death messages

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
i brought this up not a couple of months ago... but i still think death messages should be brought into the game.... maybe not a chat box where it says who killed who, but maybe where it displays 'You were killed by So and so"

i know the hardcore realists will say 'no, how realistic is that?' well for that i tell you, you're dead, who's to know you won't know who killed you after you died? i just find that really annoying, being killed by someone and not knowing who it is, so i can say 'NS so and so' or damn he's good or something of that nature....

please put this in the game.... thank you

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Not knowing who killed you destroys much of the 'social event' of online gaming. Claiming it's not realistic is a ridiculous argument in the context, since we do have 'ghost mode' and we do have a chat function when dead, just as we can vote for maps, change loadouts, etc., etc. *None* of that is realistic, it's just part of the format called 'online gaming'.

E.g. If your screen went black and all sound ceased when you were killed and you would never find out who won the round in the end that would be realistic, but no fun at all. Having no death messages is down the same road, only a little less far. I want to know who killed me, both to be able to congratulate the player on his skill and so I know if I suck in general or if one particular player owns my backside. What's wrong with that, compared to being able to cruise around the map after I'm dead or being able to change loadouts? I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been changed yet, it's such a deadweight on the fun of a game while adding only a minor point in realism.

Make it a client option, at least. They bring no advantage to the one that has them, they just add a little fun and cameraderie. Those that want realism can turn the messages off if they feel it's that unrealistic. I sure hope they don't fly around in ghost mode then either though.

Xenomorph

Death Incarnate
Jan 11, 2000
LV-426, "Archeron"
www.d3fx.com
I would like to see death messages a la CS, but to make it fair to those hardcore realists, they could make it a server-side option. Maybe not showing what weapon someone was killed with, but something along the lines of "Bob was killed by Joe."

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah, you see I would agree if the entire issue of "Are death messages realistic" would not appear so completely out of place to me in the first place. How can someone seriously insist on not having death messages because it's not realistic when - as I said before - you have ghost mode, after-death chat and what have you. It's absurd. It's much less realistic being able to scout out enemy sniper positions and recon the map after death than any kind of death messages ever could possibly be. Even if they came in the form of a small clown with a big nose and smelly feet that danced across your screen playing the trumpet and juggling big orange ping-pong balls. You are dead. Exactly *how* that is communicated to you is irrelevant, because realistically - religious and other beliefs aside - you would never know in any case, once you are dead. You might gueass at it shortly before dying, but once dead, you would be just that: dead. You cease to exist. No "damn I died" no nothing. Just no more you. Death messages in a game just spell out a message that is otherwise transmitted anyway by the fact that you can't control your character, your view is face-down or in third person around a figure lying in it's blood - but none of this is realistic. Since it's unrealistic anyway, why not go with the option that is the most fun, creates the best cameraderie and spirit of sportsmanship? ...?

And, again, I won't even get into the 'ghost-recon' mode.

So I'll stick with my clientside option request. There is no disadvantage in not having death messages and I think it's more fun knowing who killed me. I don't need the flashy graphics like in CS, just give a simple text message.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
THE argument against death-messages was/is that not knowing who you or the enemy killed brings a kind of suspense to the game.

Because IRL you won't know how many enemies are left.
Knowing who killed you, would (in theory at least) let you keep track of how many opponents are still in the game ...

But a little message telling you (and only you) who was responsible, might add something to the social side of the game. Instead of each and every time you die, I think reducing this to the last time you 'die' would be enough.

The only problem is that on public servers not everyone cares enough for it to matter to them. It only gives the pathetic whiners & loosers (*) out there another reason to complain about someone else ...

