Digital Extremes Brings Homefront To PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Welcome back, Digital Extremes, to the Unreal Engine! THQ announces that the Canadian studio will be bringing Kaos Studios' Homefront to the PC in early 2011.

Homefront on PC further illustrates THQ's commitment to PC gamers with additional features and options for multiplayer fans.

"Digital Extremes has a superb track record in PC development," said David Votypka, General Manager at Kaos Studios, THQ. "While the team here at Kaos is completely focused on the core Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Homefront, our partnership with Digital Extremes means that PC gamers can look forward to a version of the game tailored to the demands of the discerning PC gamer."

"We're building on the great game that Kaos Studios is making and enhancing it with specific PC relevant features," added Frank De Lise, Executive Producer, Digital Extremes. "PC players will be able to set up and host Homefront dedicated servers and enjoy additional community features including clan support. We believe the core PC first-person-shooter fan will really appreciate these features, which are becoming increasingly rare."

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Homefront™ for PC in Development at Digital Extremes

PC Version to Make its Debut at GamesCom, Cologne This Week

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Aug 18, 2010 -- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced that the Windows PC version of the hotly anticipated first-person-shooter, Homefront,TM from Kaos Studios is being developed by a dedicated team at Canadian-based studio, Digital Extremes.

Homefront on PC further illustrates THQ’s commitment to PC gamers with additional features and options for multiplayer fans.

“Digital Extremes has a superb track record in PC development,” said David Votypka, General Manager at Kaos Studios, THQ. “While the team here at Kaos is completely focused on the core Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Homefront, our partnership with Digital Extremes means that PC gamers can look forward to a version of the game tailored to the demands of the discerning PC gamer.”

“We’re building on the great game that Kaos Studios is making and enhancing it with specific PC relevant features,” added Frank De Lise, Executive Producer, Digital Extremes. “PC players will be able to set up and host Homefront dedicated servers and enjoy additional community features including clan support. We believe the core PC first-person-shooter fan will really appreciate these features, which are becoming increasingly rare.”

Homefront will be demonstrated on the show floor at GamesCom in Cologne, Germany this week. Homefront is scheduled for release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in early calendar 2011.

For more information on Homefront, follow the game at Facebook.com/Homefrontgame or Twitter.com/Homefrontgame.

About Homefront
The year is 2027. Her infrastructure shattered and military in disarray, America has fallen to a savage occupation by the nuclear armed Greater Korean Republic.
Abandoned by her former allies, the United States is a bleak landscape of walled towns and abandoned suburbs. This is a police state where high school stadiums have become detention centers, and shopping malls shelter armored attack vehicles.

Join the Resistance, stand united and fight for freedom against an overwhelming military force In Homefront’s gripping, cinematic single player campaign, and experience epic, ground breaking multiplayer action all set in a terrifyingly plausible near-future world.

About THQ
THQ Inc. is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at http://www.thq.com. THQ, Homefront, Kaos Studios and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

About Digital Extremes
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world’s top independent development studios in the interactive entertainment industry. The Canadian based developer is best known for its co-creation of the award-winning and multi-million unit selling franchise, Epic Games’ Unreal® as well as the highly acclaimed, Dark Sector® for Playstation®3 and Xbox360® using their proprietary technology, the Evolution Engine™. Employing some of the top talent in the industry, Digital Extremes has been distinguished as a Top 100 and Top 10 Employer in Canada. More information about Digital Extremes, its games and technology can be found at http://www.digitalextremes.com/.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Homefront_(video_game):
Wikipedia said:
Homefront is set in a fictional world loosely based on apocalyptic fiction. The premise is that in only 15 years, the USA has not only fallen but "is powerless to resist the ever expanding occupation" of the Greater Korean Republic (which is, in Homefront, a united Korea under the rule of the North)
lol.

With DE behind it, and particularly with a multiplayer element, sounds like something to keep an eye on.

EDIT: Ah, wow; this is my first login in almost exactly a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
sup Shambler, nice to see you. :)

Really looking forward to Homefront. The game was really unfinished at E3, but it still looked exciting.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Well, this is shaping up to be a sale they would have otherwise not had (letting my 360 collect dust).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The game certainly sounds and looks interesting so I will definitely be keeping my eye on it. The game is made by the guys who made Frontlines, which was entertaining but far too politically weighted. Hopefully this one has far less of that.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
“While the team here at Kaos is completely focused on the core Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Homefront, our partnership with Digital Extremes means that PC gamers can look forward to a version of the game tailored to the demands of the discerning PC gamer.”

How many press releases have said this exact thing and been proven later on to be full of ****?

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
Shameless pluggery ahead...

There are better E3 2010 videos (instead of 2009) out and about, for those willing to do some searches.

And for those interested, here's a video explaining the back story for the game...

Homefront BackStory

Cheers Hal - thanks for the mention, ;)

-ArcadiaVincennes

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Other than the interesting plot and backstory I don't see much this has going for it. Gameplay looks like everything else I have seen. I don't know If I can trust them after Pariah.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The trailer leads to believe this game might have an interesting plot, but my interests are none until I see gameplay footage.
Edit: I've just seen 2 videos beside the trailer, and the trailer is probably their best bet at the moment, gameplay looks really MEH.

This game reminds me of those mod makers with a bunch of plot ideas but merely any experience in the industry. Like the lead designer went "let's make this game because Korean invasion sounds cool and all, and try to make something similar to MW2 for gameplay mechanics with what we've got!".

And now I'm reading "From the makers of Pariah" in this topic, nothing helps.

Last edited: