UT2kX DM-Azure2k6 Version 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Hi guys,
after almost 16 years I decided to pick up my old map for UT2004, DM-Azure2k6, and fix some of the issues it had. It all started because I noticed that the distance fog I've put on the skybox wasn't enough to cover every side now that I have a 16:9 monitor (which means I never started ut2004 since I got a widescreen monitor!) so why not do a complete overhaul of the level while I was at it? :DD

Fixed some static meshes, created a couple of missing ones, tweaked lighting here and there, modified the DD room and I completely redid weapon and item placement. Here's a short video where I show what's changed and why:

I uploaded the map on Mapraider and Unreal Central a couple hours ago, not sure if they're still active so here's a link from my website while I'm waiting:
DM-Azure2k6 v3 (12,5 MB)
Mirror (Unreal Archive)

Some screenshots if you don't want to see the vid:
azure_shot1.jpg

azure_shot2.jpg
azure_shot3.jpg
azure_shot4.jpg
azure_shot5.jpg
azure_shot6.jpg
azure_shot7.jpg

Of course I don't have any expectations to see this map uploaded on some server after so many years, actually I don't expect it to be downloaded at all :DD but I wanted to fix it for so much time and I'm very happy now that I did it. Feel free to drop me a comment if you try it, though. :))

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Watched the video and DLed it. I'll have to try it once I'm done with trying out about 30 UT3 maps (remaining maps I've been meaning to try since I started WOTs 7 years ago). Looks like you added custom music and that is cool; not sure about the weapon changes though. If the total quantity or weapons/ammo/health has decreased then not sure I will like it. I should give it a go before the end of the summer. Thank you.

EDIT: actually, I'll try this as soon as I finish UT3 maps that actually have threads to post in, which isn't that many more.:DD

Last edited:

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
If the total quantity or weapons/ammo/health has decreased
There is less health than before on the outside because I wanted to force players that might want to camp the courtyard to move inside if they need it. As for the weapons there's still every weapon on the map (except for redemeer), there's just less ammo for shock (2) and light (1) so you might want to be conservative with those two. Plenty of ammo for everything else. :))

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Version 2 (slightly modified original review): strange frozen Egyptian landscape (ruins surrounded by misty canyons); wide-open map with nice architecture and trim, clean textures/meshes and great lighting/shadows, needs more weapons and custom music, needs higher default bot load (5 instead of 3) as well. I did like the torches and a lot of stuff to look at along the way, but lightning gun should be up higher and maybe switched with pulse gun.
Version 3: Some visual changes make for a slightly better atmosphere, especially with custom music. Same great layout as V2 with great flow and connectivity; also liked powerup positions in both versions. There should be more health, vials and pills in V3, not less. The lightning gun should be in rocket launcher spot and rocket launcher back to old V2 spot. The pulse gun should be precariously perched as I suggested for the V2 map. I do like the fact (or at least it seems like it) that V3 seems to have more ammo closer to their corresponding weapons than V2.:2thumb::flak::minigun:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Ah, Azure. One of my favorite maps from UC2 :D
Might have to reinstall UT2k4 for this.

But I'm curious - how did you manage to get UnrealEd to work properly on Windows 10?
I tried but whenever I select anything in the viewports, it takes aaaaages to actually get selected :(

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
But I'm curious - how did you manage to get UnrealEd to work properly on Windows 10?
I tried but whenever I select anything in the viewports, it takes aaaaages to actually get selected :(
Open your Device Manager and deactivate your GPU. Somehow, UnrealEd has issues when using D3D in W10 with a graphic card. I have no idea why it does that and why it fixes it, but after years of looking for a suitable solution, it turns out this is the only true way to make UnrealEd work correctly.

Glad about the map, I have the previous version as well as all UC2 content I could find ported for UT2004, this new version is a welcome addition. :) I always like it, I hope there'll be more.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Hi,

I didn't know the original map, I'm a PC player but I'm glad you still release an updated version even after all these years!

Great work, THX for sharing :D

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
I didn't know the original map, I'm a PC player but I'm glad you still release an updated version even after all these years!
Me too, I managed to try UC2 only because a friend of mine bought it and showed it to me. Had to borrow its xbox for a week, back in the days, just to replicate the layout and extract the textures from the DVD :D