Demorec Questiion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Busta Capp

May 11, 2001
UK
Visit site
Why does my framerate drop dramatically whenever I start a demorec?

Does anyone else have this problem?

MY system is:-

1.6p4
256mb ram
gforce3ti200
80gb h/d
win XP

please help meeeeeeee!!!!

Plus.....can't seem to get the framerate above 75....which is pretty lame for a gf3!!!!

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I have never heard of someone getting fps drop by recording demos.

About fps limited to 75, is that what your monitor max can handle at the resolution you use?
If so, you have to disable vsync to get higher fps.

[edit] Typo, it should be I have never .. [/edit]

Last edited:

Busta Capp

May 11, 2001
UK
Visit site
hmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm confused. Is FPS the same as monitors hz?

The reason I ask is I see all these threads about people saying they get 75fps in d3d and 60 in opengl. When you posted that thread with the refresh rate fix I noticed that the refresh rates were exactly the same for both d3d and opengl as the FPS are for d3d and opengl. Is the refresh rate and FPS both the same thing?

mobace

rimmerlike :(
refresh rate and FPS are not the same things, however the values can take on the same amount. if you are vsynched you will max out at your monitor refresh rate from what i have expereienced (assuming your hardware is fast enough to produce that many FPS)

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
so, in order to solve this, do the following:

- install the nvidia detonator drivers if you haven't do so yet. get them at www.nvidia.com.
- after this go to your Display Properties and set VSync to Always Off in the D3D and OpenGL tabs. Also disable AntiAliasing while you're at it.
- open your unrealtournament.ini file with Notepad (you can find the file in your Unrealtournament\System dir). Do a search for "VSync" and set it to True, i.e. : VSync=True. (this will in reality disable VSync. weird but true.)
- save the file and run UT. you should notice an increase in framerates.

hope this helps. :)

Busta Capp

May 11, 2001
UK
Visit site
I checked my display properties - there was an option to turn vsync off on opengl but there was no options for d3d.....and d3d is what I use.

On this here pc I'm using w2k.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
The refreshrate on your monitor tells how many time the picture on your display is updated. So, if your monitor runs with a refreshrate at 75, it means it updates/redraw the picture on your display 75 times per second.
FPS = Frames Per Second. Your FPS can never get higher than your monitors refreshrate with vsync on. Vsync will hold back the frames from been drawn to fit your monitors update of the display.

Do what gramps told you about disabling vsync in unrealtournament . That will help you to get higher fps but it can also cause some flicker on the screen

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
the question I have always had is this, why does FPS matter. Your eye can't distinguish anything above 32-35. So your 75 looks just as good as my 32, and a 5000 FPS would look just the same, except that the higher you go the less time your eye has to accept the incoming information. now in my film class we learned that to confuse the eyes sometimes movies would move at about 90 FPS, because then your eye would only recieve part of the information, and no two people would see the same things.

I say be happy with 35, you are seeing it as the eye was designed, anything over is straining your eye, too much under and you can no longer see what is happening clearly.

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
hmmm...nevermind, I just read an article on this, it turns out that the FPS from games isn't quite the same as the FPS from your tv.

as it turns out 60 fps on your computer while playing a game is equivalent to about 30-35 fps on say a tv or movie screen.

so ignore that last thing i said and keep bumping those fps higher, apperently when it comes to games you can make out as much as 200 fps quite clearly.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Answer

Search for [Engine.DemoRecDriver] in unrealtournament.ini

NetServerMaxTickRate and LanServerMaxTickRate are the maximum FPS when recording. Simply raise these numbers.

Default is 60, which explains the drop from 75.

But stop whining. I get about 30 on my GF2 GTS.