D:

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I usually am uninterested in games that have a significant RPG element in them. The only game that I've completed with those elements was the Pokemon gameboy games, I never completed Deus Ex :> Much to my surprised I actually like and am still playing this game. I accidentally played 11 hours straight a while ago.

Anyone else like this game when you usually don't like RPG games?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I like RPG games, but I prefer action-oriented game for the most part. Other than weapon/item loadout (which has become more and more a part of first-person-shooters over the years) the only other choices you really get are side missions and skill points. Loot, challenges, and weapon-leveling are really just rewards for doing what you'd be doing in a shooter anyway. Gearbox hit the sweet spot of decisions vs. action, imo.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
More action from borderlands in fallout.
more interaction from fallout in borderlands.

I like the online part, but game/story-wise its nothing special.
At least the claptraps are funny.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
At least the claptraps are funny.

Opinion is valued, but to me if the claptrap had a throat I would slit it

If he had balls I would castrate him

If he had a mouth instead of a voice recorder I would staple it shut.

Fact of the matter is claptrap could win the most annoying video game character award.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Other than the very loooong beginning of the game sequences, you really don't deal directly with Claptrap that much. Unfortunately, he's also the guy that badgers you about new missions being at messageboard x, so maybe part of the reason he irritates some is due to his role in the game.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Unfortunately, he's also the guy that badgers you about new missions being at messageboard x, so maybe part of the reason he irritates some is due to his role in the game.

Correct. You cannot get to a bounty board or npc quick enough without him nagging you every few minutes. Nothing more annoying than being on a quest and having to hear "Greetings traveler new missions are available at the [insert town] bounty board."

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
That bothers people? Never really paid much attention to claptrap's stuff, thought it was helpful to have him say where the new missions are.

And to reply to the actual topic, I can't really relate, RPGs are the main type of games I play. I like quite a few genres, but RPG has to be the genre I sink most of my game-time in.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Correct. You cannot get to a bounty board or npc quick enough without him nagging you every few minutes. Nothing more annoying than being on a quest and having to hear "Greetings traveler new missions are available at the [insert town] bounty board."

Even worse is when you're talking to an npc to cash in on a quest and he then informs you that the npc has a new quest available for you.

Yes, thank you, Claptrap. I can see that on my screen.

Are Gearbox afraid to get sued or something?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Claptrap is the Jar-Jar Binks of video games.
nah, CL4P TRP is awesome.

de-doo-doo-de-de-doo-de-doo
check me out, I'm dancin'!
oh c'mon, get down!
am I leaking?

as for the topic: I like RPG games sometimes, but I'm an FPS'er at heart.
I love Borderlands because it's the best of both worlds.

it satisfies the little collectible gun-nut who dwells within my gamer ego. he loves to collect stuff and play with a wide variety of radical weapons. the game rewards you for seeking out all sorts of booty, similar to Fallout3. but searching for junk in Borderlands is actually enjoyable, it doesn't become tedious and boring and feel like a chore in Fallout.

the game also satisfies my action-hero who has been repressed lately thanks to way, way too much storytelling and cutscenes that take up more time than gameplay.
Borderlands lets you get right to the action, right away.
fire it up, select your character, and within seconds you're on your way to blood-splattered shooting spree.

in the midst of a video game culture filled with super high res graphics and "OMG PHOTOREALISM," Borderlands has managed to do so many things right in their pursuit of reviving that classic gaming atmosphere we all fell in love with.

I really hope that their plans to expand on it do not compromise this updated-retro experience I am so thoroughly enjoying at the moment. so far, Borderlands really is the best pure shooter to come along in a decade.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Hmm...I like RPG games a decent amount, so I can't say yes to this thread's question. I do however like my RPGs to have some in-depth gameplay in them. I actually prefer Final Fantasy XII over its predecessors, despite a crappy story, because I found its gameplay to be challenging, fun and addictive. Story, something I consider RPGs to center on, does not lure me into games.

Borderlands is borderline-RPG, which is what gives it its charm. It skips all that story-crap for a lot of shooting and looting, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Really "RPG" parts are just a bunch of stat adjusting and gear managing. That's hardly role-playing and more just a matter of playing.

I don't know what I'm saying. It's fun to shoot things in this game.