Déjà Vu - Gryphon Revisited v2.0 RELEASED!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The final map on the other hand is still as bad as it was.
Now the final fight has even gotten worse.
There's still only 1 scubagear...

What's coop about this map ???
It is, despite the excellent visuals, a very boring map to play.
And a terrible boss map :-/ shame!

I've deleted that map.
Shrug. It's the only map which has dissapointed me. Otherwise I'm satisfied the way deja vu 2.1 turned out.

Last edited:

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Mr. Prophet wasn't available to work on his map for version 2, although he had a year in which to do it. He has since come on the USP forums and slagged the gameplay of his own map off, which really wound me up (he hasn't even played it yet).

I had quite a few maps to take care of for version 2 and Mr. Prophet's was one of them. Most of my fixes were single player-oriented, although I did take the measure of fixing the pack circulation so that it goes back to map 01 in coop. I also tried to sort out the playerstarts in coop but don't think I was entirely successful.

I improved the map for SP gameplay, but it's still a long trek from start to finish, and the drowning thing ain't good either. I guess our more thorough coop testing didn't exactly get this far, otherwise something would have been done about it.

Last edited:

Stakhanov

Invisible Pink Unicorn
Apr 7, 2002
France - Paris 14eme
Visit site
Interesting map pack... the first maps are easy and comforting , then the next ones are downright nasty. Constricting cellars , a scary blend of forgotten temples and skaarj outposts , and trapped catacombs...

Jul 2, 2004
NeoNite said:
Eightball maniac!

Edit: See you got help from "lighting hunter". Credits to this guy as well.

Map 15 looks awesome now! It has come to live! (so to speak) It breaths, it oozes atmosphere. The lighting is splendid now, onp grastexture (right?), the skybox is pretty nice :tup:, excellent use of sounds. So much that map has changed...

More skaarj I think, but that's hardly a problem.
Although I think the first sniper rifle should be moved a bit closer but it's not that big of a deal anyway...

Actually, I did all the improvements on EBMs map for 2.0. :p Glad you enjoyed it!

I felt that EBMs map had lots of potential; this is the reason why I aligned all the textures, improved lighting, added in different combat in a few sections, and added in loads of new dynamic and ambient sound effects. I spent a lot of time on this map because I felt the game play in the original 1.0 version was great! :)

Jul 2, 2004
Hellscrag said:
Hey LH

Haven't seen you on the DV feedback threads @ USP since release. Your map USP-03 is kicking arse at the Critic's Choice polls.

We need you to vote on the threads, too. :)

Hey,
I've pretty much just been reading all the comments the last few days. :)

I'm going to play through Deja Vu again, now that all the maps are linked together properly (even though I play tested each map about 10x each before the release). I'll post on the polls once I do this. :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Whewwwww.. that map "temple of novana" almost gave me a headache. SO MANY TRANSLATOR MESSAGES! Too many! Too many!

>_< Well, maybe it's because I'm feeling a bit tired now. I'll test it when I'm feeling more awake, but ... there are honestly too many messages and it can get quite irrirating.
Not that much, but...

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
everybody was moving to fast in coop for me to really enjoy it, though it was a blast
I think I'm having more fun with it by myself as I get to take my time and enjoy the views and actually get to read the translator messages

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
re Translator Messages: That was always the problem with v1.01, but I thought the balance had been redressed in v2.01. I like it now, although yes, it is wordy at first.

So are you playing thru Deja Vu in SP mode, then?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sarevok said:
everybody was moving to fast in coop for me to really enjoy it, though it was a blast
I think I'm having more fun with it by myself as I get to take my time and enjoy the views and actually get to read the translator messages

Fast co-op games suck. I know, I know! People just rush through the levels and before you know it:

connecting blablabla new level..

Where's the fun in that really.

Try 3's monsterhunt. Normally the games are slower there, because the regulars there like to check out the surroundings or hang around after finishing the level.

Edit: But don't talk too much, or you'll get kicked. 3 likes to think just kicking you is a nice hint. Instead of warning you first (I don't even see why it's necessary one should be kicked for "talking too much").. but no.

Good server, weird admin.

Last edited:

Stakhanov

Invisible Pink Unicorn
Apr 7, 2002
France - Paris 14eme
Visit site
NeoNite said:
Btw I hate maekh ;Op ! He joined before I could, when I was about to enter "the palace of chizra". From what I understand it's supposed to run (slightly) better now.. and well less enemies. There weren't that many anyway. Just too many plants in your view.

Uh , I have version 2.01 of Deja Vu , yet the Palace of Chizra is freaking impossible (at least on hard mode and higher) , numbers wouldn't have been a problem if they were just scouts... but no , there are skaarj lords everywhere , as if it were an armed forces meeting. Huge swank , yet you're lucky to find more than 1 nali fruit per island. While it's possible to survive for a good while outside the palace , attempting to cross the entrance triggers your imminent death , thanks to ambushes and large patrols of skaarj lords. If that weren't enough , several giant mantas creep in the swank , and you're distracted by countless gasbags as well as elite kralls inside.
Even with quicksave/quickload whoring , it's borderline impossible to progress on this map. I haven't found a harder one since Xidia escape. Godmode becomes tempting...

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Hmmm.

Yes, Palace of Chizra is difficult. You've got to take it one fight at a time. Start out by grabbing the Flak Cannon and ammo on the island near the start and deal with the two Skaarj there, and then collect the fruit on that island.

Don't approach the palace yet. Head clockwise round the swamp and take out any stray Skaarj you find in that direction. As you get near the palace, more fruit can be found in the vicinity, and if you head to the outlying building to the left you'll find a large stash of ammo. There's also a huge amount of health in the central room of the palace's ground floor.

Don't try to fight the Skaarj amid the trees - lure them out into the water, where your vision is unrestricted - and don't run away into unexplored ground as you'll just attract foes.

Also, check your inventory for Nali Fruit Seeds. You can plant these on dry land to grow a whole Nali Fruit in seconds.

This map is more tactical than many, which I think is why people have trouble with it, but I felt that we'd brought the previous combats more "up to speed" with it in this version.

Last edited: