Do most people LVL edit for UT or UT2k3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

roverxk9

Camping: Day 3, no shower no shave.
Jul 6, 2003
im just curious...seems a lot of people talk about UT map making

roverxk9

Jul 6, 2003
wow, nobody makes maps for ut or ut2003....guess im in the wrong forum =/

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
err, you can't expect 30 replies in a 4 hour period. These forums are a bit dead recently. Most of the regulars have stopped mapping or just can't be bothered to check here. The main problem is that there seems to be no new people registering :con: , so please, stick around! :)
Anyways, currently I make maps for UT2k3 but that doesn't stop me talking about ut if someone has a question or something.

roverxk9

Jul 6, 2003
my bad....the last forum i used would get you a response within 5 minutes, so im kinda used to that. glad to hear someone edits in UT2k3.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
Problem is mapping for UT2k3 has become a bit more complicated & I think thats unfortunatley scared number of would be mappers off. Mind you these arn't the only forums ya know ;)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Actually, I like to still mess about in the old editor. It's sometimes nice to go back to the good old "Build a map in 2 days"

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Bot_40 said:
Actually, I like to still mess about in the old editor. It's sometimes nice to go back to the good old "Build a map in 2 days"

Great, it takes longer to build a map with the new editor.... I take long enough with UT.... :hmm:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I guess it doesn't take that much longer if you use stock meshes, but that's so boring. And imo, you can't say much for yourself if you only use the stock meshes, sure you can still make a decent layout in a map, but when it comes to visuals/atmosphere all you can say is "I am the leetest prefab placer ever". Much more interesting and powerful if you start making your own meshes in max/whatever, though a LOT more time consuming.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Some ut2k3 static meshes are so classic that there's no point in getting arround them.
What I dont like is ppl using high tech meshes in medieval looking levels. That sucks.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
I guess im stuck to 2k3 now.

I find it takes a bit longer to do everything. And I start projects that never get finished. I hate when that happens. You have high hopes for something and get bored of repeating things and end up shutting it off. Gotta really be zoned out to finish something worthwhile. Or have alot of time on your hands.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Up until last week, I was regularly loading up my map in UED, thinking "Hmmm, I can't be arsed" and then closing it :)

It's a sod having to work all day on a computer for a living and then to face the prospect of working all evening on one, all for the sake of a map :/

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Ulukai said:
Up until last week, I was regularly loading up my map in UED, thinking "Hmmm, I can't be arsed" and then closing it :)

I've been doing that constantly every day for the last 3 weeks. It takes so much more effort to get started working on a map at any one time now, dunno why.
With UED2 I could always open the map up, do an hour or 2 at any time no probs. Now I have to be really motivated before I can be bothered to do any mapping.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Motivation, yes.
That can be a biatch. I guess the more maps you make the less you are interested into making another.
That's why I learned coding. :)

roverxk9

Jul 6, 2003
wow, you guys are pretty old members of this forum....i guess im the newb here huh?

about how many different people use these forums on a regular basis?

Just curious...again

Btw, how many of you guys flood your maps filled with static meshes? im tempted to just leave it mostly BSP's with a few decorative meshes.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
I'm workin on a map for the nMSUC. Like Ulukai said, it's hard to sit down and map after being in front of a computer all day, or any work for that matter. Most of the hard core mappers are busy polishing their entries. Those lucky ones already submitted theirs.
I started my map last year in UT, but the BSP was too heavy and shifted off the grid to oblivion. I only a day ago cracked how to bake several static meshes with a single lightmap in UT2003, and find myself working to finish a map with only basic geometry, no skybox, no items, no movers, no pathing in 6 days. No sh1t. I don't think it's gonna happen either :(