Desktop Earth

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rodzilla

PuF Fossil
No, it's not a google product.

It's better.

This is a damn sweet program that basically gives you a real-time view of the earth from space, on your desktop. The position of the sun updates every 5 minutes (at most). You can turn on city lights for areas in darkness. And you can get real-time cloud updates (every 3 hours at max, which is enough if you think about it...).

Hot: http://codefromthe70s.org/desktopearth_dl.asp

desktopearth_sample.jpg

I've had this for a few weeks and it's damn sweet, especially stretched across a multi-monitor setup. It's depressing to watch the entire country go into darkness and then still be working as the entire country comes back into light...ugh.

Last edited:

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Same here. It's definately a neat toy.

I've got it currently set on crop to fit on my standard 4:3 monitor, so it's not quite as epic as someone with a widescreen display or multiple monitors. But it's still nice, especially at night.

Also, it's made me realize how friggen boring North and South America is. It's just two lumps of rock with lots of water around it. How exciting is that?

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
You know I had this it was really sweet till it started feasting on my RAM.

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
Not sure if that program support other maps, but the Xplanet site has links to others:

http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/

If that program uses the Blue Marble Next Gen day maps, then you probably won't be able to find anything that looks better that's also free. There are a couple of other nice looking night maps freely available though, you can check those out.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
MrSmiles said:
why is that necessary?

why not just plug 3 monitors into your pc instead?
or even 4

With that you only need one output to run all three monitors.

If you hook them straight into your pc you'll need both outputs on the video card, and then an extra card, not to mention software that can tell the video cards how to render on all three monitors. I dont think SLI will allow for that either despite having 2 cards.