure if it's even possible - can you have enroaching actors that don't block each other?

These are the collision vars I've set at the moment:
Code:
bWorldGeometry=False
     bUseCylinderCollision=false
     bCollideActors=True
     bBlockActors=False
     bBlockKarma=False

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Hmmm that's difficult I believe...I recall seeing something about object-specific collision with the Karma code, try examining the Wiki and Actor.uc.
Other than that I don't think I can be much help in the area of collision.

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
yeah, I already had a bit of a look around and just ended up confusing myself even more. Collision is... difficult.
Perhaps at this stage i'm better off just forcing people to walk around the ladders and using their touch() and untouch() events. It's a lot of a copout but its probably all I can do.