DA2 - Making things clear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I got my internet back finally, it was broken down for like 3 days.

Anyway, I have been reading forums from another computer and I am ready to reply regarding my thoughts about DA2.

I am not going to bother to mention that we have had a lot of problems regarding team members laziness, plans and "whats next" part. Those things are known to this small community we have.

The first and most important thing that I must clarify, especially to FluXs, is that PvB was never cancelled in my mind and I believe noone else had it erased from their minds either. So, I would appreciate any comments that lean towards against me such as "aBs does not want to go PvB and thats messed up, that was DA and what DA2 should be" to stop existing.

Now, you are probably wondering, what the hell is in your mind then?
This thread will, hopefully, clear up things regarding my view in the future plans of DA2.

Lets take the facts down right.

- I am not Dante, my coding skills are very limited. I can understand code and code certain parts but that does not mean they will work flawlessly as well as online, since my biggest issue is replication of variables and functions.

- We have, realistically speaking, no modellers, skinners or animators currently available to work. Yes, we do not need any new models right at this moment, but when it comes to PvB we will require new models, skins and of course animations.

- We have, this is about to change though, no playgrounds aka MAPS, to play. We have [D]s first map (GJ btw), Nicks (cant wait as I saw first pics) upcoming and one from fluxs I have yet to see pictures, except the new main menu map which looks very good by the way. But thats about it. Old-skool DA:UT community playres as well as team members will know that DA:UT, unique as it was, lacked replay value. We did provide a lot of maps but then, but imagine getting DA2 with a total of 3 maps. First week gone and the mod will be uninstalled or whining will appear in forums about how repetitive the mod is.

Current status of the code for team members and community

The code currently is more PvP focused but as in some other replies I have mentioned that the code can work out as PvB as well. The objective system is there, the bots will attack/defend accordingly and players too. The only option is that you can now join either side and become an attack or defender or both at the same time. Does that ring a bell? DA:CE? Buggy as it was it offered the same thing and I think if DA:CE was polished it would have been the best version out there. It was not polished because I coded most of it and I sucked even more back then.

The first thing I agreed with fluxs is to switch the GUI around and get our own. GUI also includes a new HUD. All those are planned and they will be done. The second thing I agreed with Nick and most of the members is to give more skills to each class, as right now only the weapons seperate each class.

My ideas:

- The medic should get a healing radius, in which nearby friendly playres will get ... duh healed. I have coded a short version of it and it worked but it still needs some work.

- Buildable system by mechanic that we can offer a variety of things. As well as repair current turrets in maps.

- More turret variations. Right now the DFA Turret acts as a gauss gun that shoots a big "tank shell" that blows up the enemy. I have a second skin of the turret which can be used as a minigun turret to mow down the enemy instead. Different attributes of health, ROF etc.

- Polish everything client side related. I can test on my same computer the online play and I am aware of most of the bugs.

- PvP or PvB does not matter, vehicles would be a great addition in DA2.

All these things are possible, with some help of Dante online for some coding hints, to be done by me. I am willing to do that.

To finilize this thread:

I am not against PvB but under the current circumstances with the current skill level and "workforce" we are better off with PvP as its easier to get done, improve and as someone said boost the moral of the community and the team itself.

I do not have that much time to spend online and trying to hire new talent. I am at my 3rd year in university and my time gets more and more limited.

I do not think most of the current team members have the time to really look for new talents.

PvB then can be expanded from PvP, as there are many features included already, and of course appear in later versions.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Hehe, I was one who said boast the morale.
Its good to see you all still wanting to get PVB done, but as said above COOP play gets old more quickly, so you guys really need an unbelieveable solution to get people interested in the mod.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
howdy, my net will be up this week. engineer coming to fix it, something broke in the outside box which im not allowed to fix :(

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
spec_x said:
lol, what is it with you and HL2? :p

-DX9 Graphics (as well as DX6+ for scalability)
-Has AI and monsters
-Has decent physics system (karma and UT2004's use of karma is terrible to say the least)
-Far better model and animation system
-Larger community
-Stable tools (don't crash when you breath on it)
-Support for XSI
-one of the best (if not the best) netcodes available

once the HL2 SDK comes out, we'll see what the source code is like

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
bleh, the sdk will be ass :p I'm more excited to see unreal 3 and the new tools, which isn't in the too distant future ;)

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
spec_x said:
bleh, the sdk will be ass :p I'm more excited to see unreal 3 and the new tools, which isn't in the too distant future ;)

It's better than UE2 UED (HL2's 9 points look system would be really useful for DA2 over UT2kx's lame procedural look/twist). And comparing HL2 to UE3 is about as stupid (if not stupider) as comparing Doom 3 to UE3 :p (completely different generations of engines). UE3's tools look awesome (can't wait to try out that material system), but since we wont see it for another year or 2 (which is pretty distant), it's not worth mentioning yet.

Last edited:

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
I wasn't comparing the engine, just the tools :p I've never liked worldcraft/hammer, I don't think there's anything valve can possibly put together that I'd be happy with anyways, but that's just because I'm biased ;)

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Yeah, hammer is pretty lame (WYSIWYG my arse!), but it's freaking simple to use. The model side of HL2 looks a lot nicer and simpler than UED's. Hope they release some docs soon.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
I don't think going to HL2 will be good since most of the team members are already familiar with UED, so taking the time to learn WorldCraft (or to use it as good as UED) means the mod will take even longer to be made.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
q_mi_4_3 said:
I don't think going to HL2 will be good since most of the team members are already familiar with UED, so taking the time to learn WorldCraft (or to use it as good as UED) means the mod will take even longer to be made.

Yeah, i know. I wasn't terribly serious. I might port it my self with abs but by no means wish to have DA2 for UT2004 shut down.

BTW, it would probably take a couple of hours for someone to learn worldcraft. It's that easy, but it's also that basic. UED is far more complex and indepth. Can't wait to see a bug free (as free as a program can get) version with UE3 ;)