Duke Nukem Forever Using SteamWorks!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2496222 said:
More specificly WOW. I did try and seperate those things out. As a group though I see way more for Valve. Mostly in the form of simple exploit scripts.
There may be "simple exploit scripts", but most people don't care about those, especially for unpopular or already hacked games. There is a particular hack out there for every Unreal game that pretty much lets you do whatever you want to any server. Why would anyone make anything else? This program is actively being banned by VAC, so people HAVE to resort to those dumb LUA exploits (that barely work) or brand new hacks (that are frequently being picked up by VAC).
"You're making a Windows vs. OSX argument here." Or Photoshop vs. Gimp. <-This hints at the base issue for most people. Different strokes for different folks. Steam has no actual alternative, D2D and GFWL are not alternatives. People usually aren't fond of being forced into things.
The alternative to Steam is to not use Steam. It's as much an alternative as consoles are an alternative to a PC (hint, they pretty much are).

Steam has lots of competitors, it's just that their competitors generally suck and are not doing a good job of competing. You can't really blame Valve for that.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Wow, people really think steam is the new Norton Anti Virus don't they? :p

You mean that is used to be a major piece of crappy bloated software; but it has greatly improved and is now one of the best virus scanners around (both detection wise and performance wise).

You mean that? Don't really see that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Norton Anti Virus and improved do not belong in the same sentence together.

It USED to be one of the best virus scanners, however, over the years they have added more bloat than a Microsoft product, and half of its features are practically virus-like in how system-disabling they are.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and easy to disable and extremely simple.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Except that it's not simply DRM. It's an entire service.

You got it wrong.
It's DRM disguised as a service ... ;)

Steam (and the entire 'software as a service'-movement) were never meant to be good things for end-users.
The real benefit is that developers/publishers can maintain absolute control over their product from cradle to grave.

Don't be fooled by the smokescreens.

// ---
Yep ... I'm still alive and kicking.
Pc-gaming is dead (to me) because of 'features' like Steam.
And it looks like console-gaming is about to head into the same direction ...
No worry, there's always "outside" ;)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
You got it wrong.
It's DRM disguised as a service ... ;)

Steam (and the entire 'software as a service'-movement) were never meant to be good things for end-users.
The real benefit is that developers/publishers can maintain absolute control over their product from cradle to grave.

Don't be fooled by the smokescreens.

Steam helped cause 9-11, even before it was officially released. Now that is one terrible program.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Saying it's DRM disguised as a service is ignoring the fact that the extra features actually add value for most people

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
There may be "simple exploit scripts", but most people don't care about those, especially for unpopular or already hacked games. There is a particular hack out there for every Unreal game that pretty much lets you do whatever you want to any server. Why would anyone make anything else? This program is actively being banned by VAC, so people HAVE to resort to those dumb LUA exploits (that barely work) or brand new hacks (that are frequently being picked up by VAC).

The alternative to Steam is to not use Steam. It's as much an alternative as consoles are an alternative to a PC (hint, they pretty much are).

Steam has lots of competitors, it's just that their competitors generally suck and are not doing a good job of competing. You can't really blame Valve for that.

By 'simple exploit scripts' I mean there code isn't complex, It has nothing to do with the level of threat they pose. I have seen multiple ddos and packet flood scripts as well as an injection script that adds stuff to the ini's.

Not using Steam is fine with me. But to play DNF I would be forced to if it weren't for certain details....

This is a ignorant trend IMO.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
lmao this thread is money.

141p6z9.jpg

Abvex

Feb 18, 2008
I just have to say, I loled hard at your sig^

Regarding steam's smoke screen, its a damn good smoke screen to me. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2496283 said:
By 'simple exploit scripts' I mean there code isn't complex, It has nothing to do with the level of threat they pose. I have seen multiple ddos and packet flood scripts as well as an injection script that adds stuff to the ini's.
I don't care what they can do. I'm telling you that Unreal, as an example, has a hack script that can do all of this. And it has never been patched. The only reason it's not more prevalent is that the tool costs money (and the games are not that popular anymore). You're acting like something unique is happening here, however Valve is one of the only companies actually consistently updating their anti-cheat tool, unless you actually think PunkBuster is a good tool.
Not using Steam is fine with me. But to play DNF I would be forced to if it weren't for certain details....
Yes, breaking the law is acceptable if you disagree with the distribution method of a game.
This is a ignorant trend IMO.
I don't see how it's ignorant to cater to the largest base of PC gamers available.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I don't care what they can do. I'm telling you that Unreal, as an example, has a hack script that can do all of this. And it has never been patched. The only reason it's not more prevalent is that the tool costs money (and the games are not that popular anymore). You're acting like something unique is happening here, however Valve is one of the only companies actually consistently updating their anti-cheat tool, unless you actually think PunkBuster is a good tool.

Yes, breaking the law is acceptable if you disagree with the distribution method of a game.

I don't see how it's ignorant to cater to the largest base of PC gamers available.

I am aware of the unreal hacks also, most of which epic didn't touch but fortunatly antitcc got allot of the others. I wasn't saying Valve wasn't the exclusive target of hackers. Just that they seem to be the most targeted ever. I also said that perhaps it's more of an escallation of hostilities by the lamers, but my personal opinion is that it's there crappy coding, I knew some of them back in their quake mod group days and they couldn't code there way out of a cardboard box.

Breaking the law? Nope.

From a business standpoint it isn't, I mean itwill have a negative impact on the industry as a whole.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
How about just release the game without some BS program attached to it? Steam, GFWL, I don't care what it is, leave it out of the game and let us choose to use it if we want to. We already know that that's possible because of what happened with UT3.

Yes, Steam is good, but not for the flippin' physical version of the game. If I wanted to download the game, I would've gone onto Steamworks and bought it instead of wasting time with going out and getting the boxed game.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
How about just release the game without some BS program attached to it? Steam, GFWL, I don't care what it is, leave it out of the game and let us choose to use it if we want to. We already know that that's possible because of what happened with UT3.

Yes, Steam is good, but not for the flippin' physical version of the game. If I wanted to download the game, I would've gone onto Steamworks and bought it instead of wasting time with going out and getting the boxed game.

Then they will just add some other worse form of DRM, and if you like steam you'd have both layers of it.

I'd much rather it be steam than other things, like with Bulletstorm.
(blah)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2496380 said:
there crappy coding, I knew some of them back in their quake mod group days and they couldn't code there way out of a cardboard box.
Because Valve only employs the exact same group of people as they did 15 years ago... I'm not really concerned about Valve's ability to code. If nothing else, their netcode is 400 times better than every single Unreal game.
Breaking the law? Nope.
If you are planning on removing the requirement of Steam from the game, you are breaking the law. Sorry! If you're in the US, the DMCA specifically prohibits breaking DRM in order to make or use copies of a product. There is a similar law in the EU and probably lots of other non-US countries.
From a business standpoint it isn't, I mean itwill have a negative impact on the industry as a whole.
From any standpoint. Releasing with Steamworks integration means they understand what the majority of active PC gamers want right now. There isn't a middleware that I would rather they were using, and I can't really blame them for using one, either.