Download Speed Problems!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I've been experiencing severe download problems across all programs recently. I'm using Windows SP2 through a router and have all firewalls disabled. I can run multiple downloads all running at 30KBps each, but none of them can reach the speed I'm supposed to be getting. They seem to gradually raise ever so slightly to higher speeds, however.

Can someone help me figure this out? I've ruled out spyware, I've done numerous tweaks, and have done tests online. I can't seem to figure this out. My friend uses the same ISP I do and doesn't seem to have any problems, but is in another town, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:

BarneyGumball

Just Another User
Mar 4, 2006
Australialand =]
Olga said:
I've been experiencing severe download problems across all programs recently. I'm using Windows SP2 through a router and have all firewalls disabled. I can run multiple downloads all running at 30KBps each, but none of them can reach the speed I'm supposed to be getting. They seem to gradually raise ever so slightly to higher speeds, however.

Can someone help me figure this out? I've ruled out spyware, I've done numerous tweaks, and have done tests online. I can't seem to figure this out. My friend uses the same ISP I do and doesn't seem to have any problems, but is in another town, so I'm not sure.

SUPER extremely important

are you living in a "rural" town as such...

You could have bad lines which affect it...

Dano-o

Mar 12, 2006
Perhaps not the lines. Programs such as AOheLL will change your RCWIN values and affect DL speeds.
Go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and use the tweak tool. It will tell you your recieve window settings and more, and has a free tool Dr.TCP to dl to help change those settings if needed. Great site, you can also check your DL: speeds there to see if it is just the hosts you are dling from that are slowing you up.

Dano-o

Mar 12, 2006
Have you tested packet loss and run an open ping for a while to see what kind of connectivity you are getting?

Dano-o

Mar 12, 2006
Don't do a ping test on a site. do an open ping from your command prompt to any website. I usually use google.
I assume you know how to do this, but if not:

START
then RUN
type in cmd hit enter
at prompt, type: ping www.google.com -t
let it run for a good 20 minutes to half an hour and see if you get timeouts. I had problems similar to that before I complained enough to get my underground lines replaced. That was COX cable.

Dano-o

Mar 12, 2006
Olga said:
Seems to ping okay.
If you are not getting timeouts and packet loss, I would assume the lines are OK , and it has to do with your provider. The lines could still be an issue, but doubtful. Have you just on the off chance tried switching NIC's? Maybe a driver was corrupted somehow?.. Very very doubtful. I would start to look at your ISP.