(*) The kind of player that screams 'cheater' or 'camper' whenever they get killed ignoring the fact that their killer simply was better than them. Unfortunately these "people" are out there playing the game too. :(
Just hope you they don't breed ;) and you don't run into them on-line

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
As a hard core realism fanatic, I say this is a bad idea.

i know the hardcore realists will say 'no, how realistic is that?' well for that i tell you, you're dead, who's to know you won't know who killed you after you died.
Well, its also possible that you don't get a message. When you take into account that we do not know what happens after death for sure, you must assume there are infinite possibilities. Therefore, the chances of you knowing who killed you after you died in real life is 1 / infinity. i.e., it is infinitly small.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
As a hard core realism fanatic too.

I don't want any message like that. And i think the frag count, should be removed!

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I totally disagree with bringing in death messages on the following grounds.

1) It would make fiegning your death a useless exercise in futility, because your opponents would have an one hundred percent accurate means to tell if they had hit and killed you or not.

2) It's not realistic. While someone is playing the game very few things are unrealistic. By playing I mean someone who is still alive. Once a player dies, he is no longer "playing" Infiltration, so then I don't mind if they add thing to make the game enjoyable, even if they are realistic.

3) It will be abused. An effective strategy in CS clan matches is to hide your entire team in some out of the way location and leave one man to "guard" the hostages. They would then wait to see when he got killed, and rush out and attack the other team from behind. It worked because they knew that the death messages were one-hundred percent accurate all the time. As it stands now in Infiltration it allows more options as far as stealthy tactics. Right now a supressor has a purpose, it's hard to hear. Which allows a team to stealthy get behind and take out the guy they have guarding their rear, then sneak up behind them for a devastating rear attack. This simply isn't possible when a big text message comes up saying "JoJo the rear guard was killed by Sneaky" when you kill the rearguard.

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
1)well i didn't say kill messages did i? heh

2)death messages not realistic... geez, i thought i explained myself.... i didn't say the chat box like in CS, where it says Bob was ripped apart by Joe's m16... i meant when you got killed it would say on YOUR screen and YOUR screen alone... You were killed by Bob.... i hope that makes it clear...

whatever you're argument against this is, you can't say this is not realistic... and if you have wiggle your way around it and say it's 1/infinity chance.. then well... your argument is about that big as well....

3)abused- see my reply to #1

i just don't get you hardcore realists... it's a video game... it tries it's best to be as real as possible and for that this mod should be commended cause in a way it's fun... but you have to realize you have to sacrifice some of it for the sake of it being a video game... i'm not saying turn this into CS... and i know some of you will turn right around and say that... this is ONE feature which would be good for the game...

and suspense well... gawd, everytime i hit up an inf server and someone dies, they say, who the hell killed me? yeah suspense, more like annoyed... and should anyone be annoyed while playing a game?

maybe everytime u guys die, u should bash your comp into little pieces, that'll go for some realism...

TheSniper

Im Everywhere!
Mar 18, 2001
Well if a message "only told you" and nobody else who killed you, then it wouldnt destroy any gameplay.

=CreepingShadow=

Apr 5, 2001
Chicago
archive.org
After reading this I have concluded there is one solution. The death messages would appear...yet only after a round.

This way, everyone will know who killed them and with what weapon, yet it would <I>NOT</I> provide any information in-game.

This would also make getting to the end of the round that much more enjoyable for ALL, as they can determine what happened during that round. On the most basic level it would simply answer who the hell killed them, and also who the better killers are, and with what weapon(s), etc. What does that do? It adds an underlying yet "infamous element" to a certain player, or players, and others would know to look out for him. That <i>is</i> realistic in certain warfare...Marine snipers in Vietnam developed a larger than life reputation among their VC counterparts to the point where a large cash bounty was placed on the heads of many of our more elite snipers.

Hell, a short 15 second chat during this "end-round screen" while the next map (or another round loads)wouldn't be bad either.

Realistic? As pointed out earlier there is much to INF (ghost flying etc.) that remains very unrealistic. It would just add another element of fun to online INF.

I should mention that this feature would be completely one sided, only you would be able to read who killed you in-game. Maybe there could be an option to turn this feature off, for all the die hard realists out there.

