DM-1on1-PolyAtomic Beta1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I like making small little 1on1 maps to try and hone my unreal level editing skill, and I may have finally found one that I'm somewhat happy with. This will be my second release when I'm done, and Im hoping it will be a good one. I dont really play 1on1 DM that much at all, but I'd love it if you guys could give me some feedback on how to make the map better, both in terms of gameplay, or ambience. Or even if you don't want to, feel free to check out this map. So far I have spent about five days building this, and Im ready to lets the mobs rip it open.

Screenage!!
shot051235af.jpg

shot051245cn.jpg

shot051250er.jpg

Get your downloads here!
http://homebrewpc.com/claneif/maps/DM-1on1-PolyAtomic_BETA1.zip

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's not that dark in-game. I'd advise some serious brightening of those screenshots! I would also advise highly against using that support mesh. It has something like 8000 polys a piece, and you have it about 100 times around the level. I got 6 FPS in certain parts on the good ol' MX440. Plus, the way it's skinned, it doesn't look right with the textures and lighting you have.

As for the level itself, it's lacking the 1on1 feel. It's just not interconnected enough, and the hallways are too long and wide. The 100a spot is the perfect camping spot because you can only get to it from one direction, the hallway leading to it is way long, and the entrance to that hallway has the LtG right next to it. I'd scale the map down and add some more hallways to get it flowing more. It needs some more Z-axis play if you can work it in there. The 50a area is a start, but there just needs to be more. Carve out a hallway under the 50a ledge to get you going. Something about the UDamage area feels wrong too... And you can't get out of that jumppad place if you jump down into it from above. Needs stairs or something.

Last edited:

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Alright, Ill work on the visuals. My screenshots cmae out dark, but my gamma is kinda wack. Ill still give it some light though.

Ill definately work on the polys and optimization, I think the map has close to 1,250,00 - 1,500,000 polys. I like the general shape of the support, but the only modeling program I have is ms3d, and lets just say Im not so good at it.

I dont know if any of you play 1on1 DM at all, but some gameplay reviews would be nice. I dont release very many maps at all, so i have no idea if this is good at all. All I can say is that the bots arent too bad, but then again, Im a noob.

Oh, and t2a, try to look for alternat routes to things, i tryed to add soem in. For example, i crafted the generator witht he yellow light strip so you can dodge to the ledge on it, and double jump up. Also, the ladder leading to the 100 shield IS a valid way of getting up. The boxes didnt fall over there accidentally. :p

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It doesn't matter the poly count on the whole map; just whatever's being rendered at certain points around the level. Standing down hear the LtG gun and looking towards the UDamage area kills my mom's computer. But in any case, a million polys is ridiculous. That Griffin map or whatever in the CBP2 only has about 250,000 mesh polys in view at max. If there's no single support that'll fit the shape of your walls, you should be able to find a couple pieces that you can rotate and stick together to create a nice-looking support with less polys. You can also build supports out of BSP and add mesh accents to that. Just vary the approach in different areas of the map so each area looks different.

Cymek, you have Maya. Everyone does. ;)

I knew about the dodge-up to the 50a; it was the first thing I tried. The thing about 1on1 is the map is supposed to have multiple routes in every room to take so you can try to trick your opponent and they can alternatively try to predict your movements. Long hallways and wide-open rooms should be avoided, and ideally, there should always be somewhere you can duck off and change routes. Look at Rankin. It's perfect for 1on1 because of how it's laid out and how every room is interconnected with numerous other rooms. The multiple levels to each room also help create great gameplay. Also, pickups (and triggered sounds) should be placed where they would give an audible clue to where your opponent is. On Idoma, you may see someone go into the lower biorifle tunnel and go to meet them on the other end, but as you start going over there, you hear the water splash, so you know they're coming back out the way they came. That kind of stuff is 1773. :D

A ladder to the 100a is just as bad an idea as having a long uphill hallway leading to it. It needs to be somewhere dangerous, not somewhere easily protectable. Otherwise everyone's gonna spend their time camping there. There needs to be risk in getting it. In Rankin, you have to run down this narrow hall after you grab it, so if anyone sees you, they're gonna start shooting and there's no way you can avoid the fight. The UDamage should be in the most perilous place of all, preferably not even in sight and difficult to reach. Though, ideally, UDamage in 1on1 is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
Cymek, you have Maya. Everyone does. ;)

ey T2A i heard that maya comes w/ UT2004, but where exactly is it?

and concerning the map, lighten up on thems supports, def way to repetetive as nice as they look, they get old

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Just did a run through your level. I'm affraid the only thing I can say that is really good is the music...and I normally never play with music on :(

Optimization is the most important issue: throw out all the meshes if you have to, but make sure your framerates don't drop just by just walking around. It's too wide and open than a good level has (in general). Scale the whole thing down so you can reach everywhere faster.
(yes, I know T2A mentioned this earlier: I totally agree with him on this)

Connectivity is also underused in your map: I don't know why the jump pad is on a lower level than the adjacent floor, but it only hinders everyone. Get it on the same level, plz. The round, yellow platform from the screenie can't be climbed from below (well...not easy, that is). why not?
That alternative route to the 100Armor is too hard to be used; either make it a ladder from the bottom or think out another way to connect this.

...And then there is item placement. To me, it seems like the items and weapons are just dropped somewhere randomly. I really suggest you put the damage amp on the 100 armor position, and think out a good spot for the 100 shield: somewhere easy reachable yet hard to control. Maybe lower the 50 shield platform (so it can be reached both from above and below) and put it over there. Or get rid of it entirely...
Then the weapons: put the lightning gun on a better lookout spot (eg rocket launcher spot), get the flak cannon in a narrower place (minigun spot) and the minigun ...ehm...on the double damage spot? Good DM maps contain all normal weapons, so give the link gun, bio rifle and shock rifle (espec. shock rifle) a good spot as well.
Ammo usage isn't enough: you should at least provide 2 ammo vials for each weapon, and don't be affraid to put them somewhere 'in the area' of the weapon: it provides better flow for free ;)
Health is harder to predict...it's too low as it is, but just changing the scale puts health closer by. Oh, and 4 adrenaline for your entire map? Seriously...players who don't like adrenaline play with the 'no adrenaline' mutator anyway, so there's no need to punish those who play with the stuff ;)

That's about it...Alter what needs to be altered, and bring on beta2 :D

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Thanks very much for all of the advice! Ill take all fo this into account, so that means essentially redoing the entire map. Expect Beta2 to be a while, especially since Im ill be trying to learn maya now.