DM-Gaia][ An Urban Map For Ut2k4?¿?¿

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I'll be done with this one in the next 2 or 3 days so i'm hoping to get a few beta testers before that happens, the zip will be password protected so anyone interested in helping me out please raise your hand!. otherwise i'll end up not releasing anything at all.

Last edited:
Link & Password

sltlk8.jpg

sltnah.jpg

sltnrt.jpg

slto1w.jpg

Here's the link and password:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1391370
Password: widesheets

Note:
is not completly finished.
Layout is done.
bot pathing is done.
meshes are missing collision and some will be replaced.
good for a match or two.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh my. I guess i remember you.
Actualy it's been a damn while, still wonder what happened with real life stuff but seems that you're back at it!

I will download it right away, will post my feedback about it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Alright i just tested it reall quick (about 8 minutes)

First, the feeling is a bit Perfect dark-ish, which is great in my oppinion. If you have to look at the vehicles floating in the sky this is where you get to think that it really start to look like it even more. The flow is great, it's easy to get lost but i think that after a while you get used to it. Another part that iliked is the 'bridge-ramps' that links to each buildings. It's easy to switch to each other after jumping. 1 thing i noticed real quick was the lack of health pads in the level. Health vitals, adrenaline. Also, the redeemer next to the Keg health.

As for the framerates it was good, beside when i looked at the 2 statues at the same time looking at the whole level. There's a lot of details in the level, and the smoke emmiters didn't semmed to lag my FPS.

But good work on it. Nice statues By the way.

Last edited:

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
The map is great to look at and good fun to play when you learn the layout.
I played 2 matches of 25 minute length and can't really fault the map, though playing with the recommended bot count I did find I often ran into an enemy before I could get to any weapon pickups. The dodge jump between the highwalks in the center are tight if under pressure but I guess that's necessary considering the UDamage is close. I did notice that when in spectator mode I could slip between the gap in the blocking volume and the outer wall by the minigun and get backstage and into the void, I realise that's minor and a little nitpicky but since it can be easily fixed....
Health too felt a bit scarce but perhaps this was a gameplay decision on your part.

Can't wait until the final release ^.^

EDIT: One more thing... When playing on lowest possible detail settings the steam denoting the jumppads on the broken pipes isn't visible and makes reaching them in a firefight difficult. If this could be changed so they are constant or there is some kind of placeholder for lower detail players it'd make the map just that tiny bit more accessable.

Last edited by a moderator:

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I loaded this map on my server and we tried it out in TAM....

We had a blast with this map with 8 peeps playing it ...but the biggest complaint was FPS issues and laggy feel of the map

Love the layout and the ambiance you got going but you need to really optimize this alot if you want to see any real online games being played in the map!!

I also noticed some deadends in the map and there needs to be more connectivity between areas cause you get hosed bad if you go down the wrong deadend corrider and your being followed!!

If you play TAM at all you know what a large community it has grown into and this is just the kind of map that needs to be made(minus the deadends)

TAM is the largest DM reg weapons type gametype being played...so if you think of TAM and the community while building this map you might see it on alot of servers!!

hope this helps!!

right now i'm adding the last couple of details, i'll post the link to the map by tomorrow maybe.

Added
2 corridors
1 elevator
1 room
that should take care of the deadends.
also i been trying to improve fps for low detail settings.

Last edited:

muffy

Apr 22, 2006
Nice work. Got this link from UP. The first bug I noticed is that you can walk right behind the terrain on one part of the map (see pic) This realy needs to be fixed.

DM-GaiaBeta3.jpg

And I agree about the TAM thing. Im not a tam player myself But I think this would be best for it.

EDIT: I will have a good run through the map after a coffee. I just wanted to let you know quick about the terrain thing before you decide to release the final. mmmm a new forum to spam:)

Last edited:

muffy

Apr 22, 2006
Ok. TBH I cant realy fault it. Bots work the map well and it has a good layout and look. I only found to other problems but nothing major.

Add some light by the missing bricks as it looks as if you can walk through them + there are some ugly shadows at the sides of the brush.

As for FPS I played it on the highest details and it rarely dropped below 120.

The onyl place that it went below I have in the screen shot. Not sure what you can do about that as it's looking out onto an open area. I havent looked at that part in the editor but some anti portals in the walls may help.

All in all it's a nice bit of work and well worth the time you spent making it. Did you make the statues yourself?

Anyway here are the screens. Hope they help.

Keep up the good work:)

bricks.jpg

fps.jpg

fixed the ugly shadows on the sides of the brick mesh, also added some light to the wall with the missing bricks and how did i missed the terrain part? :p

oh yeah those statues took me 2 weeks to finish had them before i started working on this map months ago. it can't be gaia without those statues ehem!.