Donator's ingenious infinite skins

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
It all started when I watched a little girl on tv play with a barbie doll, and how she put all kinds of different clothes on that doll.
Already curious?
I fire up Ued and had a look at the player skins. I noticed that every skin can be seperated into a "natural" and an "artificial" part (clothes), more or less.
It doesn't end here, so read on.
I recently discovered the power of Alpha textures (had bought a new GForce5600, complex shaders wouldn't work on my old GForce2), and figured that a proper Alpha texture could be used as a mask to seperate those parts. This way it should be possible to paste different textures, or overlays, depends on how the Alpha is made, upon a player model.
Yeah yeah, I'll cut to the point.
There are hundreds of standard textures already, the number of possible combinations is immense, think THOUSANDS of possible skins from 1-4 alpha textures (semi-, anti- and the respective head textures). I've created the necessary textures for a male Gen Mo Kai model and tried out a few combinations, and I'll probably start with different player models right now, as it's just so much fun to have a completely new skin in under 2 minutes :lol:

A few screenies of the first test subjects below.
By the way, is there a console command to rotate the camera so you can see your player model front?

Attachments

• DesertViper1.jpg
    DesertViper1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DesertViper2.jpg
    DesertViper2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DesertViper3.jpg
    DesertViper3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DesertViper4.jpg
    DesertViper4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DesertViper5.jpg
    DesertViper5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 47

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
2 of the major uses for this would be either making customized characters that could work online w/o everyone having to dl a skin. Also, say for example, you want the player to have a torso armor, that leaves the limbs unprotected, give the torso a armor texture.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Anybody with a special preference? Blueish plasma aliens in glass armor? Bio fiends in Borg style black leather? Golden light creatures in cuddley pink? The possibilities are endless.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Here are a few more, a little more extravagant this time, just discovered that specularities and panners work fine as well.

Attachments

• DesertViper6.jpg
    DesertViper6.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 40
  • DesertViper8.jpg
    DesertViper8.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DesertViper9.jpg
    DesertViper9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DesertViper10.jpg
    DesertViper10.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DesertViper11.jpg
    DesertViper11.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 33

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
I always like the Fallout look.

Hmm, perhaps the WarSuit will come back. I started making it for 2k3, but I didnt want to use the old hack of making the player invisable, and placing a new model over them.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Neat idea! :tup:

Donator said:
By the way, is there a console command to rotate the camera so you can see your player model front?
There is. "freecamera 1" puts you in 3rd person view, and the mouse rotates the camera, but not the player. "freecamera 0" puts you back in 1st person mode.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
@Postal: You're sick. ;) Besides, Idoubt I would find such a texture in any of the default utx packages.

@DemonThing3: Thanks. Saves me a lot of trouble, I was just beginning to play a series of deathmatches with frag limit one to take frontal screens.

Here's the revamped stone skin in proper environment, plus a new full gold armor. Anybody feeling precioussss today...?

Attachments

• DesertViper14.jpg
    DesertViper14.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DesertViper15.jpg
    DesertViper15.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
How about a frilly maroon skirt with a fushia tube top?

Plaid?

I love that gold armor, what tex did you use, I may be interested in that.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Eh... wait a sec... :rolleyes:

That's Texture'BarrensArchitecture.Base.gold03ba', CO_Substract-combined with an alpha mixture of a greyscaled standard Gen Mo Kai armor and Texture'BarrensArchitecture.Decorations.wal06BA' (some egyptian symbols), and finaly TexEnvMap'Chrome_cp.Walls.TexEnvMap1' shaded upon it, the standard specularity throughout the chrome_cp pack.

Problems encountered so far:
- Normal game overlays (UDamage and Invisibility) work perfectly right, complex game overlays (Link- and LightningGun hit) make the character look odd. Maybe this can be solved with fallback materials, need to check that out...
- Team skins are named StandardSkin_0 for red and StandardSkin_1 for blue and will be automatically used in teamgames. Unfortunately this only works for bodies, and it does not for head skins. Anybody who knows a solution?

I'm putting together a "Desert Gen Mo'Kai" skin pack at the moment (males only) and will need quite a few unique and diverse character names and background stories for them, so here's your chance, think up something clever and I'll implement it, with full readme credit of course. Maybe there's a secluded desert enclave on arborea (how likely is the WHOLE planet covered with forest anyway :rolleyes: ) or a Gen Mo'Kai ship crashlanded on the Anubian's home planet (how's it called, btw.?) or whatever else comes to your mind...

Last edited:

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Another one, which I'm actually a little proud of. Imported a new Alpha for those fiery outlines, which can now be animated.

Attachments

• DesertViper16.jpg
    DesertViper16.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 44

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
I guess I'll stick with that. Maybe Anubans started taking Gen Mo'Kai slaves and got more than they bargained for...

Continued development on that last skin: pleased to introduce you to Mendos, a pissed Anu Ra'Kai warrior and his Fusion-Gatling atop Mount Magma... makes Mr.Crow and the nightmare folks look like a bunch of weenies, eh? :D

Attachments

• DesertViper18.jpg
    DesertViper18.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 45

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Zombie sounds good, worth a try. You don't happen to know what package the gib skins are saved in, do you?

Another neat one. And yes, before you ask, I did watch "Dune" again recently...

Attachments

• DesertViper20.jpg
    DesertViper20.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 45

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
And the skinning onslaught continues! ... what would the world come to if I started bioengineering? What would be the result if humans and Gen Mo'Kai were genetically and ... ahem... "physically" compatible? Would you WANT to find out? Then meet Sphinx, one of the most charming hybrids who ever graced the tournaments with her presence!

Attachments

• DesertViper22.jpg
    DesertViper22.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 46