UT3 DM-Seven

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
I strongly doubt that a few overzealous commentators posting in a handful of immature map authors' threads are the reason UT3's community is small. Look at all the successful map releases; there's dozens of them, and more pop up every day! It's easy to point fingers, but UT3's community's size has a lot more to do with how the game was at its initial launch than how a few people on some message boards are behaving today.

Sorry to have to clarify, but I meant the Mapping community and not the UT3 community as a whole.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Fair point, but I'm still convinced that the mapping community is doing OK considering how small the community at large is. We are still seeing (mostly very-high-quality) maps turning out almost daily. :)

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
For those of you who are interested, i came across a review of this map on utunlimited:

Gameplay 9 /30

Ramps lead off from the central room to smaller room. These are both the upper and lower floors, this means the layout is too simple. The higher rooms contain an almost impossible to see drop that allows quick access to the lower part of the map. If you spend a little too long the invisible lift will raise you up again. This is very frustrating as you can't see what's going on. There's no real z-axis and visually the materials used make discerning anything out almost impossible. That includes pick-ups.

Not sure what the suggested player count is as there is no readme and the information has also not been included in the ini. It's small enough for a dueller though but can take 3. The bots do OK but it's hard to see if they're stuck or behaving themselves. At least they move around with a what appears to be purpose.

To Glenn

A more complex layout and better realisation of flow is needed here. Also some Z-axis is always nice. I suggest reading through these tutorials from UED guru, Hourences.

Performance 8 /30 (Hardware)

All those high cost materials means that, even in such a small map the frames take punishment, often venturing below 20. This compounds the visual problems and impairs its use as a deathmatch map.

To Glenn

Those type of materials as well as HoMs all take a nasty chunk out of the frames. Try to get as much beta testing done as possible. Be very open to constructive criticism.

Eye Candy 4 /25

Almost every surface has been covered with more than one animated material. What's worse is that a liquid type material has been used. This blurs the edges of any actor that is in front of it. If it's a bot or player then it becomes a headache inducing squintathon. Less is most definitely more with this type of material. Also the HoM effect seems to have been employed deliberately in a lot of places. Especially on the floor.

Lighting is either non-existent or drowned out by the animated surfaces.

To Glenn

Less is more when using the more animated materials. If the player can't see where they're going or what they're aiming at then they'll soon give up. Lighting is also very necessary as this helps build atmosphere.

The Details 2/15

Nothing other than the ini and the map file itself plus there's no screenshot etc but it has music.

To Glenn

Map zips should have at least four files in them: ini; ut3; upk and a readme. The readme is where you hold our copyright information as well as credits and thanks. All are important to a finished map.
Final Score 23/100

While I appreciate that the author was going for a novel approach, it hasn't really worked. The layout's too simple and the visuals too confusing.

Bantis

Jun 19, 2008
Fair point, but I'm still convinced that the mapping community is doing OK considering how small the community at large is. We are still seeing (mostly very-high-quality) maps turning out almost daily. :)

Along those lines it makes me wonder.... I have heard a few times that while the community it is smaller over here (US) it is larger in the EU? Is that accurate? Just curious.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
The first thing I ever did with the Unreal 1 editor was make a massive cylinder with a spiral staircase deintersected in the middle, and added loads of crazy weapon effect textures. I'm just glad I never showed it to anyone except my sister :eek:

We all start somewhere, so I hope if the guy who started the thread doesn't feel too embarrassed, he'll come back at some point ;)

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
First map I did in UT editor was four cylinders with two levels, a staircase going up in each, and corridors between the cylinders on each level.
Each cylinder was also a different colour: blue, green, red (and can't remember the last). I think the texture was this some kind of misty fog flamy thing (it looked like fire and smoke, except it was foggy and one colour).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
My first one was for UT1, just messed around with subtracts, and tried to do stair cases the wrong way, it was a mess, well, not a single brush was on-grid, and everything was unaligned.

My second one also on UT1, personally was kinda like Hazel said, except the staircase was externally all around the cylinder, the cylinder had water in it.

I never uploaded those. It was a long road ahead before I even started submitting.

Cylinders and staircases for the pro's! ;)

We all start somewhere, so I hope if the guy who started the thread doesn't feel too embarrassed, he'll come back at some point ;)

We're forum fag ****s according to him for honest opinions about his submission, really doubt he'll be back with another one.

Last edited: