UE3 - UT3 Divine: UT3 Total Conversion Mod. Melee combat and more!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ChandlerT

Jun 10, 2009
Project name:
Divine

Brief description:
Divine is an Unreal Tournament 3 Mod based primarily on the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors and the Total War series. This is not a mod that is just about new graphics, new story, and new characters, but rather it is essentially an entirely new game. We will be completely revamping the Unreal engine to feature a third-person, melee focused combat system. On top of this, we will be adding pre-battle options including troop placement, troop equipment, and tactics, as well as an in-depth character creation and progression system. All this is coupled with a riveting storyline (I think so, at least) that involves a brand new world full of ridiculous possibilities.

We are currently just beginning production, with our camera nearly finished and the Squad system AI being worked on. We also have some new art coming out soon, so we are definitely beginning to make progress.

Target aim:
My main goal is to first create a working prototype/short demo mod showcasing gameplay, features, and a teaser storyline, possibly three levels long or so. After this I'll be e-mailing/traveling around to see if we have any professional bites. Considering this is a ridiculously high goal, we definitely plan to finish the project no matter what.

Compensation:
Profit Sharing... Oh Wait! (Hopefully you get this joke)

Technology:
Unreal Tournament 3 Editor

Talent needed:
At this point, the shape of the project is completely moldable, meaning anyone joining can easily contribute their ideas to help form this into a game they want as well. If there is one thing I can't stress enough it is this: this is an opportunity to inject your ideas into a project, rather than just working on someone elses goals. While our basic framework is set, there are still many things available to insert, take out, or create, and you can help decide what those are.

Current Needs:

2-3 Concept Artists - Our main need at this time is environmental concept artists, but character artists are welcome to apply.

2-3 3D Artists/Animators - Mainly in need of character modelers at this time (low poly), as I mentioned above that we really have no environments to model. But I'd still love to hear from you if you do full environments, as I'm sure eventually we'll find someone to draw up some concepts. At this time, we do not need anyone who just does crates, barrels, and props.

2 Coders - This is currently our biggest need. We have one, but he just began the transition from C++ to Unrealscript a week ago, so it could take some time. Could really use some help here at this point

1 Level Designer - It would be a huge plus if you did Kismet and some of your own textures/assets, but if you don't, we'll work something out, I could still use you.

1 Interface Designer - This could be filled by one of our 2D or 3D artists, but I'm currently in need of someone to do all of our menu art. In Unreal, menus are done by just overlaying buttons on top of an image, so this person is responsible for doing the image and textures for all the menus. Essentially, just a photoshop guru with a creative imagination.

Team structure:
Current Team:
2 Writers/Designers
1 Coder
2 Concept Artists
2 3D Artists
1 Level Designer/Environment Modeler

As far as what I do: I have no specific talent to speak of, so yes, I'm that stereotypical "idea-leader-guy," but I have general knowledge about everything. I can read code fairly well and understand the level design, but actually doing it, probably not so successful. I have very strong communications skills, learn fast, have a decent chunk of spare time, great leadership ability, and am a pretty smooth talker, so hopefully that gets me somewhere.

http://www.divinemod.com

Contacts:
MSN: Chandler-T@hotmail.com
E-Mail: Chandler-T@hotmail.com

I check either about 1,934 times a day, so whichever is easier for you.

Previous Work by Team:
I coded Collapse in my CS class at one point. I don't know how far that will ever get me, but I just couldn't bring myself to put none.

Several of our artists have worked on some previous projects and have some incredible work to show. I'll be happy to show you what they are capable of through e-mail or PM if you want an idea of our current skill level.

Additional Info:
forumwoman.jpg
forumharvester.jpg

forumspear.jpg
forummutate.jpg

http://www.divinemod.com/about.html

Rather than creating a huge wall of text for the intricacies of the project, I've posted a link above to our "About" page. This has all the planned gameplay features and introduction to the story. Even if you think Dynasty Warriors is a terrible game (Hell, I think it is), I'd like to urge you to check it out anyway, because it really is not all that similar. Yes, there is multiple units on screen, and yes, you played a super-human that slays hundreds of troops, but that is about where the similarities end. The depth and scope of this project is 100x what Dynasty Warriors is, so please at least check us out.

As I mention on the website, please don't let our lack of progress completely turn you away. A lack of progress essentially mean your own ideas have more say in shaping the project. Everyone starts somewhere. We currently have a pretty solid base team and more content will be coming soon. I have no doubt that once we get further progressed that interest will skyrocket as this isn't exactly your run-of-the-mill mod.

All.

Last edited:

ChandlerT

Jun 10, 2009
Unfortunately, no available high-end engines really are as they obviously weren't made for it.

But from what I've heard from a few various coders, Unreal would work far better than Source when it comes to multiple enemies. Also, Unreal is far easier to do more complex animations, giving another reason for choosing it over Source.

Kind of the lesser of two evils, I guess, but hopefully it goes well!

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
It sounds like it will be a neat mod. I do like the dynasty warriors gameplay. The goal is ambitious but with the right team it can be reached. Although this might not be the prime time for recruitment since I think alot of people are already working on stuff for the MSU contest. I hope you find the people you need to make this a reality.

I have heard that UE3 is not that good for showing large numbers of characters, but have never observed it. eg on Warfare++ you can have up to 128 players on fairly open levels. In earlier UTs I have been able to spawn truly massive numbers of Pawns without any major performance hit. Maybe the same isn't as practical online, but some mods are meant for single player or botmatches - especially since the number of players for some mods isn't that high.

Not saying there isn't a limitation, but that what limitation there may be seems to be sometimes exaggerated. Probably you couldn't simulate the entire battle using Pawns. You could use a simplified calculation for distant battles and only use pawns for battles that are happening nearby. (this won't be trivial to do though) Of course this is only one of many possible ways of doing it.

I don't think a naive approach of spawning a couple thousand pawn across an enormous map will work out to well but I would hesitate to say that UT3 can't handle it - if you are armed with the skills to make a reasonably efficient implementation.

ChandlerT

Jun 10, 2009
Brold, my thoughts on coding are on par with yours. While it makes sense that Unreal cannot handle a thousand units in a level like DW can, I do believe we can at least get a reasonable number around 200 in a logical radius.

My initial thought to code this was only model, animate, and make active "decisions" based on a close radius to the player. All other units will only be tallied through variables and an auto-battling/result engine. When the player enters the radius of these previously "numbers", the variables are tallied and the units appear with whatever result they were currently at.

I'm not sure if this is what DW does or if they just have all units on the level at a time, but while it may be difficult, I would think this is really the only way to do it on Unreal.

ChandlerT

Jun 10, 2009
Bump for some new art and new team members. Picked up some very skilled 3D artists who should have some work out soon.

Look forward to hearing from some of you,
Chandler