Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
A new Epic Pinball with Epic Games themed tables would be awesome, I don't care if it's a new IP or not.

Make it now!

Imagine a Devil's Crush style table with a Gears theme on UE3, and all the people bitching about too much bloom on the ball!
Good times.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
But it's from "The Studio That Brought You Gears of War!" ;)

I really don't understand what the problem with that is. For the past 5 years Epic Games is best known for Gears of War. Only people that have been gaming for 10+ years even know about Unreal and Unreal Tournament being the absolute hit of the time. Or should we also complain that they don't refer to ZZT anymore?

Why can't Epics fans be more like Valve's or Blizzard's fans?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why can't Epics fans be more like Valve's or Blizzard's fans?
Probably because they've been let down so much lately. The core business model at Blizzard and Valve hasn't changed much over the last decade (they still make primarily PC games that are extremely well polished before release and are finely tuned to playing on a PC) whereas Epic's core business model has changed drastically over the last decade (they no longer primarily make PC games and most of their recent PC offerings have been extremely unpolished at launch, and neither of them were ever properly patched or supported).

That said, though, Epic fans tend to be pretty close to Valve and Blizzard fans. The difference at BU is that most of us are UT fans and that's a legacy that goes back long before a 2006 smash hit on the Xbox 360 so we typically end up feeling abandoned or betrayed.

I would go into further detail here, but I'm not sure I'm ready to at this point :)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I'm not sure we are ready

insert lol.

stupid cliffyB, such a camera whore. He's like "I don't do interviews, wait are uyo talkintg aboot mayh game?"

"this **** kicks ass"

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Oh come on, Brizz, eight years is a quite long time to hang on to the hate. What do you expect from Epic when, no matter what they do, Unreal Tournament PC sales are abysmal when compared to sales of other PC shooters, such as Half-Life? Have you seen the player numbers for WoW? Blizzard eclipses Epic in sheer sales and number of employees. Why? Because way more gamers would rather play RPGs than arena shooters. The numbers do not lie. But speaking of Blizzard, do you think they would announce a new release by hawking a game that is not their most successful release? Just like Warcrack and other games such as Halo, everyone and their brother has heard of Gears. On the flipside, most folks either do not know what UT is or they respond with, "Oh, yeah, that twitchy shooter game I didn't like." Why would Epic not tout their most popular and successful series in order to boost sales and popularity of a niche series that is neither popular nor liked by general gamers?

Epic tried to capture a little of that noob friendliness that Halo, CoD and others have with UT3. While adding in a storyline to satisfy HL fans, not to mention taking the game mechanics back somewhat to that of the original game, the mixture just did not take. Even when you disregard the flubbed decisions made by the publisher to release UT3 in a massively unfinished state, the game would never have enjoyed the same kind of success as military or pure sci-fi shooters. Far more players than not like noob-friendly games. It is what it is.

If PC gaming is the primary focus here, then perhaps the site name should be changed to Beyond PC.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Games doesn't have to be noob friendly to have a big playerbase, just take a look at HoN.

It just has to be user-friendly, that means a functional easy to use GUI, minimal effort required to host a game, play on server and to find players/matches.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Oh come on, Brizz, eight years is a quite long time to hang on to the hate. What do you expect from Epic when, no matter what they do, Unreal Tournament PC sales are abysmal when compared to sales of other PC shooters, such as Half-Life? Have you seen the player numbers for WoW? Blizzard eclipses Epic in sheer sales and number of employees. Why? Because way more gamers would rather play RPGs than arena shooters. The numbers do not lie. But speaking of Blizzard, do you think they would announce a new release by hawking a game that is not their most successful release? Just like Warcrack and other games such as Halo, everyone and their brother has heard of Gears. On the flipside, most folks either do not know what UT is or they respond with, "Oh, yeah, that twitchy shooter game I didn't like." Why would Epic not tout their most popular and successful series in order to boost sales and popularity of a niche series that is neither popular nor liked by general gamers?
It's not hate. I still really like Epic and their subsidiaries and I think they are all great people that make great games. I simply find their actions on the PC platform over the last 5 years both confusing and disheartening. I love Gears, it is an awesome game. Shadow Complex and Infinity Blade are also incredibly well done games. I have no doubt that Bulletstorm will be an excellent game, either.

I don't really feel like going into how Unreal could be a household name (so what about UT? They could have a line of SP games that was wildly popular, and tournament expansion packs to them that were largely unknown).

That said, I have no problem with them promoting Gears of War. It's a good series of games.
Epic tried to capture a little of that noob friendliness that Halo, CoD and others have with UT3. While adding in a storyline to satisfy HL fans, not to mention taking the game mechanics back somewhat to that of the original game, the mixture just did not take. Even when you disregard the flubbed decisions made by the publisher to release UT3 in a massively unfinished state, the game would never have enjoyed the same kind of success as military or pure sci-fi shooters. Far more players than not like noob-friendly games. It is what it is.
UT3 on PC is perfectly fine gameplay-wise. They nailed that aspect of the game as far as I'm concerned. Almost every problem I have had or now have with UT3 can be traced back to one core decision: Gamespy. And they aren't instilling much hope in me when they move on from that decision to tossing GFWL into their next two games, a system that is almost unilaterally hated by PC gamers for a variety of reasons. As I said in a previous post, it makes me feel like Epic is being the follower when for so long I've expected them to be the leader.
If PC gaming is the primary focus here, then perhaps the site name should be changed to Beyond PC.
PC gaming isn't the primary focus here, or, at least, not intentionally so. The fact of the matter is that most people on BeyondUnreal started with Epic during the Unreal/UT years and were PC gamers, so seeing their current actions on that platform is sad. It doesn't make their other games worse. I really enjoy all their other games on the platforms they are made for, but despite Epic being in the PCGA and constantly saying they are devoted to the PC platform, seeing their actions on the platform seems to fly right in the face of what they've said. For me, that is sad.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
What do you expect from Epic when, no matter what they do, Unreal Tournament PC sales are abysmal when compared to sales of other PC shooters, such as Half-Life?

No matter what they do? How about, you know, quality assurance? I'm pretty sure that UT3 could have been a hit if the launch was good. If it was originally released as UT3 Black, there would have been much more of an interest, since there aren't that many arena shooters these days, and that means a niche.

There's also the fact that people who read and write on BUF usually use, you know, on the PC.