Last edited:

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Death message

I think that only I should know who killed me. If this happens when I die or after the round is over, same difference. I also know it's 100% realistic. Just talked to god and he assured me that when you die in real life he tells you who killed you(just k).

Death messages also are an aspect of the vote to kick feature coming in 2.86. There are going to be people who are going to be wrongfully accused of being TK:ers and then kicked off servers anyway so why not try to prevent this, at least a little.

Cobra or Creeping Shadow, same thing to me.

=CreepingShadow=

Apr 5, 2001
Chicago
archive.org
There was an issue brought up that while in-game, knowing who killed you (and where they killed you at) could ruin online play thus offering an unfair advantage to the other side. I simply agree, and that is why I came up with the above idea.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I think its a great idea to see who killed you. If done like cobra suggested it wouldnt do any harm. It would make INF a lot more social and fun.

Xenomorph

Death Incarnate
Jan 11, 2000
LV-426, "Archeron"
www.d3fx.com
You are all forgeting that this is a game. No matter how much you true, you cannot completely make this game realistic. It's just not possible with today technology. And if it was completely realistic, no one would play, for some of the very same reasons people don't fight in real life. Being that it's a game, you have to make it fun. Death messages are just that, fun. Its fun to see who killed who. And you could always make it a server-side option, so there is no problem with that. If you don't want death messages, just go find a different server. And hey, I've said it before; if you want complete realism, go join the Army. I for one want a realistic game, but not at the expense of the fun factor.

Well, I guess my rant is over. Flame if you want.
/me puts on asbestos suit.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
xenomorph... if you don't like where this simulation is goiung then maybe strike farce is more your stuff.

Fortunately the inf team are going for a bigger then life apoproach anfd will try to make this more a simulation then just another game so death messages are a nono and they will stay just that.

The fact that it is "just a game" really doesn'ty hold up since inf is not just a game, it's trying to be just a simulation and simulation=realism.

so tough cookies to you and all the other people who want to turn this into just another "realistic" POS game.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Seriously, the_fur, I think you are overreacting. There will always be concessions to be made in INF. Why do we have ghost flying, end-game scores, messages saying which team won, even when one team was killed in its entirety? Why can we change weapons between rounds? Why can we select uniforms, wear sunglasses, choose headgear? Select weapons? How many armies let their regular troops select what firearms their troops use? Hell, many spec ops units won't even allow it. So is it realistic? Hell no. But why is it in the game then?

Because it would not be fun otherwise.

Who wants to wait in front of a mute black screen until the next map loads without knowing what team won? Nobody. So it wasn't done like that. The same goes for death messages. Knowing who killed you is fun because you can talk to the person about it. - You are dead anyway, so any kind of message, movement, action, display, sound, whatever is very, very unrealistic. Knowing who killed you does not make the game any *less* realistic than not knowing it, as long as nobody else still alive is informed. Again: You are dead. The fact that you can wait for the next round to start is already unrealistic, so whats wrong with knowing who killed you? I'm amazed this is such a problem.

Think about it. You lose absolutely *nothing* in realism if a dead person is informed on who killed him because the person is dead and for the purpose and considerations of realism *non-existent*. He's in never-never land, flying high above the battlefield complaining about lag and looking for good hiding places for the next round. So the hell what if he knows who killed him? He's gone, and nobody else still playing will ever know. Realism is not really even part of the argument here.

Nobody wants death messages for *everyone* in the game à la CS as in "X killed Y with a SIG". All we are asking for is that we - and we alone - be informed upon our death of the person that killed us so we can start cracking jokes. That conflicts in no way at all with realism.

Last edited:

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I don't mind dead people seeing who killed em, just not with what weapon. Because this gives them an unfair advantage if they use voice communications. They now know where and what the oponent is armed with.

Anyway i was not going specifically against death m,essages for the dead as long as the living stayed completely uninformed about any casualties they inflicted.

BTW wolf the end round when everybody is dead might change in the future as soon as goals are implemented.